Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
November 21 Bronco went into service, 2.7 engine

Like many on this site I have been receiving Ford Pass notices of Battery Saver Mode etc. This has been going on for many months and I never had trouble starting. Some months ago I noticed that my dashboard Voltage reading was always up in the mid 14. something to 15. something even after all day driving. For those past months I just drove or re-charged with a charger but did NOT keep on a maintainer.

We were going to be gone about 20 days so I fully charged battery before leaving. Returned and on the 22nd day I went out and could not unlock the Bronco with the FOB. Nothing worked...completely dead.

Ford replaced my battery under warranty yesterday. Fully charged the battery and drove around today. From start up until I got home the on dash Volt reading was 13.2 to 13.9. So I am thinking that my continual high voltage reading of past months was a warning that the battery could not be fully charged even after being on a charger and being driven. I will watch my voltage as the new battery ages and I will get a new modern battery maintainer to keep on the battery if not being drive everyday.
The voltage readings had nothing to do with your battery dying. I think there's a huge draw on these Broncos (even while parked in your driveway). My battery will be dead after 10 days of not driving it regardless of the condition.

Pretty damn underwhelming for a vehicle you need to rely on for transportation.
Sponsored

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquach
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The voltage readings had nothing to do with your battery dying. I think there's a huge draw on these Broncos (even while parked in your driveway). My battery will be dead after 10 days of not driving it regardless of the condition.

One thing that held true with my mustang and now the Bronco is you can’t keep the key near it. The key keeps it alive. I used to keep the key in my mustang when it was always in the garage. And that would drain the battery. Started bringing it in and putting it well away from the car and that stopped completely.

OP
OP
ksdon

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I am puttering around in the garage near the Bronco it makes little clicks and some very short quite buzzes. Maybe blind spot indicators? Maybe other proximity sensors.
Point being is this thing sounds as if it is always on and always perkalating.

BadmansSAS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquach
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I am puttering around in the garage near the Bronco it makes little clicks and some very short quite buzzes. Maybe blind spot indicators? Maybe other proximity sensors.
Probably DI fuel system pumping up pressure to start.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wife's 22 Exploder does the same, for hours after you park it. Too many electronic gizmos due to regulations.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Personally I've left mine set for three weeks (21 days), no fob in it. I checked the battery voltage before I started it and it had 12.4. Started without issues. When I'm driving it everyday the battery has 12.8

10 days seems awful short to go dead. Something seems amiss.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Bronco does have a battery management system. This video is from an F150, but the Bronco does almost the exact same thing, and does a decent job of talking about how the BMS works for those that are curious.

It tracks all the amps going into and out of the battery, not just voltage -- so be careful when you charge it that you don't go straight on the negative terminal of the battery - that will bypass the BMS and the bronco won't "see" the charge. This is part of how it determines when to disable ASS and when to go into Deep Sleep mode.

Also, lots of short trips - it's very possible that you are overall draining the battery. I don't have a magic number to say what a short trip is versus any other trip, but I know on my WIfe's sport - she mostly runs to kid to the bus stop and back. A couple weeks of that and her Bronco will go into Deep Sleep because a 2 mile trip done frequently isn't enough to put any meaningful charge back into the battery.

The BMS is also part of how the Bronco determines how to run the alternator. It's normal to see periods up around the low 15V's, and it's normal to see voltages in the upper 12V's while out and driving - and everything in between. The Bronco tries to do the bulk of it's charging when it won't pull excess fuel (i.e. coasting, engine braking, etc).

The first sign that your battery is being overly taxed (too many short trips) or getting old and in need of replacement is that ASS will just stop. That is kind of hard to notice though, since it isn't a big red "Check Engine" light or anything. The second is the Deep Sleep notification.

So if you get Deep Sleep - it may just be low and need a bit of help, get your battery fully charged on a maintainer (being mindful the BMS needs to see the amps in). If it keeps doing it - time for a new battery.

If your wife runs the Bronc for like 15/20 mins before taking the kid to the bus stop it would help. Then when she comes back let it run for 15/20 mins. All electronics off. NO heat. No radio. No cell phone plugged in. Just let it idle. It will put a charge back into the battery.

I have a 2.7 Bronc and when the ASS shuts off the back of the Bronc sags down, it takes to load off the suspension. Plus I can hear a thump, when it turns off. Always makes me realize I didn't turn it off. Maybe a 2.3 does not do this.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If your wife runs the Bronc for like 15/20 mins before taking the kid to the bus stop it would help.
Yup, it sure would, I do agree. Given that it's garaged and it only takes her 5 minutes to run there and back though, she isn't gonna do that. And of course, she has to have the heated seats and steering wheel running and so forth. So ... trickle charger once a month or so seems to take care of it without her going off the deep end.

Wonder why the suspension sags / thump on your Bronco when ASS kicks in - I can't think of any active suspension... but the 2.7 does have electric brake assist, maybe that's it? I don't have ASS anymore with ProCal, but I remember when I did on my 2.3 I would just hear the the sewing machine shut off, but it would start smooth - just a pain dealing with it with the clutch and taking a bit longer to go, kind of like when the Hill Park Assist is on and it messes with your clutch feel.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yup, it sure would, I do agree. Given that it's garaged and it only takes her 5 minutes to run there and back though, she isn't gonna do that. And of course, she has to have the heated seats and steering wheel running and so forth. So ... trickle charger once a month or so seems to take care of it without her going off the deep end.

Wonder why the suspension sags / thump on your Bronco when ASS kicks in - I can't think of any active suspension... but the 2.7 does have electric brake assist, maybe that's it? I don't have ASS anymore with ProCal, but I remember when I did on my 2.3 I would just hear the the sewing machine shut off, but it would start smooth - just a pain dealing with it with the clutch and taking a bit longer to go, kind of like when the Hill Park Assist is on and it messes with your clutch feel.

A trickle charger will work too. I know what you mean about the wife thing, sometimes it is not worth the argument. :LOL:

Ever since I got my 2.7 10 spd it has been "raring to go" every time you put it in drive. It would drive 7 mph without me touching the gas. Now that I have a 5K on it, only goes 5 mph. I can tell the trans has "learned" some things. Not as "lagy" between 1st and 2nd, still there just not as pronounced. Now I'm not the guy who barely waits for the starter to stop before I drop it in gear and hit the gas. Most times when I start my vehicles, I allow them to run long enough for the idle to settle before taking off, the Bronc is no different. Since new, even with me doing this, when I put it in gear it pushes the suspension up, in the rear. This is just the convertor "loading" the drive train. Most times a person would not notice this but in my Bronc, it is very noticeable. I believe it comes from the soft suspension. My leaf sprung truck does not do it. You can still feel it "load" the suspension, but it does not push it up in the air. Consequently when you take it out of drive, or shut the car off like ASS, the "load" is taken off the suspension and it goes down. I believe the "thump" I hear is just the slop in all the drivetrain components as the load is taken away.

Most times I turn the ASS of while waiting for that idle to come down and put it in sport mode if I'm feeling spunky. 😁

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Like many on this site I have been receiving Ford Pass notices of Battery Saver Mode etc. This has been going on for many months and I never had trouble starting. Some months ago I noticed that my dashboard Voltage reading was always up in the mid 14. something to 15. something even after all day driving. For those past months I just drove or re-charged with a charger but did NOT keep on a maintainer.

We were going to be gone about 20 days so I fully charged battery before leaving. Returned and on the 22nd day I went out and could not unlock the Bronco with the FOB. Nothing worked...completely dead.

Ford replaced my battery under warranty yesterday. Fully charged the battery and drove around today. From start up until I got home the on dash Volt reading was 13.2 to 13.9. So I am thinking that my continual high voltage reading of past months was a warning that the battery could not be fully charged even after being on a charger and being driven. I will watch my voltage as the new battery ages and I will get a new modern battery maintainer to keep on the battery if not being drive everyday.
Ok I'll try to keep this short, kinda hard on this subject. I pay attention to mine as well. My Bronc has set for extended periods of time as well, up to 3 weeks at one time. One note I will make here is do NOT leave the fob in the Bronc while it is not being used, it thinks you are getting ready to start it. It will stay in "ready" mode. if you take the key fob away it will go to sleep. After one of those stints it would be around the 14.7 to 15.2. I started to drive the Bronc everyday for a couple of weeks. It took about a week to get the voltage back down to the 13.2 to 13.6 range. When I say drove it for a week my routine is......

Start the Bronc 10 to 15 mins before I need to leave, helps put a charge in the battery. While I'm in the store, leave the Bronc run. If I go to my cabin, I let it run while there. Sometimes this could be as long as 30 to 45 mins, maybe even an hour. For those that don't know this, about 20 to 30 mins of idle time the Bronc will shut off if you are not paying attention. A prompt will come across the screen. "do you wish to continue to run?". If you do not answer it, it shuts the Bronc off. When idling, it is best to turn off the radio and the heat/ac, unplug your phone, etc, helps put the charge back into the battery instead of running all the accessories.

