Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
All in all a very weird story.

My Viper was stolen, after recovery no problem with Chrysler to get new old Vin tags for all vin locations.

A similar story with a Toyota. Not stolen but rebuild after hit by a train.

Why on earth would Ford not send you a Vin plate??
No clue why they act like its such a problem. If you have the proper paperwork and sign-offs, and a Ford dealer installs it, I don't understand what the issue would be. Like I said earlier, if you as a company are so damn worried about stolen VIN tags or people replicating them, then maybe don't make them an easily removable stupid sticker and keep using a riveted plate which has worked just fine for 100 years. Instead the dealer that screwed up even told me its next to impossible to get one from Ford. That was their only response to all of this....like ok? So you screwed up and then tell the owner of the vehicle ... sorry you're S.O.L. Its a bit insane. If I was the original owner, I would 100% be suing, and then I bet you magically somehow getting a VIN sticker wouldn't be so "impossible".
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No clue why they act like its such a problem. If you have the proper paperwork and sign-offs, and a Ford dealer installs it, I don't understand what the issue would be. Like I said earlier, if you as a company are so damn worried about stolen VIN tags or people replicating them, then maybe don't make them an easily removable stupid sticker and keep using a riveted plate which has worked just fine for 100 years. Instead the dealer that screwed up even told me its next to impossible to get one from Ford. That was their only response to all of this....like ok? So you screwed up and then tell the owner of the vehicle ... sorry you're S.O.L. Its a bit insane. If I was the original owner, I would 100% be suing, and then I bet you magically somehow getting a VIN sticker wouldn't be so "impossible".
I would tell them "next to impossible and impossible are 2 different things". I think the fact that you are on the other side of the country makes them think you won't just show up and drop it in their lap. Had the original owner noticed and said something right away, this would go a different way. weird story for sure! If I ever buy something out of state, I'm gonna ask for pics of vin tags, before closing the deal now!

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would tell them "next to impossible and impossible are 2 different things". I think the fact that you are on the other side of the country makes them think you won't just show up and drop it in their lap. Had the original owner noticed and said something right away, this would go a different way. weird story for sure! If I ever buy something out of state, I'm gonna ask for pics of vin tags, before closing the deal now!
I agree with you. That said, I told them in reality its their issue either way if I decide to go that way. Either I bring it in and they fix it, or I give it back to the PO and he brings it in. Either way its their problem. Plus its the 21st century, its quite simple for them to figure out how to order the VIN sticker, and then send it to my local dealer and cover the cost of labor (as they would be incurring the cost anyways). I think they just hoped it would go away, and lucky for them, It is. I have more pressing life matters that are time sensitive I have to deal with and so Ill fix it myself (since the repro tag turns out to be legal), but if that was not the case, I certainly would be pressing to make sure they handled their screw up.

Yes pictures of the VIN always now and forever! After all of this, I think this will be my last purchase of a vehicle without physically seeing it.

TXBronco1313

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

OP I’m happy you’re about to finally put this whole thing behind your back but not gonna lie I’m kinda bummed this is coming to an end. This thread had more plot twists than a Netflix reality show

GMC

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Where's the previous owner in all this? Seems to me they owe you at least $350 for making life easier on them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Is a simple calculation. Even minimal effort by the dealer has a cost.

You are not brining them any revenue or in their minds are able to cost them any revenue.

Therefore they will not do anything to help you.

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well we've finally come to an end. I appreciate everyone's help on this no-so-fun ride. Today I had the window replaced and for all those that were curious, no the VIN sticker was not hidden behind it or under it.

I contacted the dealer earlier last week who stated their body shop are the ones that replaced the window. The body shop called me and essentially told me in so many words that "there was no possible way they removed or destroyed the sticker when replacing the window". The glass guys today said otherwise. They told me it happens all the time and that its actually more common than most think, especially when cheap places replace widows using grinding wheels/scuff sanders/etc. rather than the string removal method. As photos can show, the dealer (or dealers body shop) did an absolute shit job. As the window guys today even pointed out, its pretty obvious they cut through the original VIN and they even cut a slice into the metal with their grinder (see photos). The entire surrounding is scratched and repainted haphazardly. None of the scratches you see are from todays removal as they used a high tensile string to cut through the glazing, all the scratches and burrs are from the dealers replacement. Big shout out to Palmetto Ford-Lincoln in Charleston for amazing work....NOT. I have no issue placing them on blast here as their work speaks for itself and they are denying that its even possible a VIN sticker could be scraped off (Which it very much is and easily I might add). According to the window replacement fellas here, the dealer generally will use the cheapest 3rd party company they can find or cheapest removal method for these recalls so Id advise anyone who may have one to either use insurance and have a quality place do it, or be very adamant to the dealer that you wont tolerate crap work.

Anyways, new VIN sticker on and finally can put this to bed and get the vehicle registered.

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN adrseb

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN IMG_3832

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN qeyha5

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN IMG_3834

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN IMG_3836

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN se

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN IMG_3838

Last edited:

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow that's pretty crazy!
Thanks for coming through with the update OP!

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford has a web page in FMC Dealer specifically for this. We have had this happen at our dealship before and we go on there. Its not impossible, but it can be a mind numbing procedure depending who is on the other side of that request.

1. FMCDEALER
  2. PARTS & SERVICE
  3. COMMUNICATIONS
  4. REGION REGISTRATIONS, ENROLLMENTS & FORMS
  5. VIN PLATE / DECAL [REPLACEMENT] / SAFETY CERTIFICATION LABEL [REPLACEMENT] REQUEST FORM

The above is the page in FMC Dealer if you want to have them try and save yourself some cash. Also the VIN Plate is hand delivered by a Ford Employee.

Please Note: Ford Motor Company can only reissue a VIN Plate / Decal if the VIN Plate / Decal affixed to the vehicle is incorrect from the factory / plant or was damaged during a Field Service Action Repair [must notate FSA Campaign # below]. If your request for a VIN Plate / Decal does not meet this criteria, please contact your Dept of Motor Vehicles or Secretary of the State (Michigan) for their process for VIN PLATE REPLACEMENT. [May be a process similar to a Stolen Vehicle or Recovered Vehicle VIN Plate / Decal Replacement Process]

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Early Ford Bronco Bill Stroppe; 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is normal for the CHP to inspect the vehicle when the VIN is missing. I had to do this for my 1973 Bronco. The CHP will inspect the vehicle to verify every location where the VIN could be posted. This is to prevent car theft. On the new Bronco, the VIN is also located near the GOAT mode dial.
Sponsored