Cgybronc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 F350 9"-38s/'15 F350 8"-37s/'10 GT500"stock"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First question, has anyone actually seen a twisted or sagging tail gate on the bronco. Couldn't find anything on IG or searching here.

The spare setup I want to run will weigh 147lbs (40" nitto trail grappler on stock rim) and the max load for the tailgate appears to be 133lbs. Will the extra 14 lbs destroy the tail gate? Doesn't look like there's a ton out there for 40" tires and the adjustable ones that are available are $$$$$$.
Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes, I’ve seen two twisted tail gates in person. One was a 35” tire (run hard). And the other was a 37” tire. Neither tailgate had reinforcement.

40” is too much for your tailgate even with reinforcement. You’ll overstress the hinges and mounting location on the body during off-roading. Either get a bumper mounted spare carrier or forgo the spare at that size. 40” is a beast to remove. There are plenty of kits such as glue tread that work well to get you home.

OP
OP

Cgybronc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 F350 9"-38s/'15 F350 8"-37s/'10 GT500"stock"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, I’ve seen two twisted tail gates in person. One was a 35” tire (run hard). And the other was a 37” tire. Neither tailgate had reinforcement.

40” is too much for your tailgate even with reinforcement. You’ll overstress the hinges and mounting location on the body during off-roading. Either get a bumper mounted spare carrier or forgo the spare at that size. 40” is a beast to remove. There are plenty of kits such as glue tread that work well to get you home.
I've contemplated a tire repair option, problem is it can go down to -40 for about 6 months of the year here and I doubt any of that stuff works at those temperatures.

Might have to look at a bumper mount.

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I did not like any if the oferings for a bumper tire carrier, which is what i wanted so I went with this.
https://turnoffroad.com/products/2021-ford-bronco-hd-tire-carrier-tailgate-reinforcement
It has the beefest (so far as I can find) hinges that i can find. Not crazy about mounting to the tub but it has been done for yeara.
Now i am doing 98% rock crawler stuff ao will not have the impact of high speed deiving and jumping (thats what my Braptor is for!!) I do really like that the tailgate hanges off of the bracket, not the other way around as well as it keeps the function if the gate stock.

Only time will tell.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

First question, has anyone actually seen a twisted or sagging tail gate on the bronco. Couldn't find anything on IG or searching here.

The spare setup I want to run will weigh 147lbs (40" nitto trail grappler on stock rim) and the max load for the tailgate appears to be 133lbs. Will the extra 14 lbs destroy the tail gate? Doesn't look like there's a ton out there for 40" tires and the adjustable ones that are available are $$$$$$.
Two words.... Bumper mount.

Sponsored

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Those reinforcements are a scam. So you move the twisting of the tailgate to the hinges and mounting point to the vehicle. The hinges are still carting the weight. To the guy that says I go slow and just rock crawl, you don’t think all that slow twisting of the frame is protected by stamped steel? 🤔

strap the 40 to the roof

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
There was a video of a few blowing out back windows and photos of the dents from twists. I don’t know for sure but I would bet you’d destroy a tailgate with Some of the higher speed stuff.

I’m getting the apg rear bumper with spare mount and the rear winch. Blah blah blah I don’t trust bolting a big ass tire to aluminum.

costly, yes, but cheaper than a blown out tailgate or a broken rear window.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those reinforcements are a scam. So you move the twisting of the tailgate to the hinges and mounting point to the vehicle. The hinges are still carting the weight. To the guy that says I go slow and just rock crawl, you don’t think all that slow twisting of the frame is protected by stamped steel? 🤔

strap the 40 to the roof
For non-stock 35s or any 37s tailgate reinforcement is fine. The problem isn't the hinge bending, it's the tailgate slipping down on the hinge. The reinforcement solves that issue.

NOW would I put a 40 on a factory hinge even with reinforcement, NO!

Do I think the OP should be putting 40s on Wildtrak, NO! Gonna break an axle (likely ring and pinion) if they do any real off-roading at all. 40 is too much tire for a half ton axle. Too much rotational mass.

Last edited:

PCDan

First Edition
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Let’s see this rig with 40s !! That’s a LOT of trimming to do with 40s