First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is my 14th MT vehicle (and I've driven a lot of MT buses and trucks too). Every now and then, my Badlands 7MT won't go into reverse. Pull up on collar, pull left; try to go up and it's like hitting a steel plate. This is different than getting the gear to engage, which is solvable by letting the clutch out in neutral and trying again. The only remedy is to put it in a forward gear and move a bit, then it will "find" reverse. It doesn't happen every time, maybe one in five times. Anyone else?
Sponsored

Classic28

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't have my bronco yet but with my past mt vehicles I had the habit of pushing the clutch in, doing the neutral shake, 1st, 2nd then reverse. Kept the clutch pushed in for the 1st and 2nd. It seemed to help with two hondas I had.

Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does it slot into reverse easier if you gas it a little? Give it a consistent push into gear with the gas when you meet that resistance.

OP
OP

wxguy

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does it slot into reverse easier if you gas it a little? Give it a consistent push into gear with the gas when you meet that resistance.
No -- it's not that type of problem. It's a hard stop, like a metal plate in the way. Not the normal think you and I are used to dealing with. Sounds like something is out of adjustment.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my 14th MT vehicle (and I've driven a lot of MT buses and trucks too). Every now and then, my Badlands 7MT won't go into reverse. Pull up on collar, pull left; try to go up and it's like hitting a steel plate. This is different than getting the gear to engage, which is solvable by letting the clutch out in neutral and trying again. The only remedy is to put it in a forward gear and move a bit, then it will "find" reverse. It doesn't happen every time, maybe one in five times. Anyone else?
When it can’t go into reverse will it go into crawl? There are a couple times when I pulled it left and I was not down far enough.
If it engages left with the collar up it should go into either crawl or reverse.

OP
OP

wxguy

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes, crawl is fine; moving up from there it hits a hard block north of neutral.

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pardon my shitty artwork, all my previous 5MTs have had an issue where at a dead stop they didnt like going into reverse. I would move the shifter into 4th, and then hop over to Reverse. Worked every time.
Perhaps putting it into Crawl or 1st before hopping to Reverse. I know this isnt an ideal practoce for a brand new vehicle, but perhaps a quicker motion to fix this on the way to your dealership.

Screenshot_20220508-113007_Samsung Notes.jpg

Sponsored

hunterg54

Base
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1700 miles so far and never an issue getting into reverse

OP
OP

wxguy

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Like I said in the original post, I've been driving car, truck, and bus manuals since the 1970s. This is not a normal "put it in another gear than reverse to sync it up" problem. There seems to be a defect. I'm asking if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks!

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco manual is cable operated. It's possible for it to be out of adjustment. That you describe resolving it by putting it into 1st, then back into reverse seems indicative of something, though the problem doesn't sound like a reverse syncro problem. It really sounds like an alignment issue on the cable system.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not on my end, although it can be occasionally "crunchy" getting into the R or C gates.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the collar lock out has to be up to get into crawler or reverse, not just left and right, but up and down, it sounds like your collar lockout is just not adjusted correctly for you to open the latch when you operate it.
Sponsored