First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Man wish we coulda seen it happen. But nice to hear someone talk about the design/geometry. Saying that it’s because the part is placed at an extreme angle, and then stressed beyond that is something I don’t think anyone has really brought up. They just say it broke and it’s a weak/poorly designed part.

Now this doesn’t explain the guy who was stock and snapped a tie Rod trying to turn around in his driveway 😂
Recently wheeled in Uhwarrie OHV area and finally witnessed the infamous TIE ROD SNAP!

Tie rod snapped on a Bronco with 4" lift and 37's.

There is something fishy with the guy turning around in the driveway. I'm not saying he is lying, but it was obvious from the photo the joint was under extreme stress at some point. If this was a systemic problem there would be tie rods snapping everyday. That said, it's true rack & pinion steering isn't going to take the off road abuse that old recirc ball can, but I wouldn't trade it no way. The Bronco steers tighter and nicer than my Sedan.
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Again, people are saying, "Why are my stock tie rods braking???? Fords quality is crap!!!" No, you have a 4 inch lift and 37s, no wonder your tie rods brake.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mean he hits the nail on the head, the geometry is outside of the designed intent. 99.9% of the failures are on Broncos that are lifted with 37s. There are of course a few outliers but those more than likely should be chalked up at factory defects. I personally have done some fairly difficult wheeling with my stock Badlands SAS and not had an issue.

As to the geometry, the aftermarket just hasn't caught up yet. The lifts are coming out, but the solutions to the problems the lifts create are lagging just a bit. What we really need to see are things like aftermarket knuckles that move the tierod attachment point up to maintain the correct angles needed with a lift and 37's.

Ford Bronco Witnessed the infamous TIE ROD SNAP! 1662475843381

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This case of broken tie rod happened just yesterday on Top of the World trail, MOAB. The owner thought it was because the front locker was NOT engaged, the rocks kind of pinched the wheels and bang! Luckily an angel in our group had a spare !
Ford Bronco Witnessed the infamous TIE ROD SNAP! 20220905_130855

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is something fishy with the guy turning around in the driveway. I'm not saying he is lying, but it was obvious from the photo the joint was under extreme stress at some point. If this was a systemic problem there would be tie rods snapping everyday. That said, it's true rack & pinion steering isn't going to take the off road abuse that old recirc ball can, but I wouldn't trade it no way. The Bronco steers tighter and nicer than my Sedan.
yeah I don’t think my issue is a widespread thing and that’s why I’m not worried about it. Every vehicle has its flukes and I’m just glad it happened in the driveway

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you confirm the OUTER rod broke? Seems like the inner is the weak spot. If OUTERs are breaking too, then I’ll have to double up on my spare parts! Any pics?
Sorry, on pain medication for an arm injury. :ROFLMAO: Brain is a little scrambled still.

Yes the INNER broke at the jam nut where it meets the outer tie rod.

Also, make sure you don't damage the steering boot during the tie rod change. The boots cost more than the tie rod itself!

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice! Thanks for posting Chase.
Who says a Wildtrak can’t rock crawl?
Would a Broncbuster brace have helped or broken the steering box?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mean he hits the nail on the head, the geometry is outside of the designed intent. 99.9% of the failures are on Broncos that are lifted with 37s. There are of course a few outliers but those more than likely should be chalked up at factory defects. I personally have done some fairly difficult wheeling with my stock Badlands SAS and not had an issue.

As to the geometry, the aftermarket just hasn't caught up yet. The lifts are coming out, but the solutions to the problems the lifts create are lagging just a bit. What we really need to see are things like aftermarket knuckles that move the tierod attachment point up to maintain the correct angles needed with a lift and 37's.

Ford Bronco Witnessed the infamous TIE ROD SNAP! 20220905_130855
The 5" RC knuckles do move the steering arm up.

ezapar

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak LUX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

"The real fix is to lift it properly."

Love it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shoresy

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land cruiser, focus st
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put the JKS sleeves on my Badlands with 35s (no lift yet). Plan to install a perch collar level this winter.

just ordered a couple inner rods, boots, and clamps from Sunrise Ford (half the price as my local ford dealer).

MB3Z-3280-A

Ford Bronco Witnessed the infamous TIE ROD SNAP! 754E1A05-B6C2-4E79-B8F0-FE7C7E7CC4CF

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Glad you guys are so positive because main point I got from Von's talk was " The bottom line is the bronco's were not designed for 37s in this type of environment". I believe he was even wheeling on 35s on his rig in this video.

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, on pain medication for an arm injury. :ROFLMAO: Brain is a little scrambled still.

Yes the INNER broke at the jam nut where it meets the outer tie rod.

Also, make sure you don't damage the steering boot during the tie rod change. The boots cost more than the tie rod itself!
The boot is much cheaper if you just buy it in a kit, like @flip has available on his website. The price difference between the kit that includes the boot and clamps and just the tie rod itself is about $6.

Ruxer Ford Lincoln
Jasper, IN
www.ruxerparts.com

Option 1: Inner Tie Rod Kit - Ford (MB3Z-3280-A)

Ford Bronco Witnessed the infamous TIE ROD SNAP! Inner Tie Rod Kit MB3Z-3280-A

Note: Discount price is available to Bronco6G members who create an account and then let Phil know their forum UserID.

Option 2: Inner Tie Rod - Ford (MB3Z-3280-B)

Ford Bronco Witnessed the infamous TIE ROD SNAP! Inner Tie Rod MB3Z-3280-B
Sponsored

Last edited: