Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CR's reputation is well known and understood by now. Those who pay them get favorable reviews and often win awards and it turns out Consumer Reports are no choosier than a heroin addict occupying a bathroom stall at the Troubadour.

Perhaps Stellantis has told CR they won't be pushing out the blood money the same way that FCA was? Could be with all the hundreds of millions of dollars in emissions penalties around the world they don't have the budget to pay off hack journalists?
Haha? What? Consumer Reports goes out of its way to remain independent and avoid any appearance of bias.

CR even buys all their review cars in secret. They don't accept media cars to review.
Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Something must be wrong with my '19 JL. At 17K miles it's only been in for oil changes. It's going in Tuesday for another oil change, and I'll have the Tech check it out. I certainly do not want to minimize anyone's perception of the Wrangler. SMH

BTW, if some can't understand that SFA vehicle with a pitman arm set up will drive different from an IFS vehicle that's their problem. I've driven the old I-beam front end Ford trucks, and the Jeep drives like a Lincoln compared. I'm not a Jeep fanboy by any means, but damn........

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Haha? What? Consumer Reports goes out of its way to remain independent and avoid any appearance of bias.

CR even buys all their review cars in secret. They don't accept media cars to review.
Not everybody can just print money like the US gov. They have to buy those cars somehow and their funding comes primarily from OEM's.

OrlandoBroncos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not everybody can just print money like the US gov. They have to buy those cars somehow and their funding comes primarily from OEM's.
Cite your sources.

Consumer Reports is a non-profit that gets all its funding from Subscriptions and a few grants from other non profits.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/about-us/policies-and-financials/index.htm
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/consumer-reports/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/09/20/consumer-reports-undergoes-makeover/90699392/

I'm sorry if you feel wronged that they said a vehicle you like with well known issues has issues.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had a Wrangler for a rental car a few months ago. Drove it from the airport to the office, got out and the one of the muffler mounts had snapped and the muffler was just hanging there. Shouldn't happen on every vehicle, but one designed for extreme off road applications is just pathetic. Car only had about 2500 miles on it.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last year for the dependable wranglers was 2006. I will say though, my wife's '18 GC w/ 3.6 has had no issues (knock on wood). Her '15 GC w/ ecodiesel had 1 minor issue at 52k blowing a turbo coolant fitting and then the dealership messed that repair up and ended up having to trade the thing in.

My loaded '17 F150 w/ 3.5 EB, which I love, has been in the shop 3-4 times in the last year for a list of 18-20 different items (all within the warranty period).

gofastguy

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
It's a Jeep thing, you guys wouldn't understand...but seriously the Jeeps really do have an appeal. I have 2 Jeeps and my Mustang currently. Love them all but feel like I need an extended warranty if I keep the Jeeps very long. And then I always come back to why buy the extended warranty when they aren't real good about repairs during the original warranty

Warthog

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Without checking myself, is CR ever favorable to any manufacturer that's not Japanese? At least that's how I remember it over the past 10-15 years.

I don't think Jeep deserves an excellent quality score, but CR's reputation is far from golden in my book.

Edit: Ditto Dads_bronze_bronco.

They're a Japanese Owned Publication so any NON-Japanese vehicles will not bode well.

CHMAZ

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport, 2012 Toyota FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am replacing a tumbled and totaled FJ Cruiser (RIP) with a Bronco. I used to work in the auto industry and know better than to buy any FCA product. I wanted a Jeep but just couldn't pull the trigger because of the quality issues they have. When I saw the Bronco... I was sold. Even if it's a first year product it will be better built than anything from FCA.

I once asked a actuary who did the math on warranties and repairs on the best cars to buy he said:
"Honda and Toyota, top notch. Hyundai / Kia has caught up. If you want to buy American, get a Ford."

Sponsored

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I rented a Jk a couple years and it was very tiring to drive

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Cite your sources.

Consumer Reports is a non-profit that gets all its funding from Subscriptions and a few grants from other non profits.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/about-us/policies-and-financials/index.htm
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/consumer-reports/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/09/20/consumer-reports-undergoes-makeover/90699392/

I'm sorry if you feel wronged that they said a vehicle you like with well known issues has issues.
Small correction, Consumer Reports is a not-for-profit. They are not the same, NFP and NP. Professional sports teams are Non-Profits, for example. One could reasonably argue that professional sports teams exist to generate revenue. Not-for-profits dont. They do, however, rely heavily upon what revenue sources they do have. Contributions, grants and undisclosed donations included.

Here is their F990: https://article.images.consumerrepo...te/Consumer Reports Financial Statements 2020

I've worked as a federal compliance auditor for most of the past 16 years, specifically with non-profit organizations. This includes about 200 field audits and the preparation of a few hundred financial statements/F990's. They (CR) are generally coy about sources of contributions and this is no different, in fact, i'd say their revenue recognition is superbly stated by KPMG in that you would have a difficult time using their financials to determine where much of their income comes from aside from print (not doing so well) and legacy clicks. At least 20% of their income is nebulously identified.

FWIW, I don't feel wronged by anything they said about the Jeep, nor do I have any horse in this race vehicle wise. Stellantis as a whole probably deserve less than glowing reviews for reliability, but that's anecdotally obtained through friends/family having their products.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Small correction, Consumer Reports is a not-for-profit. They are not the same, NFP and NP. Professional sports teams are Non-Profits, for example. One could reasonably argue that professional sports teams exist to generate revenue. Not-for-profits dont. They do, however, rely heavily upon what revenue sources they do have. Contributions, grants and undisclosed donations included.

Here is their F990: https://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/cro/corporate/Consumer Reports Financial Statements 2020

I've worked as a federal compliance auditor for most of the past 16 years, specifically with non-profit organizations. This includes about 200 field audits and the preparation of a few hundred financial statements/F990's. They (CR) are generally coy about sources of contributions and this is no different, in fact, i'd say their revenue recognition is superbly stated by KPMG in that you would have a difficult time using their financials to determine where much of their income comes from aside from print (not doing so well) and legacy clicks. At least 20% of their income is nebulously identified.

FWIW, I don't feel wronged by anything they said about the Jeep, nor do I have any horse in this race vehicle wise. Stellantis as a whole probably deserve less than glowing reviews for reliability, but that's anecdotally obtained through friends/family having their products.
So that whole singing thing is just a side gig then? You'll make it some day.

/s

OrlandoBroncos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is their F990: https://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/cro/corporate/Consumer Reports Financial Statements 2020

Consumer Reports taking bribes from car companies and hiding it for 80 years would be the story of the century and probably win you a pulitzer too. You should take this to the WSJ or something. :rolleyes:

Print is doing poorly because ad revenues are falling. CR has never had ads. They have millions of subscribers who... Get this... Are willing to pay for the high quality product they offer. Six million subscribers paying $30-55 a year more than covers their $25 million budget for testing products. https://digiday.com/media/consumer-reports-launches-new-membership-tiers/

Also CR is a 501(C)3 per the statement you linked. And the auditors letter said nothing about missing information. It says everything in the statements meets GAAP and is fairly reported.

Last edited: