First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is my 14th MT vehicle (and I've driven a lot of MT buses and trucks too). Every now and then, my Badlands 7MT won't go into reverse. Pull up on collar, pull left; try to go up and it's like hitting a steel plate. This is different than getting the gear to engage, which is solvable by letting the clutch out in neutral and trying again. The only remedy is to put it in a forward gear and move a bit, then it will "find" reverse. It doesn't happen every time, maybe one in five times. Anyone else?
I've got a 2016 Ford Focus ST. I've never had an issue with reverse until I recently had the clutch replaced. Now, every once in while I can't get it into reverse. So, I have to quickly shift into first and then it will go into reverse. It didn't bug me enough (plus it's my sons car now) to take it back to the dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP

wxguy

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass Latitute
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have you tried double clutching, push it let it out and push it in again?
Yes --- I've been driving manuals (both syncrho and non-synchro) for 40+ years. This is a mechanical issue that needs to be repaired. It feels like hitting a hammer against a steel beam, nothing like the feel of a transmission with gears out-of-synch. Will report back when I have a resolution.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When it won't go into reverse push the pedal to the floor and kill the engine. If it then goes into reverse the problem is in the clutch/hydraulics. If it still won't go into reverse the problem is internal. If this were my vehicle and I determined it's internal I would ask for a new transmission rather than have someone who is probably not that familiar with the trans tear it apart. Usually, when a brand new transmission does this you will not find the problem when you take it apart. just sayn.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a habit from way, way back that I never go from neutral to reverse. In the old days on older vehicles you would get a slight grind. The solution is to go to any forward gear first- I usually go into first gear or in the case of my 87 Chevy Pick up 2nd (1st is non syncro), then go into reverse, in one motion. My TJ Jeep Wranglers would make the slight grind from neutral so I would put it in second gear, then go directly to reverse in one motion. I do this on any manual and it almost always goes in and never a grind. In the rare case that it does not, I just put it in first and move the vehicle slightly, then right in reverse.
Sponsored