FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ah yes, got to update you all. So I actually had a my CHP appointment yesterday.

The officer was very understanding. His very first question was if the window had ever been replaced. Which obviously the answer was yes, it was during a recall. He stated he's seen this happen a few times where a careless removal of the window has also removed the sticker.

We did not remove the window, as obviously it would be destroyed if we did and he felt there is no way the sticker just fell. Upon closer look though, we noticed there is a small slice through the FoMoCo sticker that looks like a careless razorblade struck through it. We both agree what 99% probably occurred was the vehicle was taken in for a recall on the windshield and during removal a careless body shop employee was overzealous and while cutting out the foam/sealant, cut the vin sticker and destroyed it. Whether knowingly or not is up for debate but he likely knew he did and panicked. So he either decided to remove the now destroyed sticker as to be less obvious, or just didn't even notice (hard to believe). Either way, no one noticed and the window was replaced and returned to the unsuspecting owner.

CHP did a full inspection and database search. The vehicle is clean, and all the confidential hidden frame VINs are present further confirming this was a body shop screw up.

My options came down to these 4:

1. Return the car to the previous owner as the contract of buying the car through Autotrader is void. It was not as advertised and in its current state I am unable to register it as-is. After speaking to a lawyer, I do not have a case against the dealership but the previous owner DOES. So its essentially his issue and he needs to get it fixed. I would be out my shipping costs and in for a fun time/wait to get all my taxes paid back. (Also Autotrader still has not gotten back to me on this anyway)

2. Have CHP place a "Blue tag Vin" on the vehicle, and then I can register it. Unfortunately this involves them drilling into the A or B pillar of the driver side door and placing a rather unsightly metal blue tag. I still would not have a visible VIN but apparently this would solve the registration issues. The CHP officer said he really does not want to do this as its a new car and it will most definitely make the vehicle harder to sell down the road and decrease its value significantly (I agree with him, I wouldn't buy a car like that, id be very weary).

3. Contact the South Carolina dealership again and try to get this resolved. I have spoken to the Service manager there and he seems to want to try and help but also was as a loss of how to proceed. He gave me the body shop managers number and contact and I've called, left a message and I am still awaiting a call back. I know this was done at a dealership across the country, but its their fuck up and I feel they need to fix it. The Service manager said its an act of congress to get new VIN stickers from Ford. I find it hard to believe a Ford body shop cannot order new VIN stickers. What happens when there is an accident and the dashboard must be removed or the B pillar is destroyed and must be repainted? They clearly have to order new stickers to place on the vehicle, this isn't THAT uncommon, and the CHP officer agreed, they clearly have a way. In my opinion, they need get a new sticker ordered and collaborate with a local dealer here to get this repaired. Either way, whether its me or the PO, this dealership screwed up and they need to fix it. If I return the car, the PO will just be at the dealer to get it fixed so they need to do right.

4. This option believe it or not was actually suggested by CHP when I was there. As all of the above options are an enormous hassle and may not even be possible. The easiest option is to have to window removed/relaced, order a sticker myself from one of the dozens of companies that make "replica VIN numbers for restoration purposes" and place the new sticker there when the window is off, then register the car and no issue will ever come of it. According to the officer, its illegal to tamper with the VIN but...its already been tampered with and its not even present so technically its not tampering. He reiterated the car is clean, there is no question that the VINs all match and there is no problem with the car. He said if I went that route, no one would ever know or care because the car is clean and there isn't a reason to investigate it further. I was actually surprised he told me this, but honestly, its a stupid sticker and it just needs to be there and match the rest. Clearly not an official way to go about, but seems the cheapest and simplest at this point.

So at this point I'm debating options. The officer said he is keeping my paperwork out of the system and 'pending' until I decide what to do.

Lesson is, check your windshield when its replaced for the VIN since the days of riveted plates are gone. So stupid and frustrating.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That’s great news, glad you got a knowledgeable officer!
Great news the car isn't stolen or Hinky...bad news are all my options suck haha. Ya this was specifically a VIN officer so this is all he does. He said he would reach out to one of their top experts in LA to see if they had any contacts for me too so that was nice.

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I feel like option 4 might be the easiest and cheapest option tbh
Option 4 is probably what is going to happen here, I'm over the headache. Luckily there is a small crack in the windshield already so I'm going to try and use insurance for the window replacement. $100 sticker and $100 deductible and ill never deal with this again..... otherwise its going to cost me thousand's

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've read this entire thread and the only thing I concluded of this whole mess is that yet another cost saving cheap decision by Ford causes the end user more hassle than it's worth. Honestly , why would they get rid of the stamped metal VIN plate to replace it with a decal that probably will fade and deteriorate from UV damage down the road ?

