First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I'm debating on getting the Stinger offroad tailgate sub enclosure but the one thing that has me concerned is the extra load on the tailgate. My Bronco has SAS, so obviously the 35" spare tire, and I'm wondering if adding this sub box to the tailgate would overload it? According to their website the speaker and enclosure weighs 30 pounds. The SAS wheel/tire weighs 88 pounds, so 118 pounds with everything on there. Is this too much? I would rather not buy the rough country tailgate reinforcement because I'm not crazy about the way it looks, and I don't feel like spending money on something I don't even like.
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I'm debating on getting the Stinger offroad tailgate sub enclosure but the one thing that has me concerned is the extra load on the tailgate. My Bronco has SAS, so obviously the 35" spare tire, and I'm wondering if adding this sub box to the tailgate would overload it? According to their website the speaker and enclosure weighs 30 pounds. The SAS wheel/tire weighs 88 pounds, so 118 pounds with everything on there. Is this too much? I would rather not buy the rough country tailgate reinforcement because I'm not crazy about the way it looks, and I don't feel like spending money on something I don't even like.
I think if you put a tailgate support you'd be fine.

dangerfoot

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dangerfoot.com
Vehicle(s)
White Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

LIkely fine - especially if you keep stock tires around. Think about it this way - stock tires are ~52lbs, most off-road tires this size are ~80lbs and engineers know that people will go with other tires down the line.

OP
OP
Squatchn'

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
LIkely fine - especially if you keep stock tires around. Think about it this way - stock tires are ~52lbs, most off-road tires this size are ~80lbs and engineers know that people will go with other tires down the line.
That's a good point. I do plan on keeping the stock tires. It would be nice if I could find a max load rating for the tailgate. I mean they provide that for pickup tailgates, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't provide that for this type of tailgate.
Sponsored