First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As the title says, I finally received my Injen hot and cold charge pipes. When I purchased my CAI from Injen, I was told they would be doing an intercooler and charge pipes for the Bronco. The mock they had at Seema were chrome charge pipes that looked nice. The released pipes are either wrinkle black or wrinkle red. I picked the wrinkle red, as I wanted to add some colour and splash to my engine bay. I do attend quite a few car shows, and I always raise the hood.

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704645639199

The package came very well-boxed, all the pipes were individually wrapped and secured. The couplers and bands were in a separate bag, also neatly packed. As with most companies, you received a sheet with the web address to download the instructions in PDF format. I grabbed the instructions and printed them out. It is nice and cool in S. FL now, so a great day to do the installation. It was very overcast, and a chance of rain, so out came Akira (Shelby), and in went Jessabelle. Glad I did this because you know it started raining while I was doing the install.

So a few things about the pipes. They are very well made, and I was somewhat surprised by just how well. Yes, they let EVERYONE know it's a Injen product with their logo on it, but I feel it did not look tacky, plus I have no issues with a vendor advertising their product name. The charge pipes, like the CAI, go all the way to the turbos. They are also larger in diameter. So great flow will be the result. Injen on their site advertised 11.6 HP and 12.0 TQ gains with just the pipe installation. I did plan to get to a dyno, but unfortunately that fell through.

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704646415828

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704646432477

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704646835733

Below is the comparison of the Hot side pipe from the OEM, and Injens. I picked this pipe because it is one of the larger for the OEM. Even with this, you can see that the Injen pipe is a larger diameter, and does not neck down as the OEM pipe does. The secondary hot side pipes are even more restricted compared to the Injen pipes.

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704646587288

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704646609763

Another part I was impressed with was the intercooler couplers. Billet made, very robust. When removing the OEM, you had to take the clamp from it and the rubber gasket inside and transplant it to the Injen coupler.

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704646889870

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704646933723

Now to the fun part. Overall I would say the installation is not bad. Injen says 3 wreches which means moderate installation, and you need some mechanical knowledge. Ok. I have that covered. The true issue to this install is REMOVING the OEM product. Now I will admit, it may have been a bit tougher for me because I have the Injen CAI. Knowing what a pita it was to install, I was in no way trying to remove a lot of it to put on the charge the pipes. So that being said, I did take some liberties. Also, the instruction was written for someone with OEM setup, so again, it did not follow the flow as if you had their CAI already installed.

The pain points.
1. Removing the skid plate from the badlands (Which is surprisingly thick and heavy) by yourself is doable. Putting it back on the floor by yourself is challenging. Be prepared to use legs arms and anything else you can think of to hold it in place. Now that I think on this, I should have kept it steady with my race floor jack on a plate while I bolted it in.

2. The Cold OEM charge pipe was a MAJOR pain point. Now again, it may have been easier with the OEM, as it is one pipe and the instruction said to decouple and remove. Not so for the Injen,. The pipe that goes to the filter box is a junction pipe. It has a hump coupler in the middle. So I had to remove it, then get one side of the pipe up and away, and the other down and away so I could reach a BOLT Ford decided to put on the cold side pipe to stop it from moving I guess? The hard thing about this was it was behind several other hoses, hard to see, and the space I had, even with the pipe out the way was small. Real small. and I have very large hands. Also you had to get a socket on the front, which was a 5/32, and a 10mm wrench on the back. Yeap, if you did not, the bolt would just spin. Getting this off is what held up my installation.

3. Getting the OEM cold pipe out of position. Its all one piece. Until you can get to where the rubber is coupled. So trying to get it up to where you can get to the coupler and remove it requires you to solve the puzzle of the engine bay and move and twist until you can finally remove the rubber 90 and then push it out through the bottom and get the other part out through the top.

After these issues, the installation goes pretty well. I did not have any issues with the new couplers on the intercooler, again had to play big hands in small places to get some couplers tightened, but having a Milwaukee power ratchet helps a lot! Also as with all installations pack your patience. So all in all not so bad. I still say the CAI was much worse.

Taking it for a test drive later that night some things I did notice. Boost came on faster. No turbo lag. Boost came on harder. It seemed to boost more when I punched it. In sport mode though, it seemed more efficient. I noticed doing normal style driving boost did not seem to kick in nearly as much, but power was being delivered.? Yeah I know it sounds strange. Maybe the Ford tune was adjusting for the more efficient flow? Still need to do some testing on that. I have to say it is fun and felt good. I do not have a draggy or any devices to test 0-60, but I plan to borrow one. With all the mods working together, I will say my Bronco feels like it is not working as hard to do the normal things. Also, it feels like when you hit the pedal, she will go, and go hard. An older V6 Mustang found that out while I was testing her lol. What's next? Probably be the Injen intercooler when it is released later in Q1.

