First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well hell…now you all made me lie to my kid. Maybe Ford put 120 on the dial because that is as fast as it would go without any governor/limiter.
All that said, I have no plans to ever find out but nice to know I can punk a Prius if I have to.
Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I’ve been wondering what is the top speed of the 2.7? …..
Low range is what matters and in 4L the top speed is about 35, depending on what t-case and axle ratio you have 🤣

R1Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford explore sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
109 aired down and in really soft dirt flats....
20221106_111318.jpg
View attachment 441355
IMG_5620.jpg

105 mp

Great shots--and where is that mudflat? I had my BL/Sas at Bonneville last year, but there was recent moisture, and I didn't feel comfortable putting it to the test.

Getting to the thread issue, I did 105 on Utah State route 36, from Vernon to Tooele UT (35 miles) slowing down as traffic and development warranted, with my GY territories at about 36 psi. A good, well-paved two-lane, and I felt comfortable and safe. The Bronco may not be built for high speed, but she handles well in the 100 mph range.
105 mp

Great shots--and where is that mudflat? I had my BL/Sas at Bonneville last year, but there was recent moisture, and I didn't feel comfortable putting it to the test.

Getting to the thread issue, I did 105 on Utah State route 36, from Vernon to Tooele UT (35 miles) slowing down as traffic and development warranted, with my GY territories at about 36 psi. A good, well-paved two-lane, and I felt comfortable and safe. The Bronco may not be built for high speed, but she handles well in the 100 mph range.
Thanks....This was in California off of Death Valley Rd between Baker and Dumont Dunes...

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Taco2Bronco I did some back of the envelope calculations and came up with 130 MPH for non-SAS Big Bend or Outer Banks. Base would be 5-10 more. Badlands would be 5-10 less. Sasquatch would be even less. But of course the safety lawyers have the limiter set around 101.

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/horsepower_calc.shtml

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Taco2Bronco I did some back of the envelope calculations and came up with 130 MPH for non-SAS Big Bend or Outer Banks. Base would be 5-10 more. Badlands would be 5-10 less. Sasquatch would be even less. But of course the safety lawyers have the limiter set around 101.

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/horsepower_calc.shtml
That seems pretty far off of what they could actually do. In a perfect world, Sasquatch with the 10 speed can go 173 in 10th gear at 5k RPM.
It would eventually run out of power to keep pulling, but that would be far past 130.

But let’s be honest, none of this really matters. Anything over 100 in a Bronco is completely unnecessary.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Meh, I’m old. I don’t think I’ve ever intentionally broke 80. 🤷🏼‍♂️😂
I downshifted two gears (7 sp Manuel Tranny) to pass one of those dipshits doing 42 in a 60mph zone, I looked at the speedo, and I was doing 80!
And I'm trying to grandma this thang around until I get it broke in.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That seems pretty far off of what they could actually do. In a perfect world, Sasquatch with the 10 speed can go 173 in 10th gear at 5k RPM.
It would eventually run out of power to keep pulling, but that would be far past 130.

But let’s be honest, none of this really matters. Anything over 100 in a Bronco is completely unnecessary.
@Ducati1098 - Exactly how did you calculate this? Please show your math.

While I’m sure your Ducati (nice bike by the way👍) is limited more by RPM than aerodynamic drag, that’s certainly not the case for the aerodynamics of the Bronco.

If you can get 173 MPH out of a stock Bronco then I highly recommend that you quit your day job and become a NASCAR crew chief!

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Ducati1098 - Exactly how did you calculate this? Please show your math.

While I’m sure your Ducati (nice bike by the way👍) is limited more by RPM than aerodynamic drag, that’s certainly not the case for the aerodynamics of the Bronco.

If you can get 173 MPH out of a stock Bronco then I highly recommend that you quit your day job and become a NASCAR crew chief!
Just a simple gear ratio calculator you can find anywhere using rear gear ratio, transmission ratio, tire height and RPM.

I’m not saying the bronco can get to 173, but I also don’t think it would struggle to go over 130.

Even using the horsepower calculator you posted, I don’t see how you think a Sasquatch bronco could only go 120-125. My bronco on 37’s is still pulling very hard all the way up to the limiter.

Out of curiosity what numbers did you use for drag coefficient, frontal area and weight?

I would say DC is about .50
Frontal area is maybe 25 sq. Ft.
And weight about 5000
That shows only needing 163hp to hit 120

Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just a simple gear ratio calculator you can find anywhere using rear gear ratio, transmission ratio, tire height and RPM.

I’m not saying the bronco can get to 173, but I also don’t think it would struggle to go over 130.

Even using the horsepower calculator you posted, I don’t see how you think a Sasquatch bronco could only go 120-125. My bronco on 37’s is still pulling very hard all the way up to the limiter.

Out of curiosity what numbers did you use for drag coefficient, frontal area and weight?

I would say DC is about .50
Frontal area is maybe 25 sq. Ft.
And weight about 5000
That shows only needing 163hp to hit 120
Your frontal area of 25 sq ft is optimistic; 5x5 is a small UTV.

Total Frontal Area (calculated from Ford Bronco Specs of width & height, plus additional for mirrors, luggage rack etc) = 43.5 sq ft
Guestimated CD ~ 4.55 (Jeep wrangler)

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pssshhh. I did 105mph in 4L.
Noobs.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your frontal area of 25 sq ft is optimistic; 5x5 is a small UTV.

Total Frontal Area (calculated from Ford Bronco Specs of width & height, plus additional for mirrors, luggage rack etc) = 43.5 sq ft
Guestimated CD ~ 4.55 (Jeep wrangler)
Yeah frontal area is definitely not that high. Not sure how you’re calculating it, but it’s certainly not 100% of height x width.

An h2 hummer is roughly 26-27 sq ft, a Jeep wrangler is about the same. I doubt a bronco is almost double those.

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Faster than I will ever see. If I wanted fast, I go buy another Ducati or even better...the new Mustang Dark Horse looks awesome.
Sponsored