This is NOT just a problem in the Bronc it is the way ALL new cars are. They have far too many electrical do-dads that take the power made by the alternator and it does not leave anything to "charge" the battery. I see it EVERY day. If you only take short trips it is not enough to put a charge back into the Bronc. If you drive it short trips it needs to run like I described above.

I've seen some others have posted about charging. Just remember cars have a battery sensor on them. Either disconnect the negative battery cable to charge or only hook the red (positive) lead to the battery. The black(negative) lead should go to the frame of the Bronc, NOT the negative of the battery. The sensor cannot "see" the voltage going through the system.

Trying not to get too techy on everyone, my wife hates it and then she doesn't listen. :LOL: So I'm sure someone will chime in to say that's not right. I'm just trying to speak from experience and to help "dumb it down" so the average Joe can understand. I'm not ASE certified nor am I some super automotive technician, but I do work in a garage and have been in the automotive aftermarket world for over 20 years, I've seen a few things.

I find it funny when customers come in the shop and I explain the above scenario they look at me like I have 4 heads. But then a week or two later that same customer comes back in and says. "I gotta admit I thought you were nuts but DAMN I have not had the issue anymore".

edit: I did not know about the RSE sliders but THAT will definitely cause you problems. Any constant draw is a death nail for a battery.

Fords for the last several years have a “smart” charging system. It takes into account a bunch of things to determine charging voltage, battery state of charge, battery temperature, system load, engine load, etc, etc. You will see the volt meter in the dash read as low as 13V and as high as close to 15 volts. This is done to not overcharge a hot battery, hot batteries charge quickly and easily, and not to undercharge a cold battery, they don’t charge so well. It also will unload the alternator when driver demands power and load it up coasting.

The only good thing about Auto Stop/Start is that it will only work if the battery is charged and healthy, if it quits working, the most common cause is a low battery.

And as mentioned in this thread, if you have ongoing battery problems and you have anything aftermarket hooked in the electrical system, that’s the first thing to look at. It is usually the culprit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ksdon

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
BadlandsA51 I do agree with that assessment. However, the aftermarket "stuff" is a large part of what makes our Bronco so enjoyable. With our new battery, day 1 began with a full charge with an AGM charger. We will let the battery live it's device addicted life on electrical support.
Hopefully the 3 amp maintainer will extend it's life.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BadlandsA51 I do agree with that assessment. However, the aftermarket "stuff" is a large part of what makes our Bronco so enjoyable. With our new battery, day 1 began with a full charge with an AGM charger. We will let the battery live it's device addicted life on electrical support.
Hopefully the 3 amp maintainer will extend it's life.
I agree that accessories are part of owning a Bronco, I’m just disgusted that so many accessories and their hacked-up installations cause so many issues. There is no reason that retractable steps should kill a battery in 2 or 3 days. There also is no reason that installations use scotch locks and cheap electrical tape to hook into circuits that shouldn’t be hooked into. I work in service at a Ford dealership and have seen some really sophomoric installations. The big issue is that the vehicle gets blamed for being junk because of the problems with add-ons.

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had that Ford pass app warning come up a couple days ago. Only hadn't been driven for a little over 24hrs.. Only thing I have installed recently was a cheap cargo area light, to replace the OEM one, with an on/off switch. I wonder if that is causing a battery drain. I will have to test this. This post actually has me thinking. I appreciate it 😃

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had that Ford pass app warning come up a couple days ago. Only hadn't been driven for a little over 24hrs.. Only thing I have installed recently was a cheap cargo area light, to replace the OEM one, with an on/off switch. I wonder if that is causing a battery drain. I will have to test this. This post actually has me thinking. I appreciate it 😃
It’s more likely that the battery has been running low for a while and just got low enough to trigger the message. Do you still have stop/start active? Has it been working?

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Voltage readings up to ~15.2 can be completely normal depending on certain criteria. Also if you’re going to manually charge your battery, just be sure you’re using an AGM compatible charger otherwise you could damage the battery.
My voltage was consistently 15-15.4
At dealer 4x said battery and alt. good.
After the second notification from the Ford app. I put battery on charge 10 minutes and reset battery monitor.
It has been almost 2 months since voltage after start up 15-15.2 for about 5 minutes then down to 14 volt range
Sponsored