First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I will never ride around with jumper cables again. I've been using NOCO's power boost for years along with the adaptor cables that I attach to the battery and leave on forever. Nothing is easier.

EDIT for clarification: I leave the extension cable on forever, as it has a cap to protect it from water, dirt and mud. I do not leave the Boost plugged in. The cable just makes life easier, especially if you have a car that the battery terminals are hard to get to. It does away with the need for the alligator clamps (unless you are jumping someone else - so I still have those in the case).
I keep the case with the boost inside - usually under the seat but it gets moved around.
End of edit.

The adaptor plugs right into the jump box. That black adaptor plug piece is for a trickle charge that they also make.

I've also created other connectors to make it plug and play with an air compressor so I never have to use the allegator clips, at least on my vehicles, I carry the clips in case I have to jump someone else.

Edit again: By this I mean, I spliced plug connectors to my compressor so I can plug it into the extension cables hanging from the battery terminals, again so I don't have to use the clamps.
End of second edit.

The point is, these things are life saviors and you don't need anyone else to jump you. As far as the Wolfbox, I would think it works, but I've only owned NOCOs and have bought several others for people in my life and will swear by them.
Pics from Amazon.

Ford Bronco WOLFBOX MegaVolt24 4000A Jump Starter! noco cables
Ford Bronco WOLFBOX MegaVolt24 4000A Jump Starter! noco powerboost
Sponsored

Last edited:

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm skeptical of this because of the 4000A claim. I've learned to avoid any product where hyperbole is part of the marketing. They'd be more believable if they claimed 1000A.

While it may be true if the battery was shorted across the terminals, why is that number important? Most automotive starters draw between 125 amps (for a four cylinder) to 200 amps (for a large V8).

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/starter-current-draw-test.html

Their website says it has a 24000mAh battery. Almost all of these products give the capacity in mAh instead of Ah, the way automotive batteries are normally described. Why? Because people are impressed by big numbers. 24000 mAh is 24 Ah.

For perspective the batteries in our Broncos are 80 Ah or 80,000mAh, 880CCA batteries. CCA is a cold temperature rating. Most portable jump starters are rated for room temperature. They're Lithium based and don't work as well at cold temperatures as lead-acid batteries.

Wolfbox doesn't tell what battery technology they use. Is it lithium polymer (LiPo) or lithium ion (Li-ion)? Both type batteries are more prone to thermal runaway. Hence they have been known to catch fire. They also need special chemicals to put them out when they catch fire.

Is it lithium iron phosphate, (LiFePO4)? LiFePO4 batteries last longer and have excellent thermal stability. They're less prone to thermal runaway than the other two. Also LiFePO4 are good for up to 5000 cycles when new. They can be discharged further without damage. Dakota Lithium only sells LiFePO4 batteries.

Costco is selling this Michelin portable jump starter for $84.99 on their website and $79.99 at my local Costco. It's $118 on Amazon.

https://www.costco.com/michelin-portable-jump-starter-and-10,000mah-lifepo4-power-bank.product.4000204846.html

They claim 500A peak, a much more reasonable claim. If a modern engine is in good tune, it doesn't need much capacity. That's the only reason portable jump starters are feasible.

<edit> I was at Costco today and looked at it again, it's also UL listed.

It also has a lithium iron phosphate battery, LiFePO4. That's the same technology you'll see in 12V backup systems for RVs.

https://dakotalithium.com/2023/12/08/lifepo4-vs-lithium-ion-batteries-best-battery-density/

https://www.dnkpower.com/which-one-is-best-lifepo4-or-li-ion-or-li-poļ¼Ÿ/

I don't have a jump starter. I will not buy one that doesn't give the battery chemistry. I will only buy one with LiFePO4 batteries. Also the marketing materials won't make extreme claims.

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Donā€™t think we have to speculate on that one lol.

Curious about this though as one of my Nocoā€™s just died.
Noco has an incredible warranty. Sent me a new one and received it in days.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Noco has an incredible warranty. Sent me a new one and received it in days.
Mine is older so apparently the best they could do was 20% off a new one on their site.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I donā€™t know what type/brand but when my Cpac drained my battery my nephew had one of these little ā€œjumpersā€ and got me startedā€¦so Bought one at Costco to haul aroundā€¦never used it, yetā€¦

Sponsored

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have an excellent pair of jumper cables that were made back in the 1970s. They're copper wire with copper jaws in the clamps. I haven't used them in over 20 years.

They weigh more and take up more space than the available jump starters. Also they require another vehicle.

I'll definitely be getting a jump starter. Lighter, takes up less room, don't need another vehicle, less likely to have electrical damage when jump starting, what's not to like?

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will never ride around with jumper cables again. I've been using NOCO's power boost for years along with the adaptor cables that I attach to the battery and leave on forever. Nothing is easier.
The adaptor plugs right into the jump box. That black adaptor plug piece is for a trickle charge that they also make.

I've also created other connectors to make it plug and play with an air compressor so I never have to use the allegator clips, at least on my vehicles, I carry the clips in case I have to jump someone else.

The point is, these things are life saviors and you don't need anyone else to jump you. As far as the Wolfbox, I would think it works, but I've only owned NOCOs and have bought several others for people in my life and will swear by them.
Pics from Amazon.

The listing on Amazon shows it jump starting a Bronco, so itā€™s a must have.