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've read this entire thread and the only thing I concluded of this whole mess is that yet another cost saving cheap decision by Ford causes the end user more hassle than it's worth. Honestly , why would they get rid of the stamped metal VIN plate to replace it with a decal that probably will fade and deteriorate from UV damage down the road ?
Agreed. I actually asked the VIN officer about this and he said its completely idiotic but Ford isn't the only ones that have made this change. Its like a previous poster said, some Jr. accountant at Ford got a ton of praise for coming up with a cost savings of 90cents per VIN tag and getting rid of the tooling to stamp them. Ill anticipate this becomes more of an issue the more prevalent and older these vehicles get. Also for such a concern of "faking VIN tags", its certainly easier to fake a sticker than a VIN plate or laser etching with specialized rivets. Just nonsense really.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Damn rocks flying all over the road these days too. Makes comprehensive glass coverage look like a good deal

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Damn rocks flying all over the road these days too. Makes comprehensive glass coverage look like a good deal
Something tells me when my sticker arrives, I'm going to conveniently hit a nice sized rock on the highway...

Last edited:

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d direct my hate not at Ford but at a government system that knows the car is good, knows every other VIN tag is good, knows what happened and still says, “sorry, nothing we can do”.

Sponsored
OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’d direct my hate not at Ford but at a government system that knows the car is good, knows every other VIN tag is good, knows what happened and still says, “sorry, nothing we can do”.
I mean the state of California has a solution, its get an eyesore tag drilled into the side of my B-pillar and have to disclose this whole mess to any buyer which would likely scare 99% away. I don't blame Ford corporate but the dealership is 100% at fault here. They had a recall to do, did it, fixed one issue but then created a much larger and complex one and then essentially are telling me there's nothing they can do and I need to reach out to Ford consumer affairs, which I've done and after speaking to about 7 people there, got 0 solutions except a PO box address in Michigan to send a written complaint letter. Kind of insane honestly.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

4. This option believe it or not was actually suggested by CHP when I was there. As all of the above options are an enormous hassle and may not even be possible. The easiest option is to have to window removed/relaced, order a sticker myself from one of the dozens of companies that make "replica VIN numbers for restoration purposes" and place the new sticker there when the window is off, then register the car and no issue will ever come of it. According to the officer, its illegal to tamper with the VIN but...its already been tampered with and its not even present so technically its not tampering. He reiterated the car is clean, there is no question that the VINs all match and there is no problem with the car. He said if I went that route, no one would ever know or care because the car is clean and there isn't a reason to investigate it further. I was actually surprised he told me this, but honestly, its a stupid sticker and it just needs to be there and match the rest. Clearly not an official way to go about, but seems the cheapest and simplest at this point.

So at this point I'm debating options. The officer said he is keeping my paperwork out of the system and 'pending' until I decide what to do.

Lesson is, check your windshield when its replaced for the VIN since the days of riveted plates are gone. So stupid and frustrating.
Agree the 'repo' vin sticker appears to be the best option.
I take it Ford will not issue a replacement vin sticker?

Your vin has already been verified. Taking the easiest/best cost option to replace it seems to be the best way to go. You're staying within the law/requirements to cya.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Agreed. I actually asked the VIN officer about this and he said its completely idiotic but Ford isn't the only ones that have made this change. Its like a previous poster said, some Jr. accountant at Ford got a ton of praise for coming up with a cost savings of 90cents per VIN tag and getting rid of the tooling to stamp them. Ill anticipate this becomes more of an issue the more prevalent and older these vehicles get. Also for such a concern of "faking VIN tags", its certainly easier to fake a sticker than a VIN plate or laser etching with specialized rivets. Just nonsense really.
Correct, cost, cost, cost. Its amazing what companies will do to save far less.

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just in the spirit of keeping this thread up to date, Ill add some more information so if this ever occurs to someone else, they can skip some of the headaches I've had to.

I received a few PMs regarding some members' concerns with the legality of using an aftermarket VIN tag. As can be seen by the email I received from the VIN department wing of the California Highway Patrol, they agree using a 'repo' VIN sticker is the best option and will be signing off my registration paperwork once its placed so I can then register the car. It is bummer Ford or the dealership could not provide a solution for me, especially since they are the ones that caused the issue. With insurance covering the glass (after I may or may not strategically hit a rock) and the sticker cost Ill be out about $350, some years off my life from the stress and a ton of wasted time. I appreciate everyone's input and help through all of this debacle.

Be sure to check your windshield after any removal, warn them of the potential to destroy the sticker or even watch the technician remove the glass. This is one thing you don't ever want to deal with and Ford will not help you even if they're at fault.

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN ch

SwissBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, JL, Hummer H1,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All in all a very weird story.

My Viper was stolen, after recovery no problem with Chrysler to get new old Vin tags for all vin locations.

A similar story with a Toyota. Not stolen but rebuild after hit by a train.

Why on earth would Ford not send you a Vin plate??
Sponsored