steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could use some advice on this. Not sure why I find it so confusing. I would also like to wire up some rock lights (probably 8 of them) on my two door and my needs are pretty simple.

I just want white lights. And I want them to work solely off one of my aux switches.

I bought a mictuning c3 12 pack for my ram trx. On paper they seem awesome. But here is what's annoying. My installer (and maybe this is his issue) could not figure out a way to simply wire them to an aux switch and have them work when I turn on the switch. I have to turn on the aux switch. THEN (because they are RGB or wireless or both??) I have to either (1) use the dumb controller that has to be lugged into a dc lighter or (2) use my app which then turns off my wireless carplay. So they look great when I turn them on but turning on and off is a pain.

The really cool thing about the c3 kit is that the lights can be wired like daisy chain or off one single wire so that you are running one wire down each side of the vehicle instead of 4-6 wires down each side. If that makes sense.

Looks like there are a bunch of budget kits that I could use if I was willing to run 8 separate wires. Would be nice to avoid that because the install is way more of a PITA than the price of the lights in my opinion.

Is there a simple solution that would run off a single aux switch and that uses a single wire type design like I am describing?

OP
OP
mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, son's 08 Civic, wife's biz 22 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I could use some advice on this. Not sure why I find it so confusing. I would also like to wire up some rock lights (probably 8 of them) on my two door and my needs are pretty simple.

I just want white lights. And I want them to work solely off one of my aux switches.

I bought a mictuning c3 12 pack for my ram trx. On paper they seem awesome. But here is what's annoying. My installer (and maybe this is his issue) could not figure out a way to simply wire them to an aux switch and have them work when I turn on the switch. I have to turn on the aux switch. THEN (because they are RGB or wireless or both??) I have to either (1) use the dumb controller that has to be lugged into a dc lighter or (2) use my app which then turns off my wireless carplay. So they look great when I turn them on but turning on and off is a pain.

The really cool thing about the c3 kit is that the lights can be wired like daisy chain or off one single wire so that you are running one wire down each side of the vehicle instead of 4-6 wires down each side. If that makes sense.

Looks like there are a bunch of budget kits that I could use if I was willing to run 8 separate wires. Would be nice to avoid that because the install is way more of a PITA than the price of the lights in my opinion.

Is there a simple solution that would run off a single aux switch and that uses a single wire type design like I am describing?
same ones we got, but rbg. we wanted as little cables as possible underneath. my installer hooked it up to an aux switch and we keep the switch on. we do have to turn the lights on from the remote as they go off when the bronco is turned off or from aux to start, if we have them on when in aux. he mounted the remote just beside the hood release.
as far as your recommendation for simple solutions, sorry i cant answer that. i dont have that knowledge. :) sorry for the blurry picture, but you get the idea.

switch.jpg

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
same ones we got, but rbg. we wanted as little cables as possible underneath. my installer hooked it up to an aux switch and we keep the switch on. we do have to turn the lights on from the remote as they go off when the bronco is turned off or from aux to start, if we have them on when in aux. he mounted the remote just beside the hood release.
as far as your recommendation for simple solutions, sorry i cant answer that. i dont have that knowledge. :) sorry for the blurry picture, but you get the idea.
Exact same issue I have. Aux switch is basically just a kill switch because even though you leave it on, the remote resets and you have to mess with the remote to turn on each time. I know there is a way to avoid this at least with a single color light but trying to keep the wiring as simple as possible.

I emailed mictuning overnight and here is their reply:

"It only have one color through the switch control
And it could be wired along one single wire"

If anyone has detail about how to wire it along a single wire I'd appreciate it. I suspect this is a super simple question for someone who knows electronics but I just don't. I'll reply to mictuning as well, but think we have a minor communication gap.

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found a local guy in Houston who sells Lux lighting and really seemed to know what he's talking about. A little more expensive but going with one of their 8 light kits and letting him install. Will report back once done. He thinks he can fix some of my TRX wiring as well so will see

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the lower end MicTuning Q1 that turn on and off with the aux switch. These use a cordless remote without bluetooth(gen 1) and no issue holding whatever your last setting was. You might be happy just stepping down to their cheaper light.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, the problem is that you bought an RGB kit mostly intended for decoration when what you needed was a set of rugged lights for simple illumination. The RGB kits have circuitry that controls every LED on demand, and without that controller telling it which ones to light up, you're likely going to end up getting a rainbow of colors if you bypass the controller and hard wire it, or you might get stuck on a single color, or you might have to flip the aux switch on and off a dozen times until you get white, or they might just not turn on at all. I would suggest buying some simple purpose made rock lights and wiring them all up in parallel. That's how most people wire them, and it won't end up being a mess of wires if you do it correctly.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Purchased this item that my mod guy says doesn't fit the Bronco after trying to install it. Are there any recommendations for other kits that will fit the Bronco? We don't want wheel well or strips. Did a search but everything comes up wheel well.
Amazon.com: OPT7 Aura Aluminum Underglow LED Lighting Kit for Truck w/Wireless Remote, Exterior Neon Accent Underbody Strip, Multi-Color n Mode, Waterproof, Soundsync, Aluminum Casing, Door Assist, Smart LED, 8pc : Automotive
There's nothing vehicle specific. They are all universal kits. You have a few options

1) Diode Dynamics Underglow Kit: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/diode-dynamics-rgbw-multicolor-underglow-led-kit/

2) Diode Dynamics Rock Lights: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-auxiliary-lights/diode-dynamics/rock-lights/

Sponsored

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If anyone is looking for rock lights, we recently launched our Stage Series Rock Lights at SEMA 2022 and are now in hands of users here in 2023!

I saw these as well and they look really well done.

I made an appointment for next week to have 8 of the Lux lighting RGBW magnetic lights installed next Friday. Made in US, my new installer (who seemed much more knowledgeable than my last guy) said he can set them to run only to my aux switch and remember the last color which is what I need. To a point made above, I would have probably done white but it’s a 2-3 week lead time and he stocks the rgbw and the price difference is negligible.

For anyone who cares and may be in houston like me, total price installed is $640. $250 of which is install.

I’ll post up results when I have them. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Buckin Ohio

Outer Banks
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer platinum / Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, the problem is that you bought an RGB kit mostly intended for decoration when what you needed was a set of rugged lights for simple illumination. The RGB kits have circuitry that controls every LED on demand, and without that controller telling it which ones to light up, you're likely going to end up getting a rainbow of colors if you bypass the controller and hard wire it, or you might get stuck on a single color, or you might have to flip the aux switch on and off a dozen times until you get white, or they might just not turn on at all. I would suggest buying some simple purpose made rock lights and wiring them all up in parallel. That's how most people wire them, and it won't end up being a mess of wires if you do it correctly.
[/QUO

I believe the issue is that you need a constant source of power to the controller. This will keep its memory as to what color they lights were last on. Then you can connect the power to the upfitter switch to kill the power to the lights but not the controller. Hope this helps.

Buckin Ohio

Outer Banks
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer platinum / Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I believe the issue is that you need a constant source of power to the controller. This will keep its memory as to what color they lights were last on. Then you can connect the power to the upfitter switch to kill the power to the lights but not the controller. Hope this helps.

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Underbody light kit recommendation? 04E64278-0B54-495A-8485-1B4D6BF6FB90
I’m really happy with how my lux lighting 8 light kit turned out. Good coverage and really bright. And as promised my shop wired it to aux 5 and when I start the car and flip the aux switch, the light remembers the last setting. Just what I wanted. Only snapped one night picture before we left out of town.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model