First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2022 Ford Bronco outer banks edition. For the past three days it has had problems. Initially, it would not start (completely non responsive) but then started perfectly a few minutes later. Later, after shutting it down it would not restart for several minutes. Today, on two separate occasions it completely shut down while at a red light and was completely unresponsive. I could not open windows or turn on flashers for several minutes, but after several minutes of being completely dead it started normally. Oddly, the only thing that seems to help is opening and closing the door several times. I called the local Ford dealership who told me they have no idea but if I drop it off they will be able to have someone look at it in a few weeks. I then called the national Ford customer service line and was told that they could not help until the problem was diagnosed.They suggested that I drive to a different dealer which I thought was a dumb idea since the car is unsafe to drive like this. I dropped it off at the local dealer but am now carless without a clue when I will get the car back. If anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong - or how to get Ford to do something please let me know.
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Id start with double checking the battery connections as well as the Fuse Box Terminals in the engine bay.

I would inspect the AGM battery, load test it, and swap it out if there is anything of concern.

It might simply be a key fob issue, try using your alternate fob for a day or two.

If neither of those have an effect, its unfortunate to say but it'll most likely need some diag time at a dealer to pinpoint a harness/module issue

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
or how to get Ford to do something please let me know.
What are you wanting Ford to do?

As pointed out, it sounds like something electrical. Did you perform any of the above checks before dropping it off?

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@Boreal good advice right there.
The issue certainly sounds like a battery/power issue so starting with the easy stuff is best…

OP
OP

podad3

Outer Banks
First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Battery tests perfectly. And would be surprised if a harness or wiring issue as the car shuts down and then eventually starts while being parked/stopped. I’m thinking either a control module or software issue.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
You say that, but that behavior sounds exactly like a power problem. A poor quality ground or power connection that, as it heats, builds resistance reducing battery voltage causing the vehicle to die. Then that cools off and passes electricity again, so you start it up until it heats again and kills the power.
The Bronco like all vehicles made in the last few years have specific power requirements that require a very small voltage range. If the battery voltage drops below that range, it will just completely shut everything down. Battery cable connections, positive and negative need to be very secure.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Battery tests perfectly. And would be surprised if a harness or wiring issue as the car shuts down and then eventually starts while being parked/stopped. I’m thinking either a control module or software issue.
On my first Bronco, the starter died suddenly at 15,000kms. Perhaps yours is a tad kinder and is giving you a heads up that its on the way out the building.

It seems electrical for sure. Best of luck!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 2022 Ford Bronco outer banks edition. For the past three days it has had problems. Initially, it would not start (completely non responsive) but then started perfectly a few minutes later. Later, after shutting it down it would not restart for several minutes. Today, on two separate occasions it completely shut down while at a red light and was completely unresponsive. I could not open windows or turn on flashers for several minutes, but after several minutes of being completely dead it started normally. Oddly, the only thing that seems to help is opening and closing the door several times. I called the local Ford dealership who told me they have no idea but if I drop it off they will be able to have someone look at it in a few weeks. I then called the national Ford customer service line and was told that they could not help until the problem was diagnosed.They suggested that I drive to a different dealer which I thought was a dumb idea since the car is unsafe to drive like this. I dropped it off at the local dealer but am now carless without a clue when I will get the car back. If anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong - or how to get Ford to do something please let me know.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  
And here they are to (not) help!!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like loose connections. There are several known spots that need attention. Receive any checklist that helps out a lot.

Since you're losing everything, I would start with two areas...

1) Make sure all your fuses are fully seated. 90% of my fuses were not pressed in all the way when I picked up my Bronco.

2) there are three bolts that look like they hold your fuse box down...(which they do) But they also go into the wire hardness plugs that attach your fuse box to the rest of the electrical system. Those are always too loose from the factory. (They do go into plastic I believe so be careful and just snuck them up... Going back and checking them again after a few heat cycles)

3) all the ground, battery terminals, and fuse box terminals in that vicinity.

Beyond that, there was a known issue about some plug not being fully seated into a module behind the glove box somewhere. I think they even released a TSB on it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

podad3

Outer Banks
First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sounds like loose connections. There are several known spots that need attention. Receive any checklist that helps out a lot.

1) Make sure all your fuses are fully seated. 90% of my fuses were not pressed in all the way when I picked up my Bronco.

2) there are three bolts that look like they hold your fuse box down...(which they do) But they also go into the wire hardness plugs that attach your fuse box to the rest of the electrical system. Those are always too loose from the factory. (They do go into plastic I believe so be careful and just snuck them up... Going back and checking them again after a few heat cycles)

Beyond that, there was a known issue about some plug not being fully seated into a module behind the glove box somewhere. I think they even released a TSB on it.

Thanks. Ford got involved. Dealer looked at it. Said it was negative battery terminal had loose connection. I don’t know if that’s true because the car would stop and then start minutes later without any movement or jarring that would reconnect it. But I guess I’ll see.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With pre-puckering, wondering.....horrible. I pray it works.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks. Ford got involved. Dealer looked at it. Said it was negative battery terminal had loose connection. I don’t know if that’s true because the car would stop and then start minutes later without any movement or jarring that would reconnect it. But I guess I’ll see.
this is very common...after buying mine first stop for gas and it wouldn't start. dead, nothing...I opened the hood and flexed hard shaking all the battery terminals and whiz-bang it got juice again...

so after staring it, and pulling out of the gas stall, I pulled out the handy bronco tool pouch and used the 10 milli to tighten up the fools work... in fords defense I just suspected since mine sat on dirt Mountain for 6 months that they probably unhooked the battery to protect things from going dead, and then the underpaid goofball that hooked it back up it just shoved it on there and drove away.

Fasteddy

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Door, 1992 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had a Focus behaved same way, poor ground connection on negative terminal to body ground stud, scraped paint off stud and worked perfect...
Sponsored