Overall I am pleased with the product and I feel it is well done. I would say even if you do not have the CAI, it may be worth it to you to give the charge pipes a look.

Cold pipe.

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704648409333

Hot pipe to the passengers side.

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704648485998

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704648510644

Install completed.

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704648571251

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704648609366

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704648643790
Sponsored

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Looks nice and clean...does that Y pipe come in wrinkled red too, or is that only available in that wrinkled silver color?

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It only comes in the silver from what I have seen.

Last edited:

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As the title says, I finally received my Injen hot and cold charge pipes. When I purchased my CAI from Injen, I was told they would be doing an intercooler and charge pipes for the Bronco. The mock they had at Seema were chrome charge pipes that looked nice. The released pipes are either wrinkle black or wrinkle red. I picked the wrinkle red, as I wanted to add some colour and splash to my engine bay. I do attend quite a few car shows, and I always raise the hood.

Now to the fun part. Overall I would say the installation is not bad. Injen says 3 wreches which means moderate installation, and you need some mechanical knowledge. Ok. I have that covered. The true issue to this install is REMOVING the OEM product. Now I will admit, it may have been a bit tougher for me because I have the Injen CAI. Knowing what a pita it was to install, I was in no way trying to remove a lot of it to put on the charge the pipes. So that being said, I did take some liberties. Also, the instruction was written for someone with OEM setup, so again, it did not follow the flow as if you had their CAI already installed.
Question on the CAI. I use the Grimm mount for the ARB twin compressor. I'm worried it might take up too much from for a new air box. What is the distance from the first body painted T bolt to the back of your CAI. I'm at 13 inches to the compressor...

IMG_20240107_123658.jpg

IMG_20240107_123712.jpg

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question on the CAI. I use the Grimm mount for the ARB twin compressor. I'm worried it might take up too much from for a new air box. What is the distance from the first body painted T bolt to the back of your CAI. I'm at 13 inches to the compressor...

IMG_20240107_123658.jpg

IMG_20240107_123712.jpg
I believe it will not fit. There is a member in our Miami Dade Bronco group who was speaking on this. He has the ARB and he asked if the charge pipes work with the OEM setup or the Roush because the Injen would not fit next to his mount.

I would agree, because the Injen air filter mount is not squared, more like a trapezoid.

Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe it will not fit. There is a member in our Miami Dade Bronco group who was speaking on this. He has the ARB and he asked if the charge pipes work with the OEM setup or the Roush because the Injen would not fit next to his mount.

I would agree, because the Injen air filter mount is not squared, more like a trapezoid.
I may just have to keep OEM box with K&N filter. Injen does with with OEM box right, or do you need to have the Injen box?

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You will need to use the Injen Box unless you mod the OEM box. I honestly believe you can do that. The Injen box has a giant circle that the hot side splits and goes into the lower side of the passenger turbo. If you were to widen or cut the same size into the OEM box, it would work the same.

Now what you would lose is the Injen bigger opening for the fresh air, but I think it would not be a bad compromise to make it all work together.

Here is a pic.

Ford Bronco Injen Charge Pipes installed on 2.7 with Injen CAI 1704657709992

The pipe next to the filter box is the one I am speaking on. The filter attaches to that. Now that I am looking at it again, I am not sure if the filter would fit in the OEM box, but I would think there is an aftermarket filter that could fit.

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, your butt-dyno tells you that you can feel the pipes in Sport mode, but not so much in Normal mode?

TireFlate

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tireflate.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the InJen air intake and the Grimm bracket. It will not fit as is, however I drilled new holes in the Grimm bracket, and it does fit. A real pain getting the bolts in though.

TireFlate

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tireflate.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the InJen air intake and the Grimm bracket. It will not fit as is, however I drilled new holes in the Grimm bracket, and it does fit. A real pain getting the bolts in though.
IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0352.png

IMG_0353.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
YOu can feel it in Normal mode as well. It just seems to hit harder in sport mode. I feel that is Ford tune at work.

B_Dominant

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FORD BRONCO SASQUATCH
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Did they officially confirm that they will be releasing an intercooler? I bought their CAI and asked when snorkels will be available and they said end of Q4 2023..

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did they officially confirm that they will be releasing an intercooler? I bought their CAI and asked when snorkels will be available and they said end of Q4 2023..
The rep I deal with emailed and told me when it is being planned released. He said Q1 of 2024. I'll be waiting and see. I do have faith in the information as I was told when the charge pipes would be available, and they came right on schedule.

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks awesome man! I’m on the fence about grabbing these, but I’m thinking I may wait until CVF releases theirs. They should be less expensive. Anyway, would love to see some Dragy runs with this beast.

Also, sucks the dyno run fell through…

OverlandingPastor

Heritage
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Love these @Ninjak! I know you've been waiting on them. I'm really hoping Injen gets the CAI throwing codes worked out soon. I would love to install the CAI and these charge pipes at same time. Seems like it would simplify the install a bit.
Sponsored