Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I was at the hobby store yesterday and tripped over this and had to buy it. Traxxas Bronco 4 door. Comes in Black, Red, White and Blue but you can buy optional bodies in Bronco colors. I bought a Black one then bought a Cactus Gray body. Total was around $200 but it is prebuilt and has everything except 4 AA batteries for the transmitter. It's pretty damn sophisticated for the money and it's a beaut in person as opposed to my Photoshop version. Matches my truck near perfectly including the roof rack. Everything but the tires. Pretty damn cool.
Ford Bronco Traxxas Bronco TRX 4M intro-splash-trx-4m

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/trx-4m-ford-bronco
Sponsored

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty cool. They have a bigger version of this too with even a working winch you can put on.

OP
OP

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep, but the big one is $500 which is more than I wanted to spend on a toy. They also do not yet sell a Cactus Gray body for the big guy.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Best way to learn the mechanics of rock crawling are with these in the 1/10 scale. They have every part on market. Can swap and see how it changes. Can be balanced and weighted to scale just like a real truck.

Letā€™s you check out droop, spring and fluid weight, portals, lockers, digs, wheel spacers, tire pressure, tire tread, weight distribution. Cog, low speed and high speed crawling and such. Helps with approach angles, side wheeling, departure angles and recovery angles.

Did rc rock comps for a couple years. Awesome hobby. Great people.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Best way to learn the mechanics of rock crawling are with these in the 1/10 scale. They have every part on market. Can swap and see how it changes. Can be balanced and weighted to scale just like a real truck.

Letā€™s you check out droop, spring and fluid weight, portals, lockers, digs, wheel spacers, tire pressure, tire tread, weight distribution. Cog, low speed and high speed crawling and such. Helps with approach angles, side wheeling, departure angles and recovery angles.

I agree that these are fun and you can learn lots. I havenā€™t seen a 1/10 scale IFS chassis yet, granted I havenā€™t spent much time on RCCrawler.com in the last few years.

As a warning to others: Itā€™s also really easy to spend a bunch of money on this hobby. I spent at least $1200 building up my Axial Bomber years ago. $120 steering servo, $160 aluminum beadlock wheels, $80 tires, $40 tire foams, Beef Tubes, gearing upgrades, steel CV axle upgrades, 2 speed transmission, batteries/charger, etc. You take it out and play with it and eventually something breaks or you find the next must have upgrade. Mine could use a $300 brushless motor and ESC, but I said not until the HobbyWing 1080 and Traxxas 21T combo died, but it never has. The TRX-4 platform is pretty good out of the box, plan on $150 worth of battery/charger and $100-150 worth of steering servo and some brass add ons to help it perform. Beyond that the sky is the limit on scale winches, light kits, etc. That Bronco in the video probably has $300 worth of scale trinkets.

My biggest problem with this hobby is that I donā€™t have kids and I just feel like too much of a dork out there as a 46 year old dude playing with RCā€™s by myself. Iā€™m not interested enough to drive 1.5 hours round trip to go meet up with the local crawler group. I have three scale crawlers (built Axial bomber, 79 Bronco, 21 Bronco) and a couple of 4S MAXX. Both of the Broncos are brand new having never seen a battery. I ran one of the MAXX cars once when I first bought it last fall. I bought the MAXX cars when my friend got one for his son, figuring weā€™d go do it together. In over a year I havenā€™t made it out with them once, he works seasonally May to October and usually goes during the work day in his off season. Iā€™ve spent over $3K in the past 2 years on stuff that just takes up space in my garage.

Maybe Iā€™m just getting old. I just bought a PS5 for myself for Christmas, honestly Iā€™m just not feeling it. In the PS3 days I used to enjoy getting online to play GTA 5 or Modern Warfare for countless hours. I jumped in pretty heavy this past week, three sessions at 4+ hours with a friend in AZ who still plays. I like the social aspect of playing with him, but otherwise the whole experience seems like a huge time suck now. My wife commented that when Iā€™m playing I completely ignore her, which is true. I may return it all during the extended holiday return period before it ends up collecting dust.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rc hobby can be expensive if you get serious with it. Far as age, we donā€™t care much for kids. I go to 4 different shops (I race all classes) and itā€™s usually all adults 15-30 usually. Serious play time. One kid puts a car out and canā€™t control it, we pull our cars. They do have the general play time and kid classes too. Nobody thatā€™s serous want to run a 1k plus buggy with people bashing. One wrong hit and you blow the points for the season. Plus parts are hard to get for the last 2 years. My comp buggies are yokomoā€™s. All parts have to be ordered.

The crawling/trail running is way more relaxed. Like bronco people.

If your good at the racing part you can make 5 digits a year doing it. Plus the sponsorships.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

picked up a red TRX4m yesterday. after playing with our lightly moded Axial scx24 my daughter wanted one (9yrs old). so now we have 2 that we can use together.

The Daughter has been bringing back rocks from or trips to CO for years and dug out her box and set up piles of rocks to crawl thru. she has a blast when we go out in SxS on Webster pass.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rc hobby can be expensive if you get serious with it. Far as age, we donā€™t care much for kids. I go to 4 different shops (I race all classes) and itā€™s usually all adults 15-30 usually. Serious play time. One kid puts a car out and canā€™t control it, we pull our cars. They do have the general play time and kid classes too. Nobody thatā€™s serous want to run a 1k plus buggy with people bashing. One wrong hit and you blow the points for the season. Plus parts are hard to get for the last 2 years. My comp buggies are yokomoā€™s. All parts have to be ordered.

The crawling/trail running is way more relaxed. Like bronco people.

If your good at the racing part you can make 5 digits a year doing it. Plus the sponsorships.
The sentence in bold pretty much sums up my feelings.

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I was at the hobby store yesterday and tripped over this and had to buy it. Traxxas Bronco 4 door. Comes in Black, Red, White and Blue but you can buy optional bodies in Bronco colors. I bought a Black one then bought a Cactus Gray body. Total was around $200 but it is prebuilt and has everything except 4 AA batteries for the transmitter. It's pretty damn sophisticated for the money and it's a beaut in person as opposed to my Photoshop version. Matches my truck near perfectly including the roof rack. Everything but the tires. Pretty damn cool.
Ford Bronco Traxxas Bronco TRX 4M IMG_6236.MOV

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/trx-4m-ford-bronco
Had Traxxas for a while and they're great fun. Pretty cool it matchesyour Bronco.

Wildfire1

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 GMC 4X4 / 2012 Mustang convert
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have both. The 1/18th scale and thus 1/10 scale. They can be addictive to mod out like the big one. Iā€™ve gone to bigger wheels, lift kit with new greeeing, front and rear lockers, full lighting, remote winch, module to make actual engine sounds. Then 1/10 is 23ā€ long. Some fun though lol

59401C01-4521-4AAC-8A97-8D1D2E045551.jpg

47AC4BF6-FBE4-4DAF-933B-8B7684E9228F.jpg

F7DEAED5-5140-447E-B1D9-26F1B1E815E4.jpg

7E34CDB4-91B7-412A-AB2A-493A455D11F3.jpg

6F6A5419-BB68-4ABC-BFA9-C6970CF332B8.jpg

52110357-0B50-4844-B20B-1C054A018156.jpg

055C0299-C8CD-49EA-BDB9-DC67CE71AA03.jpg

8054FE8B-AB20-4EC3-AD4B-049F9848EFA0.jpg

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can confirm. Basically everything I know about setting up the suspension on real race cars came from racing RC cars and buggies as a kid at the local hobby store track with my little brother.