OP
OP
Daniela at 3W Auto Life

Daniela at 3W Auto Life

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a person with a masters degree in electrical engineering and over 40 years of experience I have to comment on this advertisement. According to the ad the jump box provides 4000 amps of power. Then the pics show 8 AWG wires. That size wire has a max current of 55 amps per NEC. 4000 amps would smoke that wire almost instantly. That is besides the idea that you could generate that much power in a battery that small which I also find very hard to believe. Assuming it has a LiPo battery it would probably be limited to something in the dozens of amps before overheating and damaging the battery. Just my 2 cents.
Probably nice as a power pack for charging phones and drones, etc but I wouldn't count on it to jumpstart a diesel motor in the dead of winter.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Please allow me to make an explanation of our product. The peak current in a jump starter represents the maximum power it can discharge initially for a short period, ensuring sufficient power to boost discharged batteries. The WOLFBOX jump starter, featuring an instantaneous current of 4000A, releases a substantial amount of power rapidly. This high current output is crucial for jump-starting vehicles with dead batteries by providing a strong impulse to kick-start the engine.šŸ»

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi, thanks for your reply. Please allow me to make an explanation of our product. The peak current in a jump starter represents the maximum power it can discharge initially for a short period, ensuring sufficient power to boost discharged batteries. The WOLFBOX jump starter, featuring an instantaneous current of 4000A, releases a substantial amount of power rapidly. This high current output is crucial for jump-starting vehicles with dead batteries by providing a strong impulse to kick-start the engine.šŸ»
The jump starter can't release any more current than the starter's impedance allows. Basic Ohm's law. So it doesn't matter what peak rating a battery has. The starter impedance would have to be 0.003 ohms before the battery could release 4000A. Battery cables have more resistance.

Depending on a starter's impedance it would take 270 volts or more to force 4000A through a starter.

Ohm's law... V=I*R or I=V/R or R=V/I
E=voltage in volts
I=current in amps
R=resistance or impedance in ohms

Last edited:

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thinking a bit more. You could be trying to describe the effects of a battery's internal resistance. In which case the 4000A rating would mean your jump starter's internal resistance is 0.003 ohms which would be a very good rating and is believable. But that has little to no effect on "instantaneous" current into the starter. The rest of the starting circuit (cables, starter, clamps) is at least twenty times greater.

Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As a person with a masters degree in electrical engineering and over 40 years of experience I have to comment on this advertisement. According to the ad the jump box provides 4000 amps of power. Then the pics show 8 AWG wires. That size wire has a max current of 55 amps per NEC. 4000 amps would smoke that wire almost instantly. That is besides the idea that you could generate that much power in a battery that small which I also find very hard to believe. Assuming it has a LiPo battery it would probably be limited to something in the dozens of amps before overheating and damaging the battery. Just my 2 cents.
Probably nice as a power pack for charging phones and drones, etc but I wouldn't count on it to jumpstart a diesel motor in the dead of winter.
I recently had to return a Wolfbox mirror. When I installed it exactly as shown in their video, it affected all of the vehicle sensors.

Hunterwjusmc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thinking a bit more. You could be trying to describe the effects of a battery's internal resistance. In which case the 4000A rating would mean your jump starter's internal resistance is 0.003 ohms which would be a very good rating and is believable. But that has little to no effect on "instantaneous" current into the starter. The rest of the starting circuit (cables, starter, clamps) is at least twenty times greater.
Agreed... good point

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pics from Amazon.

I purchased a Noco power boost last year. The pivotal moment for me was when I had asked a neighbour for a longer set of jumper cables (due to another neighbours vehicle being dead, in a garage, facing away from the garage door) and mine couldn't reach. He handed me a battery booster, similar to this. Although it was a small car, I was amazed how quick, easy and "idiot proof" these are to use. I bought one later that same week, and have used it on others vehicles a couple of times.

The only time it didn't work was with a big diesel truck, earlier this week. I wasn't really thinking, and realized after that it wasn't powerful enough for that big vehicle. But for most cars, SUV's, and trucks this would be perfectly fine. Money well spent if I can help others.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got one of the GooLoo Amazon ones for Christmas a couple of years back.
Thought it was a cool and thoughtful gift, put in the cargo area of the Bronco, didn't give it a 2nd thought. But knew it was there for "if needed".
And like a dummy, never charged it.
Just 3 months later we went on a quick trip to the beach and the next morning a stranger in the hotel parking lot had a dead battery.
Grabbed the GooLoo, hooked it up, and instantaneous happy other-vehicle owner.
Good-Karma feeling for me.
I was surprised and impressed it had a charge right out of the pack that held for however long it was on a shelf and 3 more months in the cargo tray.
Since then I've kept it charged and ready, had to use it multiple times for others now.
Whether it be this one on the thread or whatever, they are well worth the cost.
Just get a decent one, whether it be this one or GooLoo or whatever.

Alanp970

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4 Door Base Sasquatch Hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a Yesper (love these names!) 12/24 volt jumper pack. I manage an equipment fleet for a construction company. It will effortlessly start a C13 CAT engine (12.5 liters) Everyone who uses this thing initially laughs because ā€œThereā€™s no way something this small could possibly start that big engine right?ā€ Wrong. Amazes me every time we need to use it. The biggest limitation with most jump starter packs is that if your battery is completely dead thereā€™s not enough voltage for it to decide if itā€™s connected correctly. NOCO (and a few others) has a feature that lets you bypass the safety system and trusts youā€™ve connected it correctly. I wish they all had that
Sponsored