Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Installed the smoked lens version to replace my factory halogens:

View attachment 547659

Did not read " These taillights will replace OEM LED taillights only. " from the website 🤦‍♂️

Here's a video of what they looked like after my initial install (plug and play, +reusing the OEM tail light bracket):

You'll notice that there's a large area of the tail light that does not light up, which I discovered was an amber LED panel meant for the turn signals.

According to this doc:

View attachment 547643

Pin 3 on the halogen tail light harness sends the "Stop" aka brake and Turn signals. This makes sense as there are only two bulbs in the halogen tail light, one for brake/turn and one for reverse.

View attachment 547661

Since the harness on the GoRecon tail light is expecting the turn signal on pin 5, and the halogen harness from the Bronco does not have a circuit/pin in that location, the amber turn signal was never activated.

View attachment 547664

I decided to splice the red and yellow wires on the GoRecon tail light harness together (pins 3 & 5), so that when the brake or turn signal is applied, both sets of lights would activate. (sorry didn't take pics in the moment) :rolleyes:

Here is the result:

Finally, rather than adding in resistors to stop the turn signal "hyper flash," (BdyCM is expecting halogen bulb resistance but is seeing lower LED resistance, therefore it thinks the bulb is dead/dying) I tapped into Forscan and made the below changes (plain english not the ASBUILT, BdyCM)

View attachment 547667

Hopefully this helps others regardless of what tail lights you go with. Shout out to @BudgetBronco for aiding some of my research in his video:

Sponsored

Last edited:

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland