DanDan

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is the honey comb made of paper or resin ?
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those saying that this is ā€œunacceptable,ā€ what are you going to do if yours comes in like this? Deny the vehicle that youā€™ve been waiting years for?
Well said. The writing is on the wall. These tops are poor but there is very little Ford can do about it other than build only soft top 4drs. Perhaps Ford can resolve the cosmetic issues over time, but that won't change the fact that they are a fragile design. These MIC tops are nothing near the durability of the wrangler tops.

I have already come to grips with the fact that this is a disposable starter top and may eventually need to be replaced with a redesigned top, mod top, or aftermarket top. So build my 2dr already!

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I doubt Ford is going to replace that top. Maybe what youā€™re noticing in person just isnā€™t showing up well on video? Obviously the edges arenā€™t rolled, but none of the MIC tops have had rolled edges to date.
What makes you think that? If everything it's well documented during the dealer inspection, Ford will replace any imperfection.

I really don't understand where is the doubt about this. MIC top issues is well documented and I'm more than sure that Ford is going to take warranty action once the MIC quality is good to go.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assure you, this top would not be acceptable to me or my dealer. I would still finish the deal but only having it in writing that the top must be replaced with proper quality. 50+k for a vehicle and thinking this is acceptable? How about a scratched window, torn seat, runs in the paint? Is that acceptable? Hell no. And if Ford denied replacing, yep, i would walk away and get something else. Too much money to throw at junk workmanship for me.
Iā€™m just trying to picture exactly how this would play out.

1. You get a call from your dealer that your Bronco is in. Excitement ensues!

2. You arrive at the dealer and notice the MIC isnā€™t perfect. Some honeycomb and rough edges.

3. You tell your dealer that you want ford to replace it but you want to move forward with the deal.

At this point, what happens? Do you:

A. Leave the Bronco on the lot until your dealer sends pictures to Ford and gets confirmation that they will replace the top and then return to sign? Iā€™m skeptical that all dealers would partake in this.

B. Sign the papers, drive off, and then trust the dealer and Ford to come through for you?

C. Something else?

Iā€™m actually asking for advice because Iā€™m sure my mic will be messed up.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not too terribly concerned with these imperfections. Its a cheap top that's meant to take a beating. I would love for them to be perfect, but if it aint leaking water or wind then I'm good! If it was the painted top that'd be a whole other level of BS.
It has to be perfect, never disposable. MIC top has to be and it will be perfect and durable. As a customer never expect less than that.

MIC top is a big issue for Ford now and knowing the company, They are not going to damage their image because a third party supplier. I'm confident that Ford already has a plan to replace those tops down the road once quality production at Webasto reach the proper level.

Meanwhile, they are shipping this tops that doesn't represent any safety issue to customer as they won't stop the production because of this matter.

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m just trying to picture exactly how this would play out.

1. You get a call from your dealer that your Bronco is in. Excitement ensues!

2. You arrive at the dealer and notice the MIC isnā€™t perfect. Some honeycomb and rough edges.

3. You tell your dealer that you want ford to replace it but you want to move forward with the deal.

At this point, what happens? Do you:

A. Leave the Bronco on the lot until your dealer sends pictures to Ford and gets confirmation that they will replace the top and then return to sign? Iā€™m skeptical that all dealers would partake in this.

B. Sign the papers, drive off, and then trust the dealer and Ford to come through for you?

C. Something else?

Iā€™m actually asking for advice because Iā€™m sure my mic will be messed up.
D. Dealer will take note on the imperfection during the inspection and Ford will replace as a warranty once they're able to do it (Webasto reach proper levels on their quality)

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I hate to feel this way, but I do not trust any company who limits communication and transparency with the customer base. I will walk if my tops is not up to par. As a consumer, that is your only option; buy another product. If you support a product that anything less than you expect, well expect to get what they deliver. You take delivery, you lose leverage against a giant like FMC. I doubt a class action suit would be reasonable based on an owners appearance expectations after the fact. Now if safety is involved or the tops completely fail, different situation I hope no one has to endure. But to each their own, I try an limit headaches in life. I can wait on a better product for now, as my happiness is not based being first in line with the new Bronco.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have had our Bronco for 2 days now. It is magical! However, the biggest and about the only disappointment is the roof. The wind noise at 70 mph is much greater than I had anticipated. And most of the edges of the roof are rough and not the same color as the rest of the roof. It certainly does not match the high quality of the rest of the vehicle.

DanDan

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Your Bronco Model
Base
We have had our Bronco for 2 days now. It is magical! However, the biggest and about the only disappointment is the roof. The wind noise at 70 mph is much greater than I had anticipated. And most of the edges of the roof are rough and not the same color as the rest of the roof. It certainly does not match the high quality of the rest of the vehicle.
It's a boxy vehiclle and wind noise is normal imo

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very unlikely Ford will do a warranty replacement of the hardtop in this video -
Ford response: "That's just cosmetic imperfection - you bought it - it's yours."
I suppose anything is possible. I assume Ford is in panic mode since they thought they had the problem under control. It will be interesting to hear what they finally communicate. But it very likely will involve building a lot of flaccid top broncos.

possibilities:
  • announce that imperfections are normal and to be expected on this rustic "utility" top
    • recommend switching to soft top or waiting for MOD top if rustic top is not desired
  • discontinue hardtop production until redesign or mod top available (2023)
  • offer to buyback or install free soft top on delivered vehicles
  • promise dealer refurbishment program for defective/damaged tops

Sponsored

65FB

Black Diamond
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well my dealer called and told me they had recieved a couple Bronco's today! Of course I headed out there right after work... They were both mic top 4drs and I wanted to have a closer look at those! Now, I'm a ford fan... Have owned mostly Ford's my hole life with a couple Chevy's and a Nissan.. maybe a kia mixed in... That shit will never happen again.... Just so I'm being clear.

So yeah the Mic tops... They need some sorting. I'm actually not as sad about being bumped to Aug 16 now... Which was updated to "day of" today. So that's good I guess.... Anyhow, watch the vid. I go over what I found with the ones I looked at today. I do have faith that ford will do right by the people that already have them, somehow... I told my dealer that issues like the ones I pointed out to him aren't going to fly if my comes like this and they'd need to note/document it and contact ford about it immediately... We both agreed to cross that bridge when we get there... Haha. Also, if you like Carb Grey or Area51 this is a pretty decent look into those! So yeah... Here's the vid!

I checked out a Badlands today that just arrived @ local dealer (Estabrook Ford). I was honestly impressed with the fit and finish of MIC top. After driving and giving it a good going over, I am more confident in my choice going with a MIC top, now I just have to make this reservation come to life. I was also impressed at the sound level and handling of the vehicle as they were both much better than I was expecting. This was an auto 2.7 and it was extremely responsive. I am going with a 2.3 manual. My main gripe with Ford is the lack of a MT with the 2.7 as that would have been my choice...I hope I don't regret the 2.3. Based on the 30 minutes I had with the Bronco, I honestly think it will be plenty capable off road while also making a more than decent daily driver. It was worth the wait to drive it, now the wait begins to own one....

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree with the other post, I canā€™t see Ford replacing that.
I see at least 3 issues with that top. The honeycomb showing through, distorted panel on the clamshell above the glass on drivers side and an edge that looks like someone took a grinder to it.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hard to believe thatā€™s ā€œfilthā€ on the paint from that video. Itā€™s uniform across every part of the vehicle that he shows.
That's probably rail dust. That's what my car looked like when I went to Williams AZ. They have a train there that goes to the Grand Canyon.

Homer8715

Badlands
First Name
Artemis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 / 22 honda civic / acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ok so you buy it and get the top replaced afterwards , bingo you get a top made from the same place with the same Quilty control issues , remember these are the things you can see and ford knows it , what about all the Quilty issue that are hidden from your view , guess you can look at it like a coin that double stamped , but I doubt these issue are a rarity ,
Sponsored