First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, unless i missed it in this thread, if a strike happens, what is the fate of vehicles already on trains? If they've stopped accepting vehicles (and certain other freight) for liability reasons, is it reasonable to think that vehicles already on trains will get to their final destinations even if there is a strike in order to limit the liability of having vehicles in train cars sitting in rail yards exposed to theft or vandalism?
There will be railcars with vehicles on them sitting idly in railyards if a strike/lockout happens. Hopefully the rail companies will keep those cars and the premises secure. Not all enroute railcars will reach their destination.
Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Unfortunately, all this means is that everything that would normally go by train will now go by truck, air, or ship, clogging those transport systems up more than they are now. No one wins here (at least in the short term).
They don't have enough Trucks or truck driver now.... as you say... also... how much oil and gas is shipped by train... get ready for shortages...

braasch77

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There will be railcars with vehicles on them sitting idly in railyards if a strike/lockout happens. Hopefully the rail companies will keep those cars and the premises secure. Not all enroute railcars will reach their destination.
I don't like your answer, but I appreciate you for giving it. Hell, I've already waited over 2 years, guess a little longer won't hurt...i hope.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Perfect timing. My June build week kept getting bumped until I got caught in the MAP July shutdown. Finally got a build date for August. Slow production, finally built awaiting shipment. Chatted with Ford this morning and was told it was assigned a rail car today - you guessed it, Norfolk Southern. Now its sitting at a ramp in Detroit. Madness!! You can't make this stuff up.
Yeah, same story line of delays, but mine is enroute departed Monday, and I fully expect it to sit on some siding starting Thursday night.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You don’t want to know everything that will be affected if rail doesn’t move normally……….
Yea ... like oil and fuel.... Trucks can't run without fuel... and neither can anything else... just go and check how much fuel is shipped by rail....

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I sure hope cooler heads prevail and all parties hammer out an agreement/compromise at the negotiation table. Although this forum is automotive-focused, other members here have pointed out there are fair bigger impacts to the nation if there is a rail strike. As reported at CNN Business:

• Gasoline: Without freight railroads, oil refineries would have trouble producing their current volumes of gasoline, which could send gas prices higher, ending a string of three months of falling prices at the pump.
  • Food: It could disrupt the nation’s food supplies, preventing recently harvested crops to move to food processors and disrupting the supply of fertilizer needed for upcoming plantings.
  • Consumer goods: According to the National Retail Federation, Any rail strike could have long-lasting negative effects on the import of goods for the holiday shopping season, causing shortages and higher prices.
  • Cars and trucks: Car prices have already hit record prices this year due to the limited supply of new vehicles caused by a shortage of computer chips and other parts. A rail strike would further choke supplies, cutting off the delivery of auto parts to auto assembly plants, which could force temporary shutdowns at some plants. It would also disrupt the flow of completed new cars and trucks, 75% of which move by rail.
[Source: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/13/business/railroad-strike-outlook-economic-impact/index.html#:~:text=A rail strike would further,of which move by rail.]
CNN’s still in business? Just kidding 🤣

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They don't have enough Trucks or truck driver now.... as you say... also... how much oil and gas is shipped by train... get ready for shortages...
Another reason we need more pipelines. Not being political, just stating my opinion.

Sidestepper11

Badlands
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GMC SIERRA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I read that strike's are on hold until 9/29. Is that accurate, or is that just one of the unions?
It's just the one that approved the strike. They said they will work until 9/29 but it's mainly the conductors snd their work requirements that are holding things up. Can't operate without them.

Codimc

Big Bend
First Name
Codi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m a little confused whether this affects my Bronco that’s being shipped. It came by convoy, not rail. It’s been pending pick up 40 minutes from my dealership for a few days now. I believe that means it will be coming by trailer/truck the rest of the way to the dealership. Is that correct?

Sponsored

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CNN’s still in business? Just kidding 🤣
They seem to be the only ones trying to report regular news these days... also kidding. ;)

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I mean logically, you would think that Ford would prioritize units that don't need rail transportation Wait a minute, did I use the word "logically", yeah, never mind. Go about your business :)
I was wondering before if cars going by rail were prioritized to try to get them out before the strike. Now they may prioritize the convoy cars. We'll see, a lot of cars produced right before and after mine have been shipped by rail while mine going convoy has been on hold.

OP
OP
P52Ranch

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m a little confused whether this affects my Bronco that’s being shipped. It came by convoy, not rail. It’s been pending pick up 40 minutes from my dealership for a few days now. I believe that means it will be coming by trailer/truck the rest of the way to the dealership. Is that correct?
To understand, you are in Mississippi? So your Bronco already shipped from Dearborn via rail to an automotive rail facility in MS which happens to be 40 minutes from your dealer? Your Bronco should not be affected by this impending action.

Codimc

Big Bend
First Name
Codi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
To understand, you are in Mississippi? So your Bronco already shipped from Dearborn via rail to an automotive rail facility in MS which happens to be 40 minutes from your dealer? Your Bronco should not be affected by this impending action.
That is correct. It is pending pick up in Jackson, MS which is about 40 minutes from my dealership. I didn’t think it would affect mine since it’s already been transported, but I wasn’t sure. Thanks for your reply!

OffroadBandit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea you are right. I was looking at this via my small lens, already shipped. I'm glad I'm at where I'm at, built, shipped, close. But I'm 2 years and one month into this and its at a railyard 5 hours by train to my final destination, so it's a bit of a bummer. That being said once they do resolve this it shouldn't be too much longer for me.

Here's to hoping they get these labor negotiations sorted out quickly for all of us. Good luck my guy, hope all your dates stay on schedule from this point on.
Mine might be on the same train as yours, lol
Sponsored