BroncoBarn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have the dealer do this kind of work while under warranty.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think this is an easy question to answer. The shop was removing that nut to change the parts behind it. If those parts have been changed then they were putting it back together and stripped the nut. If the parts behind the nut haven't been changed then they had no reason to be installing the nut yet so it happened during removal.
I've had factory bolts strip during removal before, even if properly installed, because debris will destroy the threads while backing it off.
I also agree I'd chase the threads, put on a new nut and keep going.
Good luck with the repair.
Agreed. My post was similar to yours. If the work was done...then it is their fault, if the work was never done it is Fords.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think this is an easy question to answer. The shop was removing that nut to change the parts behind it. If those parts have been changed then they were putting it back together and stripped the nut. If the parts behind the nut haven't been changed then they had no reason to be installing the nut yet so it happened during removal.
I've had factory bolts strip during removal before, even if properly installed, because debris will destroy the threads while backing it off.
I also agree I'd chase the threads, put on a new nut and keep going.
Good luck with the repair.
What are the odds they have a chaser in that size? Maybe easier/cheaper/better to replace the axle.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Axel is getting replaced and Ford has stepped up to cover it under warranty
Can you please explain how you worked through this to get that result? I’m very impressed and want to know your strategy, brutal insistence or calculated kindness? Thank you

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Im guessing pure luck thatwouldnt happen again. Lol

Reactions: 0ne
OP
OP
Jbou1010

Jbou1010

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can you please explain how you worked through this to get that result? I’m very impressed and want to know your strategy, brutal insistence or calculated kindness? Thank you
[/QUOTE

Ford salesman is a good friend of mine and went to bat for it with his service department. I told them to order the part and that I would pay for it. Think buddy used me willing to pay as an example of me not trying to make anyone lose money. It only has 83 miles

Reactions: 0ne

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tire place guy calls and says you need a new right axel. Says it wasn't threaded properly before they used the gun on it and it stripped. Says ford issue. Ford said it didn't happen at there place so they're saying tire place did it. Anyone know enough to tell me who's in the wrong? I am clueless about this. First pic is what it's supposed to look like.

01309147-26DF-4322-B7A8-6A1F2E8B4378.jpeg

DC737D86-995B-4C7E-BCD9-8CD17757EC9C.jpeg

3494A656-256D-4C0A-B028-B95947524FE3.jpeg
If you stick with the tire shop to continue the lift install I would politely insist only their best Tech touch the vehicle going forward even if it takes longer. Meet the tech if possible and give him the firm hand shake. Bring him a 6 pack after the rest goes well. My guess is a flunky was in charge of your tear down.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you stick with the tire shop to continue the lift install I would politely insist only their best Tech touch the vehicle going forward even if it takes longer. Meet the tech if possible and give him the firm hand shake. Bring him a 6 pack after the rest goes well. My guess is a flunky was in charge of your tear down.
At the very least, have whoever removes those nuts to PLEASE read the instructions, relieve the staking depression that holds nut in place, or use a nut splitter to remove it without having to use a wrench. These nuts are called "one-time-use" for a reason

Knyhuis

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Freestar
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tire place guy calls and says you need a new right axel. Says it wasn't threaded properly before they used the gun on it and it stripped. Says ford issue. Ford said it didn't happen at there place so they're saying tire place did it. Anyone know enough to tell me who's in the wrong? I am clueless about this. First pic is what it's supposed to look like.

01309147-26DF-4322-B7A8-6A1F2E8B4378.jpeg

DC737D86-995B-4C7E-BCD9-8CD17757EC9C.jpeg

3494A656-256D-4C0A-B028-B95947524FE3.jpeg
It's a tire shops fault the they cross threaded it if it was a mistread it would go all the way up the shaft not just at the tip

jimd1

Badlands
First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f 150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i had same issue when having leveling kit installed mech found stripped axle and nut threads, i had to replace axle and nut ford dealer refused to even attempt to cover it under warranty.
Sponsored