Sponsored

Instructions on capable bumper removal and replace with modular?

SilverSurfer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What did everyone do with the fog lights on the capable bumper? Was it easy to hook up new fog lights on Mod bumper?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeffz95

Jeffz95

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan NV 4x4 van, 78 911, 08 Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What did everyone do with the fog lights on the capable bumper? Was it easy to hook up new fog lights on Mod bumper?
No where to mount original fog lights. I left the harness there for future but left them mounted on plastic bumper which I need to post and sell.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
For those cutting off the factory Base tow hooks, for something like $70, you can buy the OEM intercooler mounts that don't have the hooks -- a 5-minute swap. It makes for a much cleaner installation. Or buy a JCR Offroad engine skid, which comes with new mounts.

Clint Callahan

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior Edition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you check your Bronco tool kit ? I ordered a set through a auto parts store and was there the next A.M.
I did, and no bueno there. I’ve got one on order

Ryan Feilner

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fyi, if upgrading from a base plastic bumper to a modular and you don't have the steel skid plate to go along with it you'll have to cut up your plastic a good amount to get it to fit with the modular. All the cutting is at the top side where it really can't be seen behind the bottom of the modular bumper.

I cut off the tow rings on my brackets and it was a direct swap otherwise. I also did not have sensors to swap, but the modular bumper had holes for parking sensors so I filled them with rubber grommets.

Here's a Pic of the horseshoes I made.
20220916_145126.jpg
So you’re saying if you have the capable bumper with the steel skid plate and move to the modular bumper the same steel skid plate works for both with no modification needed? Just checking as the plastic needs modified. Appreciate you taking the time to share!

Sponsored

SilverSurfer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond 4dr MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I replaced the capable bumper with a modular bumper and didn't have to touch the steel skid plate.

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Super simple, take off capable bumper, use same bolts in same places to attach modular bumper.
There are a few things that won't fit.

I've already bought the Modular bumper park sensor sleeves for the Modular, but now realize the actual park sensors are different. The 2 Capable sensors on the outer sides won't fit, so I'm going up to the Ford dealer to get those.

Do you know if the adaptive cruise control sensor is good in the same spot as the Capable bumper?

Thanks.

Sponsored

Aliass24

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What’s the weight difference between the two bumpers?

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a few things that won't fit.

I've already bought the Modular bumper park sensor sleeves for the Modular, but now realize the actual park sensors are different. The 2 Capable sensors on the outer sides won't fit, so I'm going up to the Ford dealer to get those.

Do you know if the adaptive cruise control sensor is good in the same spot as the Capable bumper?

Thanks.
Why the heck would Ford use different parking sensors in the bumpers? I get that how they fasten to the bumper may need to be different but why have the BoM issues and additional cost to have different sensors? Makes no sense to me...

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why the heck would Ford use different parking sensors in the bumpers? I get that how they fasten to the bumper may need to be different but why have the BoM issues and additional cost to have different sensors? Makes no sense to me...
The ones I had to buy were about double the price of the other sensors, so probably cost effective to use the cheaper ones where they can. No clue why one was more money.

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did this swap earlier this week and was able to get the capable bumper's wiring harness and sensors installed into the modular with some minor modifications. After driving it the last few days, every so often when coming to a stop, I'll get an alert on my dash saying "parking aid sensor blocked" and then it goes away after 1 second. Barely have time to read it. I've made sure all the sensors are cleaned and even disassembled everything last night to check to see if wires were pinched or a plug wasn't seated properly. I reassembled everything and it did it once on the way to work again this morning.

I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing the issue. I know they're all getting power (click when touched) and they all detect when something's in front of it. It seems to be throwing the alert at random.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm wondering if it's because I stuck with my original sensors and/or sensor holders and they're not quite agreeing with the modular bumper's fitment.
Sponsored