FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I purchased a 2022 Badlands from a private party out of state off of Autotrader and it was delivered today (very excited). I live in California, so of course I already knew registering an out of state car was going to be a pain but when I took it for the VIN verification at DMV the employee there seemed confused that my vin number was only on the inner door jam and not visible in the windshield (see photo). I found this odd too as I've never had a vehicle that didn't have the vin visible in the window. He told me I was going to have to be referred the CHP now for them to do further verifications. Is this normal?

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg
Sponsored

Sponsored
OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it is visible on the door frame why is missing marked when door frame is a location option on the form?
I was wondering that as well. I may go back to DMV and point that out. Or maybe just make an appointment with CHP. I wonder if in California you have to have it in the window and anything else is considered missing

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm wondering if it got a replacement windshield at some point that wasn't made correctly.

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The door frame is a sticker, the windshield is an actual vin tag which includes tamper proof protections.

There are several cases posted here about a pretty sophisticated group of thieves reprinting door stickers and placing fake markings to sell stolen Broncos to unwitting people- I hope I'm wrong.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You should have VINs in other locations. On the Taurus the engine and transmission had the vin stampings. Under the dash had a hidden VIN stamping. I bet there’s a stamp on the axle, I just don’t know where all the “hidden” ones are on a bronco. There’s more than the windshield and door jam.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's odd - It's not somehow pushed up a little higher, and under the black border of the windshield? I have no idea if it's a sticker or something more complex, but wondering if it shifted somehow, especially if the windshield has been replaced.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it is visible on the door frame why is missing marked when door frame is a location option on the form?
Is it a sticker on the door frame? O/P doesn't even have the QR code. There is no way his windshield cutout for the VIN is that far off. Fishy fishy...

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As @HBTFD said, there are VINs everywhere.

Easiest one that came to mind: If you pop open the hood, there should be a VIN sticker along both side fenders.

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN 1708998212647

If you are missing VIN stickers in those spots too... then... you may want to contain your excitement.

Last edited: