EruptionEnvy602

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In the winter, our bronco is our snow vehicle (our AWD prius does well too!). I've got a rack on backorder, and will be installing a tailgate table for parking lot lunches.
I'd love to see builds that are ski/snowboard minded. Racks, boxes, storage for gear all are important. I'm wondering what other items are off my radar.
Sponsored

Molly&Moby

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco - Badlands, Sas, Lux, 2.7L. Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the winter, our bronco is our snow vehicle (our AWD prius does well too!). I've got a rack on backorder, and will be installing a tailgate table for parking lot lunches.
I'd love to see builds that are ski/snowboard minded. Racks, boxes, storage for gear all are important. I'm wondering what other items are off my radar.
We have a 4-door Badlands Sas with the Soft top. I have been looking for a ski rack solution that does not involve the hitch so the tailgate door is easily opened without any hassle. No one makes a spare tire rack anymore it seems. My garage door header is relatively low sow a soft top roof rack won't work either as there would not be enough clearance. So I came up with a solution for inside. I got a 4 ft by 1 inch square piece of aluminum. Spray painted it black and attached it to one of the headliner mount locations just behind the front row seats with a screw/bolt on each end. A strip of velcro on it and the rear roll cage, and patches on the top of each ski. Works great!! I am 6-4 and my skis are 185 length, the 2nd pair of skis are much shorter than mine. The skis fit perfectly, the velcro prevents any movement and/or rattling. The soft top clears everything when opening/closing. The skis are easily loaded and fit into position without having to open the top. Interested in anyone's thoughts. Pics attached.
Ford Bronco Wanted: ski/snowboard builds IMG_6898
Ford Bronco Wanted: ski/snowboard builds IMG_6900
Ford Bronco Wanted: ski/snowboard builds IMG_6901
Ford Bronco Wanted: ski/snowboard builds IMG_6903
Ford Bronco Wanted: ski/snowboard builds IMG_6904
Ford Bronco Wanted: ski/snowboard builds IMG_6905
Ford Bronco Wanted: ski/snowboard builds IMG_6906
Ford Bronco Wanted: ski/snowboard builds IMG_6907

Mainer

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Subaru Impreza Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only thing to consider is how much snow is going to be melting off them on the ride home and dripping all over everyone.
Otherwise, it’s pretty good.

mikes781

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting @Molly&Moby . Might have to steel that idea for hanging fishing rods in my Bronco. I don’t know about your skis my mine are caked with snow at the end of each day and would be getting dripped on the whole way home. I general clean them off before getting on the road but there is always some snow caked into the bindings that I needs to clean up once I get home.

This will be my first ski season with a Bronco after coming from a pickup with a cap. Pickup was very convenient for hauling ski gear. For my Bronco I have a cargo box for longer trips when I’m hauling several pairs of skis. For quick day runs when it’s just me or me and my daughter I’m putting the back seat down and will throw a pair or two back there.

Molly&Moby

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco - Badlands, Sas, Lux, 2.7L. Soft Top
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting @Molly&Moby . Might have to steel that idea for hanging fishing rods in my Bronco. I don’t know about your skis my mine are caked with snow at the end of each day and would be getting dripped on the whole way home. I general clean them off before getting on the road but there is always some snow caked into the bindings that I needs to clean up once I get home.

This will be my first ski season with a Bronco after coming from a pickup with a cap. Pickup was very convenient for hauling ski gear. For my Bronco I have a cargo box for longer trips when I’m hauling several pairs of skis. For quick day runs when it’s just me or me and my daughter I’m putting the back seat down and will throw a pair or two back there.
I too am moving from a truck with a garage door style rolling & locking bed cover. It is so convenient for hauling ski gear but the Bronco certainly drives better in the winter conditions.

My skis, which are 185 don’t fit well inside the Bronco with the seats down, too long. So I was looking for a solution that secured them while driving and was easy to get them in/out.

I hadn’t even thought of the melting snow issue, thanks for that reminder! The bindings rest behind the front row seats and 99.9% of the time it will be just my wife and I in there so that should not be an issue. I suspect binding covers could help.

Sponsored

mikes781

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven’t really missed my truck yet but do have to think about what I can fit in the back of the Bronco. That issue never came up with the truck. 😉

If I put the narrow back seat down I can get my 188s in the back if I angle them. Not ideal but can make it work. My 165s fit straight in no problem. Think anything much longer than them will have to be angled. Only concern with hauling them in the back is that they turn into a projectile if I’m ever in an accident.

OP
OP
EruptionEnvy602

EruptionEnvy602

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Really cool solution I'd never have considered. As cold and windy as it often is when we get to the mountain (our base elevation is ≈9000ft) I'm not sure I want to need to open the bronco to access gear. However, I applaud the ingenuity.
My goal is definitely to optimize the Bronco for ski trips and camping. Saw the heated seat add-ons people have done fir the back. I like that.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only concern with hauling them in the back is that they turn into a projectile if I’m ever in an accident.
I have a locker at our ski hill and several pair of my ski’s general live there.

Every week however a pair comes home for a tune (I typically teach 5 days per week). In those cases a padded ski bag lives in the back of my winter driver (Audi - not my Bronco). I don’t rock the ski bag for projectile protection, but rather to keep the interior from being scuffed up. That may be a solution for you.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I too am moving from a truck with a garage door style rolling & locking bed cover. It is so convenient for hauling ski gear but the Bronco certainly drives better in the winter conditions.

My skis, which are 185 don’t fit well inside the Bronco with the seats down, too long.
They don’t fit diagonally? My FIS GS skis fit fine in a 4 door.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the middle of working on a build right now. It's primarily for winter skiing, but also with camping in mind.

I will probably do a video on it eventually, but for now still a work in progress. So far:
  • Trailrax TSMR (roof rack)
    • More geared for camping/overlanding than skiing, but overall the best Bronco roof rack in my opinion
  • Old and crusty early-1990s Yakima ski racks
    • These will get replaced eventually, keeping my eye on holiday sales
  • Outback Adventure Trailgater (tailgate table)
  • Dometic CFX3 55 (fridge)
    • More for summer camping than winter skiing. But it can still get toasty in the Bronco during a sunny summer ski day