Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the collar lock out has to be up to get into crawler or reverse, not just left and right, but up and down, it sounds like your collar lockout is just not adjusted correctly for you to open the latch when you operate it.
It only has to be up to get into reverse. You can get into crawler without the collar, which may be causing the confusion.
Sponsored

OP
OP

wxguy

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks, but that's not the problem. The collar lockout works fine. There's something getting in the way of engaging reverse on occasion, once already into the left gate (R/C).

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It only has to be up to get into reverse. You can get into crawler without the collar, which may be causing the confusion.
Man, you've got me questioning myself, but I really think I need to raise the collar for both crawl and reverse on mine.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man, you've got me questioning myself, but I really think I need to raise the collar for both crawl and reverse on mine.
Go to the 1:00 minute mark of this video coincidently published today by @Ourbroncolife:

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go to the 1:00 minute mark of this video coincidently published today by @Ourbroncolife:

I don't get it - you still need the collar to get over to crawler and reverse (1:30 and 3:46). Just because you can let it go once there, and slide down, doesn't mean you don't need the collar.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't get it - you still need the collar to get over to crawler and reverse (1:30 and 3:46). Just because you can let it go once there, and slide down, doesn't mean you don't need the collar.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the up and down motion. Yes, you still need the collar to get past the left gate. However, once you are there you do not need it to go down into crawler, but you do to go up into reverse.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't have mine yet, but the Getrag MT in the Bronco is a modified version of the one in the Mustang, with it's associated issues.

The shifter isn't directly connected to the transmission like in a top-loader, it's got a bunch of cables, which is why it feels a little indistinct and sloppy compared to a TREMEC or an old Borg-Warner.

Betting on cable mal-adjustment.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks, but that's not the problem. The collar lockout works fine. There's something getting in the way of engaging reverse on occasion, once already into the left gate (R/C).
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into this for you on my end.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the up and down motion. Yes, you still need the collar to get past the left gate. However, once you are there you do not need it to go down into crawler, but you do to go up into reverse.
I tested this yesterday and I am willing to bet @Catmandu is spot on here. If you do not keep the collar up when attempting to go up into reverse it hits a hard stop. When going into crawler, you do not have to hold the collar up once you get past the left gate.

OP
OP

wxguy

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is not the problem I'm encountering. There's a mechanical defect somewhere that is resolved only by moving the vehicle forward a bit. This is an intermittent problem.

Sponsored
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is not the problem I'm encountering. There's a mechanical defect somewhere that is resolved only by moving the vehicle forward a bit. This is an intermittent problem.
I had a similar issue about 10 mins ago... Shifted into reverse to back into garage (slight uphill in reverse). I made it about 2 inches in reverse and it felt like it came to a hard stop - like an obstacle behind the wheels. I took it out of reverse, let it roll forward (I may have put it in first, can't remember), and then tried again and it worked, but was not as smooth as normal. 10 days new, so had me concerned.
Did you find a fix for yours?

OP
OP

wxguy

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This sounds like a different problem. Mine is with the shift lever itself. Once it goes into gear, things are fine. It still happens to me, about once very ten attempts to shift into reverse. I've not had a chance to talk to my dealer's service department yet.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This sounds like a different problem. Mine is with the shift lever itself. Once it goes into gear, things are fine. It still happens to me, about once very ten attempts to shift into reverse. I've not had a chance to talk to my dealer's service department yet.
Just curious, did you get a resolution on this?

OP
OP

wxguy

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just curious, did you get a resolution on this?
Not yet.... I'm waiting to take it in for its first service (including the windshield recall) and I"ll mention it then. It's just a minor annoyance -- solved by putting it in C or 1 and moving forward a smidge; sometimes shifting into 5 then it will go into R. It's certainly not a syncro issue, but rather a problem with the linkage or cable -- and definitely not the collar.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not yet.... I'm waiting to take it in for its first service (including the windshield recall) and I"ll mention it then. It's just a minor annoyance -- solved by putting it in C or 1 and moving forward a smidge; sometimes shifting into 5 then it will go into R. It's certainly not a syncro issue, but rather a problem with the linkage or cable -- and definitely not the collar.
Have you tried double clutching, push it let it out and push it in again?
Sponsored