First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are these from CJ Pony Parts? Do you flat tow with them?
Yes, they are from CJ Pony. Link above I think. They are manufactured by Ford and come with the modular bumper. I’ve flat towed over 7700 miles so far.
Sponsored

PhillyGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150 SuperCrew Platinum, 2018 BMW X3 M40i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are these from CJ Pony Parts? Do you flat tow with them?
I used Blue Ox parts as they fit the tow bar perfectly.

BroncoFrogs

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Trying to understand if this is an answer, as I have yet to see anyone answer the question or I'm confused. So looking for the following:
For 2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak:
What do you need to flat tow when your Wildtrak has a capable bumper.
I personally purchased and have yet to install because there are so many no finished answers to the install process or what equipment to use that I'm thoroughly confused. Fear is to brick a vehicle behind my tow rig rendering my life ended! :)
Equipment sitting in the back of my Bronco:
Blue Ox BRK2505 Patriot Breakaway Swith
Blue Ox BX2692 Custom Tow Bar Base Plate Bracket
Blue Ox BX7420 Class IV 10k lb tow bar with safety cable
Blue Ox BRK2019 Patriot 3 Brake System
Blue OX BX88308 Accessory kit (which looks like a dupe of what I have below as far as wiring)
Blue Ox BX8848 4 diodes tail light wiring kit
Blue ox BX88206 coiled cable with female receptor

Question now is, I've read that this works for my Bronco, have zero install info or videos, and also have concerns about losing my front recovery points. (Going to assume those are gone if I flat tow). Any help would be appreciated. Do I leave it in the hands of a Blue Ox certified installer to do all this work? The ford dealer said, "Oh we do these things onf F150", well this is not an F150, so that scared me. Thoughts? I I should return all parts and start over, I'm okay with that too, just want answers.

BroncoFrogs

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the post Tony. Am trying to answer the very same question now with my new 2023 Ford Bronco. Your installation looks nice. Am researching the Blue Ox products now. I trust you're still happy with your installation...
I finally broke and had JC's Customs in Winter Haven, FL do my install. They installed
BX7420 - Tow bars
BX2692-Baseplate for Standard Bumper with D rings
BX8848- Tail light wiring kit, diode
Demco stay and play Duo with Wireless coach link
BX88206- BLUE OX 7TO6 WAY HARNESS
Blue ox Wiring harness
Blue ox break away
Roadmaster charge line

I have yet to haul it behind the RV. Thats the set up though. My next question also would be can I use the tabs on the baseplate and put a 3/4 inch shackle through there for recovery purposes. Guy at the shop said yes, shouldn't be an issue as its attached to frame, however, there are welds. I would also think that Blue Ox could create something like the tow pins that go in there where you could install a shackle. Once we tow I will update, but thats my set up. I returned all the stuff I had purchased earlier. :)

2024-04-13_13-14-40.jpg

2024-04-13_13-15-53.jpg

2024-04-13_13-15-03.jpg

2024-04-13_13-15-33.jpg

2024-04-13_13-14-45.jpg

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I finally broke and had JC's Customs in Winter Haven, FL do my install. They installed
BX7420 - Tow bars
BX2692-Baseplate for Standard Bumper with D rings
BX8848- Tail light wiring kit, diode
Demco stay and play Duo with Wireless coach link
BX88206- BLUE OX 7TO6 WAY HARNESS
Blue ox Wiring harness
Blue ox break away
Roadmaster charge line

I have yet to haul it behind the RV. Thats the set up though. My next question also would be can I use the tabs on the baseplate and put a 3/4 inch shackle through there for recovery purposes. Guy at the shop said yes, shouldn't be an issue as its attached to frame, however, there are welds. I would also think that Blue Ox could create something like the tow pins that go in there where you could install a shackle. Once we tow I will update, but thats my set up. I returned all the stuff I had purchased earlier. :)

Ford Bronco Flat Towing W/ Capable Bumper 2024-04-13_13-14-45

Install looks great. Had some similar thoughts about rescue maneuvers using the blue ox rig. Was thinking I might install the inserts that came with the base plate fixtures, and buy the mating parts from the towbar and attach to some form of soft shackle (believe I've seen these on sale on the internet).

One comment - you may want to buy a couple more of those plastic plugs... I had one fall out last winter. I came up with the expansion pipe plugs shown in the picture. Had to sand the rubber down to fit, and they're a little bit of a pain to install, but they stay put. Will revert to the plastic plugs when we're traveling as they're more convenient.
Ford Bronco Flat Towing W/ Capable Bumper IMG_5585.JPG

Sponsored

BroncoFrogs

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Install looks great. Had some similar thoughts about rescue maneuvers using the blue ox rig. Was thinking I might install the inserts that came with the base plate fixtures, and buy the mating parts from the towbar and attach to some form of soft shackle (believe I've seen these on sale on the internet).

One comment - you may want to buy a couple more of those plastic plugs... I had one fall out last winter. I came up with the expansion pipe plugs shown in the picture. Had to sand the rubber down to fit, and they're a little bit of a pain to install, but they stay put. Will revert to the plastic plugs when we're traveling as they're more convenient.
Ford Bronco Flat Towing W/ Capable Bumper IMG_5585.JPG
Good idea on the plugs, was thinking that same thing about the plastic. Where did you get the rubber plug with wing nut or did you make them yourself with a washer and bolt?

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

BroncoFrogs

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hooked everything up tonight. Put everything in nuetral tow mode... and a note- remove the keys from the vehicle. It kept lights and so forth on. Fired up the RV, and plugged in reciever. Looked good. Turned on blinker and the Demco duo was pulsing the break up and down and you could hear the cylinder pumping up and down. Anyway.... took everything back apart. Read that I may have to adjust the demco box under steering wheel to be less sensitive. Will try again tomorrow.

Just documenting for folks as I know there is not a lot of Bronco info out there for folks when it comes to flat towing. Hope it helps

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hooked everything up tonight. Put everything in nuetral tow mode... and a note- remove the keys from the vehicle. It kept lights and so forth on. Fired up the RV, and plugged in reciever. Looked good. Turned on blinker and the Demco duo was pulsing the break up and down and you could hear the cylinder pumping up and down. Anyway.... took everything back apart. Read that I may have to adjust the demco box under steering wheel to be less sensitive. Will try again tomorrow.

Just documenting for folks as I know there is not a lot of Bronco info out there for folks when it comes to flat towing. Hope it helps
Thanks for the update and good luck with your adjustments.
Brian

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For those equipped with the HD Modular Bumper.

Blue Ox Base Plate BX2692 (Replaced previous model BX2688)
Blue Ox 10k Avail tow bar BX7420 (2" receiver)
Blue Ox Towing Accessory kit BX88308
Stay-In-Play Duo Brake System perm. mount. Main control unit mounted under hood, switch mounted left rear inside.

Hope that helps!

Bronco Flat tow.jpg
Bronco Flat tow 2.jpg
Bronco Flat tow 3.jpg
Did you install this yourself? I'm curious to know how much it would cost for the install labor.

Sponsored

PhillyGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you install this yourself? I'm curious to know how much it would cost for the install labor.
I did not install myself -- had it done at a local shop near me. The installation and setup cost about $1,500. Well worth it in my opinion as I thought it would be too much for me to do. I'm very pleased with it and unless you're an upfitter or very good with cars and electronics, I'd suggest getting a professional installation.

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did not install myself -- had it done at a local shop near me. The installation and setup cost about $1,500. Well worth it in my opinion as I thought it would be too much for me to do. I'm very pleased with it and unless you're an upfitter or very good with cars and electronics, I'd suggest getting a professional installation.
That price seems reasonable, thank you!

BroncoFrogs

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@PhillyGuy any reason you mounted the G Force Controller unit in the back of the Bronco? Reason I ask, is currently having issues with installer. Took it back and they replaced the diodes, but apparently didn't check the other item I asked them to check which was the G Force Controller wich was held on by one screw and some velcro on a flimsy panel left of brake pedal, forward where speaker is mounted. Hooked it up again, and of course once blinkers were engaged brake actuator went crazy, did a manual adjustment, got it to stop, but if i tap the G Force until, it actuates the cylinder. Adjusted a bit more(upward), then went back to RV, shut off blinker hit brake and light on brake notification(in cab) doesn't show brake engaging. I have assumptions that this mounted where it is (in my application) under dash, left of brake, forward speaker(on 23 Wildtrak), and not mounted solid is causing some issues. I have fears of this thing moving and locking brakes down on the highway at 60 mph, and or if I flip the blinker, it will lock up the brakes. Adjustments can't be so sensitive that it doesn't actuate the brake so I'm at a loss. Long story short, Demco recommended it be mounted in my location(I think), but you have yours in the rear of the vehicle. Thoughts? and Again, documenting for those installers and owners that will or are struggling with this system.

PhillyGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We ended up placing it there for two reasons: 1) there was not a good spot in the left front foot well and 2) had great access for all the wiring and would not get accidently bumped.

Agree the G Force Controller has a hair trigger. The installer set it based on the weight of my bronco loaded (i.e. Kyacks and ebikes). Not sure how he did it, but it's perfect - not too annoying in stop and go traffic and works great in emergency braking situations.

The picture I posted shows the position -- you should be able to blow up the picture to get the setting. Additionally, make sure the air actuator on the unit is plugged and not leaking.

BroncoFrogs

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We ended up placing it there for two reasons: 1) there was not a good spot in the left front foot well and 2) had great access for all the wiring and would not get accidently bumped.

Agree the G Force Controller has a hair trigger. The installer set it based on the weight of my bronco loaded (i.e. Kyacks and ebikes). Not sure how he did it, but it's perfect - not too annoying in stop and go traffic and works great in emergency braking situations.

The picture I posted shows the position -- you should be able to blow up the picture to get the setting. Additionally, make sure the air actuator on the unit is plugged and not leaking.
So the box under hood, the plastic pipe sticking out, you are saying to block that off?
Sponsored