First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI and Ford Ranger Edge 5spd
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I picked up a 2023 4 door obx non sas and the first thing I did was swap tires to 275/65/18 bfg trail terrains. They are the same 32 inch height as stock, just .8 inches wider. My first drive on the highway it was pretty shaky. Took it back to installer and they rebalanced all the wheels. Took it on the highway again, it was better but still a bit shaky at 75mph. I had the installer ride with me and they agreed something is wrong. He ordered two more tires and swapped the ones that used the most weights. It definitely rides better, but I still have a very slight vibration in the steering wheel at 70mph to 75mph (lane keep assist is off). Hunter road force was used to balance, tire shop is well respected. So, after this whole fiasco I doubt it's a tire balance issue. The steering wheel doesn't shake, it's more like vibrations. I just feel like it should be smoother like everyone else says on this forum "it's butter smooth ". Definitely not butter smooth for me. I'm going to re torque when I get home, I doubt that's the issue anyway.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Ford Bronco Steering wheel feedback vibrations 20230717_102013
Sponsored

FoxFour281

Black Diamond
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 02 Expedition EB
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

bfg trail terrains
That's a pretty chunky tire. I've noticed that if my grabbers are inflated to 40-42 psi, they will transmit a bunch of vibration and shake. 38 psi and lower they really smooth out. Mileage will vary.

OP
OP

Geomanis

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's a pretty chunky tire. I've noticed that if my grabbers are inflated to 40-42 psi, they will transmit a bunch of vibration and shake. 38 psi and lower they really smooth out. Mileage will vary.
It looks chunky, but it's more on road focused than the all terrain Ko2. Tire shop said this is a favorite for jeep grand cherokee owners and it has a smooth ride. I have psi at 36 all around.

OP
OP

Geomanis

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Update: Tire shop is helping me swap into another brand. Hopefully that helps as these BFG's are not cooperating with the bronco. I think I'm going with falken wildpeaks. It's a shame because I love the looks of the BFG's, but the ride is not smooth.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I picked up a 2023 4 door obx non sas and the first thing I did was swap tires to 275/65/18 bfg trail terrains. They are the same 32 inch height as stock, just .8 inches wider. My first drive on the highway it was pretty shaky. Took it back to installer and they rebalanced all the wheels. Took it on the highway again, it was better but still a bit shaky at 75mph. I had the installer ride with me and they agreed something is wrong. He ordered two more tires and swapped the ones that used the most weights. It definitely rides better, but I still have a very slight vibration in the steering wheel at 70mph to 75mph (lane keep assist is off). Hunter road force was used to balance, tire shop is well respected. So, after this whole fiasco I doubt it's a tire balance issue. The steering wheel doesn't shake, it's more like vibrations. I just feel like it should be smoother like everyone else says on this forum "it's butter smooth ". Definitely not butter smooth for me. I'm going to re torque when I get home, I doubt that's the issue anyway.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Ford Bronco Steering wheel feedback vibrations 20230717_102013

I cannot speak for every one here but I can tell you this.

If I say it rides "butter smooth" you just have to remember one thing. I grew up driving solid axle, no power brakes, no power steering CJ5's and many other old trucks that would make just about anything in todays world "butter smooth". 😁

Not every ones "butter smooth" means the same thing.

If the tires are a higher load rating than the stockers then it will transmit more road noise. And ride stiffer. OEM tires are soft and made to ride nice.

Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

sportcoupe

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd never call the BFG All Terrain a chunky tire. It's a mild AT.

To compare, SAS comes with a mud terrain.

OP
OP

Geomanis

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not every ones "butter smooth" means the same thing.

If the tires are a higher load rating than the stockers then it will transmit more road noise. And ride stiffer. OEM tires are soft and made to ride nice.
This is what was puzzling me the most. I thought maybe this is just how the bronco drives? But my 2011 f150 with half worn tires drives smoother on the highway than my new bronco. I don't think that makes sense. I'm even planning to test drive another bronco just to compare.

The tires are a passenger load. They feel soft and give a great ride on back roads. Just on the highway it's constant vibrations in the steering wheel and doesn't give confidence at speed. It kind of feels like I have a rock stuck in a wheel throwing the balance off (I checked many times for rocks).

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is what was puzzling me the most. I thought maybe this is just how the bronco drives? But my 2011 f150 with half worn tires drives smoother on the highway than my new bronco. I don't think that makes sense. I'm even planning to test drive another bronco just to compare.

The tires are a passenger load. They feel soft and give a great ride on back roads. Just on the highway it's constant vibrations in the steering wheel and doesn't give confidence at speed. It kind of feels like I have a rock stuck in a wheel throwing the balance off (I checked many times for rocks).

Ok got ya. Yes the Bronco should ride the same as your F-150 generally speaking, I have an 08 F-150 and it rides like the Bronc. Sounds like the balance may be off or you still have a bad tire on there.

OP
OP

Geomanis

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am happy to report that the issue has been fixed! It was just bad tires that wouldnt balance right. The tire shop let me swap to Falken wildpeaks at no charge. They were a night and day difference. Thanks for your help everyone!

USSCajun

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 BD, Sas, 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You can get KO2’s in a P rating if you are mostly blacktop. Much smoother than the LT.
Sponsored