redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

"Swingarm" thats what it was called! Can't believe it took 8 beers and a pizza to remember! Makes alot of sense for what they do! Like I said main advantage was smooth ride on rough stuff!. Note the MONSTEROUS shocks they use tho...trying to overcome that mechanical disadvantage that that setup puts the shock in!

Last year I believed Slawson said last year he was using 4.0 Kings. Coilovers and Bypass. 😁

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some more footage, looks like the shocks are still mounted to low.

yeah, it looks like only ~12" of clearance under those mounts... \s

Ford should have tucked them closer to the tire, but at least they are not as bad as previous generation Colorado; spaced half way between the pumpkin and the tire...

stronger/boxed mounts should take care of the few times you can't maneuver your tire on top or around a boulder.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They only fit broncos with tibus portals, and should come free with tibus portals.
do the tibus portals have a unique bolt pattern not compatible with standard bronco wheels?

does 'should' mean they don't come free with the tibus portals?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

do the tibus portals have a unique bolt pattern not compatible with standard bronco wheels?

does 'should' mean they don't come free with the tibus portals?
They are a custom offset designed to work with the Tibus Portals.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have toyed with the idea to use some "truck arms" to replace the LCA mount and the coilover mount on the diff and making them one. Then you can move the front of the LCA mount, on the frame side, to outside the frame, flush with the bottom of it.

https://barnes4wd.com/products/diy-36-single-shock-trailing-arm-kit

Ford Bronco 74Weld Bronco Portals now available! IMG_8167-1920w
Getting rid of those rock anchor LCA frame brackets is almost exciting as the idea of portals. I've never gotten around to modeling the geometry of it but I've even wondered if you could just cut a hole in the bottom of the frame and mount a narrow Johnny joint or similar within the boxed frame. The frame is fairly wide and stout so maybe?

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

$20k lol no.

You could literally break you suspension multiple times a year off-road and not drop that coin.
That is fair... but I would argue that you will be on the trail multiple times fixing sh!t.... and after How many times you have spent the same amount.

The better question here is not budget.... Because each and every one of us has a different budget. Hell most people can not find it in their budget to buy a Bronco in the first place....

So... Lets say you had 30,000 to spend on your bronco. How would you spend it?

I can tell you if I was bombing the dessert I would be going after a long arm suspension.... I don't know the exact specs because that is not what I have been researching for the last 3 years. But that is definitely the way I would go.

But that is not how I like to 4x4.... I do some rock crawling but mostly trail running. Spring run offs always create new challenges on almost every trail. So I value clearance, approach angle, break over and departure angle. Articulation is important and I would like to maximize it but even more importantly I would like to maximize clearance for the trails I run.

So do you know of a way I can accomplish that better than portals and a rack?

If I was staying on road... I would not buy a Bronco. Many better choices to serve that purpose.

Last edited:

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Getting rid of those rock anchor LCA frame brackets is almost exciting as the idea of portals. I've never gotten around to modeling the geometry of it but I've even wondered if you could just cut a hole in the bottom of the frame and mount a narrow Johnny joint or similar within the boxed frame. The frame is fairly wide and stout so maybe?
If you're going that far, you might as well go a double triangulated 4 Link, Then you tuck the lowers up inside the whole frame, and also get rid of the Trackbar/Panhard

But then you're also back to dealing with where to mount the coilovers...

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

$30k better include a Dana 60 with RCV axles
I understand where you are going with that.... and I think it is a good argument. But that actually gets me less clearance. The Dana 60 is stouter but it is bigger and drops lower.... Okay it will hold up better when I bang it around. I think the 44 will hold up fine if I am regearing downstream of it....

I may have to go with the RCVs in the front.... Time will tell. I really think that is the next concern for me. I am regearing down stream of those front axles but of the 220 vs 210.... I think the 210 with that IFS is probably the weaker link. Your 190 went while your 220 seems fine. I really do not think the 210 is that much more... I think it is a little bit more stout but how much more????? And then to put a big tire on it.... I think the downstream regear will help keep some of the leverage off of that but will it be enough? I do not know.

But your argument is to upgrade that in place of the portals is that not correct? Again.... where is my improved clearance? Yes I have relied on my plates many a time.... but my point is that I do not want to have to do that if I have a choice. I can high point.... I could do that again... but what if I did not have to.

It just opens up a lot of new line options.
Sponsored

Last edited: