Sponsored

What happens to a 2021 VIN that isn't built before December?

onetong8r

Base
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, VW Beetle, Jeep TJ, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Like most others I'm a little frustrated with my Bronco situation. I wasn't an early reservation, did my order on 1/21 and at the time assuming I would be a MY 2022 I was going to '99' so I could get a basemansquatch. My dealer said that if I don't hate an automatic they could place the order like that and I may get lucky and get a 2021. If not I would need to redo the order anyway in December for a '22 when the order banks open. Sounded reasonable so I did that.

Fast forward to April and on 4/15 I got the magic email saying I have a VIN and I'm scheduled to build the week of 6/28! I called my dealer and asked how that was possible and they said it was luck of the draw and I wasn't a high priority or a special allocation. Then I got bumped to the week of 7/12. Then the week of 8/23. Currently the week of 9/27 which is half way from my starting date to MY22 production.

I know there are a ton of FE and others that still need to be built this year and there's nothing to do at this point but wait but what happens to a MY21 VIN if it can't be built because they don't have MIC tops or chips or COVID shut downs or whatever? Would Ford pull the VIN back and reissue a 22VIN? Just curious. :)
Sponsored