Sponsored

Where is external temperature sensor on the Bronco?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Outside Air Temperature

The Outside Air Temperature (OAT) sensor is located in the driver side mirror, and hardwired to the PCM through separate input and return circuits. The PCM provides a reference voltage to the Outside Air Temperature (OAT) sensor and monitors the change in voltage resulting from changes in resistance as determined by outside air temperature.

The PCM sends the ambient air temperature data to the HVAC module where the temperature data is filtered. The HVAC module sends the filtered outside air temperature data to the IPC to display the outside air temperature.

The HVAC module is programmed to update the messaged outside temperature data at different rates depending on several criteria to prevent false temperature displays due to a condition known as heat soaking. Heat soaking is where the outside air temperature is hotter in the location of the Outside Air Temperature (OAT) sensor than the actual outside air temperature.

The outside air temperature display update strategy requires a starting temperature to update from. This starting temperature is controlled based on the length of time the engine is off and the engine temperature. When the engine has been off for longer than 4 hours, the update strategy begins with the unfiltered ambient air temperature input to the PCM . If the engine has been off for less than 4 hours, and the engine coolant temperature is less than 30° C (86° F), the update strategy begins with the filtered ambient air temperature equal to the unfiltered ambient air temperature. If the engine has been off for less than 4 hours, and the engine coolant temperature is greater than 30° C (86° F), the update strategy begins at the stored previous outside air temperature value.

When the sensed outside temperature rises and the vehicle speed is above 32 km/h (21 mph), the outside air temperature display updates after approximately 90 seconds. As the vehicle speed increases, the outside air temperature display updates at a faster rate that is proportional to the increase in vehicle speed. Once the vehicle speed exceeds 80 km/h (50 mph), the display updates without any delay. If the vehicle speed drops below 32 km/h (21 mph), the update delays reset. When the sensed outside temperature drops, the display updates more quickly following the drop experienced by the Outside Air Temperature (OAT) sensor.
Sponsored

BruceAZ

Badlands
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands/Sas, 04 Jeep Rucicon, 85 MB Gwagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Outside Air Temperature

When the sensed outside temperature rises and the vehicle speed is above 32 km/h (21 mph), the outside air temperature display updates after approximately 90 seconds. As the vehicle speed increases, the outside air temperature display updates at a faster rate that is proportional to the increase in vehicle speed. Once the vehicle speed exceeds 80 km/h (50 mph), the display updates without any delay. If the vehicle speed drops below 32 km/h (21 mph), the update delays reset. When the sensed outside temperature drops, the display updates more quickly following the drop experienced by the Outside Air Temperature (OAT) sensor.
This is an old thread, but thanks to the search function I found it and thanks to Flip for the explanation.
I was 4-wheeling a week ago for a couple days and noticed that the outside temp display did not change until I got back on a road and at a decent speed. I figured it had something to do with speed, but didn't know where the sensor is or how it worked. The only thing I would say is that "below 21mph the update delays reset" would seem to better read "below 21mph the update blocks reset". I would go literally for hours with no change in the display even tho the outside temperature changed by 20-30 degrees.
Nice to know the thing is working as designed, even tho I would prefer a more accurate display at low speeds.

Bronco_Lyfe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 2500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ambient Air Temperature Sensor
Special Tool(s) / General Equipment

Flat-Bladed Screwdriver
Removal

NOTE:
Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

• Using a suitable tool, pry and detach the ambient air temperature sensor bezel from the LH exterior mirror housing.
      Use the General Equipment: Flat-Bladed Screwdriver
    • Disconnect the ambient air temperature sensor electrical connector and remove the ambient air temperature sensor.
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • If replacing the ambient air temperature sensor a reset must be performed.
How do I do the reset?