Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2021 with the 2.3L 4cyl in it. It did not come factory with a towing package, but I added a hitch in the fall (mainly for towing my small flatbed trailer and using a hitch/haul for cargo) but I just bought a boat and am wondering if I'll have any issues towing it.

With a 3500# capacity, I'm under the weight parameters but I'm just curious if there's anything else that I need to factor in.

Dry weight of the boat (Sportsman 207 Masters) is 2,000# and the dealership said that with a full tank of gas and the trailer included I'd still be just shy of 3,000#

I used the Rough Country Class III Receiver Hitch, which said it can handle 3500# and 350# of tongue weight.

I have moved my dad's 18' Boston Whaler a couple times at the lake house, but mainly just hooking it up and pulling it from the driveway to the boat ramp and backing it down. No interstate trips or long hauls.

Anything I'm missing? Or am I overthinking it and good to go. Also if there's anything I need to add please let me know.

Pic of my ride for attention

Ko1oiBj.jpg
Sponsored

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Assuming the weight given by your dealer is accurate you should be good to go. Trailer brakes aren't required in most states for a light boat trailer, but although not strictly necessary they're always a plus.

OP
OP
MagicCecil5530

MagicCecil5530

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Assuming the weight given by your dealer is accurate you should be good to go. Trailer brakes aren't required in most states for a light boat trailer, but although not strictly necessary they're always a plus.
Thanks. We don't need trailer brakes in SC with something this light. I'm having a local shop who did my lift/tires look over everything today when they do an oil change and rotation to make sure everything looks good on it. They're also the ones who wired the trailer lights.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You're probably fine. I towed with my Jeep for years, and the Bronco is a directional dream by comparison. You can sort of relax while driving.

Question: does your trailer have surge brakes?

Check your tongue weight and make sure it is at least 300 lbs, and if your loading out for an extended trip, try to keep the weight over or just forward of the trailer wheels. (The one time I had sway problems—with the Jeep—was on the highway, when we loaded for a vacation and had too much weigh aft.)

Also, you might consider a load balancing hitch if the Bronco squats too much. (Just ordered one for mine.)

Ford Bronco Towing Question - Boat IMG_3833 2.JPG

OP
OP
MagicCecil5530

MagicCecil5530

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You're probably fine. I towed with my Jeep for years, and the Bronco is a directional dream by comparison. You can sort of relax while driving.

Question: does your trailer have surge brakes?

Check your tongue weight and make sure it is at least 300 lbs, and if your loading out for an extended trip, try to keep the weight over or just forward of the trailer wheels. (The one time I had sway problems—with the Jeep—was on the highway, when we loaded for a vacation and had too much weigh aft.)

Also, you might consider a load balancing hitch if the Bronco squats too much. (Just ordered one for mine.)

Ford Bronco Towing Question - Boat IMG_3833 2.JPG
Not sure if the trailer has surge breaks, I doubt it.

Planning to pick the boat up today and take it to the lake one night this week, then pull it down to the beach (2 hour or so drive) and take it from Murrells Inlet down to Georgetown on Saturday

Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You sound good to go with those numbers.

Keep in mind that towing capacities have nothing to do with how much weight your Bronco can actually pull. Your Bronco could easily pull a 10K pound trailer across a parking lot. And so would that hitch. No problems (well…very little problems anyway)

It’s all about “how much can you SAFELY tow”. Can the Bronco safely stop a load that heavy in an emergency? Can a much lighter Bronco handle the swaying back and forth of a much heavier trailer behind it around corners and over bumps? Things like that.

So you can move just about anything around the property at the lake house without really concerning yourself with the weight so much. But if you plan to take it on the highway….that’s where you really want to add up those pounds. Just not worth the risk of killing your Bronco, or somebody else, or yourself. Or being financially liable for damages because your load was overweight.

OP
OP
MagicCecil5530

MagicCecil5530

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You sound good to go with those numbers.

