Sponsored

Which trim for light offroading/camping?

ktbonefish

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey Everyone,

Like the rest of you I'm interested in the new Bronco. I'm not a Ford guy let alone a offroading / "Jeep" fan but the Bronco really caught my eye and looks like a lot of fun. I currently drive an Scion FR-S. I'm looking for suggestions on which trim would be appropriate for the type of activities I want to do with it. I currently enjoy camping and scuba diving and need one that can get around on snow and sand and maybe some light rough paths to get to camp sites. I know the base trim can handle the two terrains. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or anything mildly "extreme" like shown in the preview videos.

I've been eyeing the Black Diamond trim as the washable interior really catches my eye. But is it overkill for what I want to do? Is the Sasquatch package more ideal for this or is even that too much?

As an additional question, is it beneficial to get the 2.7L engine for what I want to do or is the 2.3L more than enough? Does anyone have any idea what the price differential between the two is yet?

Thanks
Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey Everyone,

Like the rest of you I'm interested in the new Bronco. I'm not a Ford guy let alone a offroading / "Jeep" fan but the Bronco really caught my eye and looks like a lot of fun. I currently drive an Scion FR-S. I'm looking for suggestions on which trim would be appropriate for the type of activities I want to do with it. I currently enjoy camping and scuba diving and need one that can get around on snow and sand and maybe some light rough paths to get to camp sites. I know the base trim can handle the two terrains. I don't plan on doing any rock crawling or anything mildly "extreme" like shown in the preview videos.

I've been eyeing the Black Diamond trim as the washable interior really catches my eye. But is it overkill for what I want to do? Is the Sasquatch package more ideal for this or is even that too much?

As an additional question, is it beneficial to get the 2.7L engine for what I want to do or is the 2.3L more than enough? Does anyone have any idea what the price differential between the two is yet?

Thanks
Literally any trim can get you camping.

LorenzeTorres

Badlands
First Name
Lo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/ 2002 BMW M3/ 2016 BMW M2/ 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Outerbanks might be the one to go. It’s more than enough for your adventures but gives a little room for growth if you get bored of what you’re doing.

I’m always off-roading and have a pretty serious rig and the badlands with Sasquatch pack offers everything I have on my current truck plus more

OP
OP
ktbonefish

ktbonefish

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I get that but I'm asking which trim is overkill for someone with no experience in anything but a paved road? I see the differences in the trims according to the spec sheet, I just don't understand what I need and what I don't for what I want to do.

BE_

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 jeep cherokee, piece of junk Korean car
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get that but I'm asking which trim is overkill for someone with no experience in anything but a paved road? I see the differences in the trims according to the spec sheet, I just don't understand what I need and what I don't for what I want to do.
true, the black diamond has some overkill features, but i think the washable interior is worth it.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like, at most, you just need 4x4. You don't need lockers, 35's, etc. for some light paths.

Honestly the Bronco Sport is all you really need.

NoBigDeal

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's better to have and not need, than need and not have. However, all trims should be able to do whatever you want. Even though I'm sure it would work fine I would avoid the Wildtrack it will more than likely have a softer suspension designed more for going fast. Lastly it's kind of too early to tell. We don't have all the information yet, but in the leaked options list it was mentioned to have a tow package. If you are going to carry a lot of gear I would recommend the tow package if it's offered. It should have a stiffer suspension.

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would check out the Big Bend and spec whatever luxury/tech packages you want with it, plus accessories when we can see them.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We're pretty much in the same boat as you are with the no heavy off road use, and we are going with the 4 door Big Bend with the 7 speed. I figured we don't need lockers and the larger tires, but it will still be more capable than the sport. We also require our next vehicle to have a manual, so... sport is out.

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Plus ten points for asking the question.

My suggestion is focus on the interior options you want. Get the lowest model you can get with the interior stuff you want. The capability already baked into the platform will be plenty.

Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Plus ten points for asking the question.

My suggestion is focus on the interior options you want. Get the lowest model you can get with the interior stuff you want. The capability already baked into the platform will be plenty.
This or let your budget decide. Any SUV will get you down a dirt road with appropriate tires. A base model with 'Squatch will climb a mountain. Anything else is just gravy.

OP
OP
ktbonefish

ktbonefish

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This or let your budget decide. Any SUV will get you down a dirt road with appropriate tires. A base model with 'Squatch will climb a mountain. Anything else is just gravy.
That's good to know and puts it into good perspective. Thank you!

OP
OP
ktbonefish

ktbonefish

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
true, the black diamond has some overkill features, but i think the washable interior is worth it.
I agree. If I could get the washable interior as an addon I would just go with that.

Reactions: BE_

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree. If I could get the washable interior as an addon I would just go with that.
Agree the washable interior and marine vinyl seats as an add on to the base model will be great. If not the black diamond would be my choice.
Sponsored