Keep in mind that towing capacities have nothing to do with how much weight your Bronco can actually pull. Your Bronco could easily pull a 10K pound trailer across a parking lot. And so would that hitch. No problems (well…very little problems anyway)

It’s all about “how much can you SAFELY tow”. Can the Bronco safely stop a load that heavy in an emergency? Can a much lighter Bronco handle the swaying back and forth of a much heavier trailer behind it around corners and over bumps? Things like that.

So you can move just about anything around the property at the lake house without really concerning yourself with the weight so much. But if you plan to take it on the highway….that’s where you really want to add up those pounds. Just not worth the risk of killing your Bronco, or somebody else, or yourself. Or being financially liable for damages because your load was overweight.
Yep, that’s why I was asking. Knew it wasn’t necessarily a matter of power as much as whether I’d have any issues with it.

I’m very comfortable towing a trailer/boat/etc in a vehicle. Just want to make sure I’m going to be able to do it safely

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not sure if the trailer has surge breaks, I doubt it.

Planning to pick the boat up today and take it to the lake one night this week, then pull it down to the beach (2 hour or so drive) and take it from Murrells Inlet down to Georgetown on Saturday
You'll have a bolt on coupler with a fill cap on top like this if you do.

Ford Bronco Towing Question - Boat IMG_3599 2.JPG

Re: Murrells Inlet down to Georgetown: Nice! I flush my boat motor with salt-away (and trailer if it is steel - if aluminum, wash it with the boat). Took it out in the Chesapeake, and a few times from Morehead City to Cape Lookout.

OP
OP
MagicCecil5530

MagicCecil5530

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You'll have a bolt on coupler with a fill cap on top like this if you do.

Re: Murrells Inlet down to Georgetown: Nice! I flush my boat motor with salt-away (and trailer if it is steel - if aluminum, wash it with the boat). Took it out in the Chesapeake, and a few times from Morehead City to Cape Lookout.
Yeah, I just haven’t seen the trailer other than the time I looked at buying the boat and was more concentrated on the boat than the trailer!

Sponsored
OP
OP
MagicCecil5530

MagicCecil5530

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I fixed it for ya. LOL.

Sorry to go off topic, but that garage looks pretty cool, especially with the color matched Bronco.
Haha it’s actually a buddies shop, he did the PPF Matte wrap for me

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Check the trailer height vs your hitch height. I had to get a 6” drop hitch to keep the trailer level.

OP
OP
MagicCecil5530

MagicCecil5530

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Check the trailer height vs your hitch height. I had to get a 6” drop hitch to keep the trailer level.
Definitely will need a 6” drop, I know that. With anything shorter the ball is so close to the 35” spare tire that you can’t even load anything onto it

MichiganCPL

Big Bend
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2021 with the 2.3L 4cyl in it. It did not come factory with a towing package, but I added a hitch in the fall (mainly for towing my small flatbed trailer and using a hitch/haul for cargo) but I just bought a boat and am wondering if I'll have any issues towing it.

With a 3500# capacity, I'm under the weight parameters but I'm just curious if there's anything else that I need to factor in.

Dry weight of the boat (Sportsman 207 Masters) is 2,000# and the dealership said that with a full tank of gas and the trailer included I'd still be just shy of 3,000#

I used the Rough Country Class III Receiver Hitch, which said it can handle 3500# and 350# of tongue weight.

I have moved my dad's 18' Boston Whaler a couple times at the lake house, but mainly just hooking it up and pulling it from the driveway to the boat ramp and backing it down. No interstate trips or long hauls.

Anything I'm missing? Or am I overthinking it and good to go. Also if there's anything I need to add please let me know.

Pic of my ride for attention

No problems towing with my 2.3
Ford Bronco Towing Question - Boat Boat (2)

rlsoriano

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely will need a 6” drop, I know that. With anything shorter the ball is so close to the 35” spare tire that you can’t even load anything onto it
Is this still with the stock height? I towed my little teardrop trailer last weekend, and the trailer was looking up on a 2-inch drop. I wonder what's the formula to get the right drop.
Sponsored