Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2-door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They actually had such a thing. My Sister had a rental back in the 80's. It might have been a Mazda or Mitsubishi. Can't remember for sure. When you got in, the belt moved back in a track above the window.
belt.jpg
Yes! My 1991 Mazda 626 LX has this "feature". Honestly, I don't super hate it. Even thirty years later, mine still work fine (and I even have a full spare set), and it's a fun conversation point about my car. People are kinda shocked when they see it in 2020.

Edit to add to some of the story about why this was a thing. There was a short time, I want to say between 88-92 or so, where manufacturers had to add one safety feature, and it was either airbags or automatic seatbelts. Many opted for the auto belts, because apparently they were cheaper than those very early airbag systems.
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If I end up with the auto steering stuff will definitely drive two hand white knuckled just so I can keep the wheel on straight.

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes that is what I’m telling you. Do you commute on the 405 in rush hour? No one wants to let you over. People will wall you out. You have to play chicken to get over at times.

When you do get in people will try to maneuver to rush around you and cut you off so they are one more car length closer to home. Even though you are already doing 80mph.

I didn’t say I never use my signal. I use it all the time but there are times where you don’t. Also like someone said two lane highways. Also in California motorcycle lane splitting is legal and it is the law that you have to move over and share the lane. If you move over to hug the line the lane keep can jerk you back which is dangerous for the motorcyclist.

I have been driving in LA traffic my whole life. You gotta get in when you can or you are assed out. I also split lanes on my motorcycle. I appreciate the mirror light but I don’t want the nannies to jerk someone back into me.
Smh why am I not surprised people are that petty in LA traffic.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BLISS-don't really use it, but I leave it on. I learned to drive using mirrors and turning my head. I never really notice the little light on the mirror.
Adaptive cruise-use it every day, greatest electronic aid ever invented.
Lane assist-turn off the steering assist on Ford's and just let the steering wheel vibrate. The steering assist isn't strong enough to yank the wheel out of your hands. I just find it disconcerting. The steering wheel vibration is unobtrusive. My Tacoma just beeps, which is nice.
Backup warning-annoys the hell out of me, but I leave it on. It just means I have to look harder when it false alarms; which it does frequently. Every now and then, though, it's right!
Front sensing/braking assist-I leave it in low sensitivity. On high or medium it triggers far too often.
Traction Control-you will rarely even know it's working on modern vehicles. GOAT mode will set it appropriately for the terrain, just like off road modes do on the other Ford's I've owned.
Auto headlamps-I use them. Why wouldn't I? They're awesome, and I'll never be the idiot on the freeway with just my daytime running lights on in the dark.
Auto High beams- I use them on rural roads. I hate them on the freeway. The sensors frequently miss cars on the other side of the divider and it's rude to blind them. They can be toggled easily in the Menu.
Automatic front camera-only on the Tacoma. It's a feature I wish Ford would add, though. The Front camera automatically turns on below 5 mph.
Auto start/stop-actually it's really cool once you get used to it. It can be turned off temporarily on the dash or permanently (I think, I just leave it on) in the menu.

I've been using these nannies for years, not because I'm a bad driver. Although, no one, including me, is as good a driver as they think they are. Anyone who proclaims they are a great driver is best avoided on the road or on the track. My first vehicle with most of these features was a 2010 Taurus SHO. Then a 2014 Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Explorer Sport, 2018 F350 Lariat, 2020 F-150 Platinum (wife's current vehicle) and my current daily driver 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro. All the Ford's restarted in the same nannie configuration the truck was turned off in. Well except for GOAT/Off Road modes, Tow Mode and other transmission mapping modes.

Thanks for that, a lot of good points..: )

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why can't I, a person who takes pride in my driving skill, get a high/lux package without nannies enforcing it's programming on my abilities?

Again, I am not saying the nannies are bad, I am saying they are wasted on me and I would rather not pay for them only to turn them off. Will they stop me from getting the options I want, no but I don't have to like it, which is the whole point of this thread.

The only good thing I can see in any of them, it will help you in re-sell by having them. Just trying to put a positive spin on it, people like them, when you go to sell it in 8-10 years, it'll help.

Sponsored

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We need an intervention about why you refuse to use your turn signals. You're telling me the other drivers turn into a defensive line when you signal? Even flashing your signal briefly can help catch another driver's attention if they're distracted. You're this guy huh

a-russian-turn-signal-25443.gif

Come drive in LA traffic ...Texans are friendly with driving, at least in my experience. In LA it is different, it is totally offensive driving, you show a weakness and it is over. It sounds stupid , but it is competitive driving. If you are trying to change lanes in stop and go traffic, or driving 70 miles an hour, a blinker is your weakness. They will line up like the '78 Bears defensive line....you "ebb and flow"....

The State highways are a bit different, but nobody will get out of the number 1 lane and let you go by, you have to pass on the right...it's just a shitty Ca. driving thing,, (until you get in the rural areas, country folk know how to drive and respect others) you can't really get too upset by it or you'll just end up shooting somebody....you just put on some tunes of your choosing and deal with it till you get home.

I have been working in Stunts in the film business for over twenty years, the scariest and most dangerous thing I do, is driving to work and back home each day.

Last edited:

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I like some of them but there are a few variables. I don't mind Fords approach, but I am not a fan of Honda's. Honda's I feel create additional risk the way the yank the steering wheel when it perceives you have done something wrong. I can handle it when I do something wrong, but the system is not perfect and occasionally it will freak out and slam the brakes, yank the wheel or something crazy. Honda's adaptive cruise really could use some adjustment.

Overall I think they create lazy drivers or at least magnify the lazy ones enabling them to be more lazy. Their intention is good and I support them, but you should always be able to turn them off.
My thoughts exactly, my Acura(which is a glorified Civic) has a tendency to think I'm leaving my lane when in reality I'm in the middle of the lane and try and steer me the wrong way. I will say it has saved my butt once or twice when I've zoned out.

Also agree with the adaptive cruise control, Honda/Acura's closest setting still seems really far away and when it brakes or speeds up, it doesn't do it smoothly. I drove a Volvo V60 wagon for work once and its adaptive cruise was fantastic, so smooth, it did exactly what I would do in that situation. I hope Fords works ok, I've never tried out their systems before.

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Come drive in LA traffic ...Texans are friendly with driving, at least in my experience. In LA it is different, it is totally offensive driving, you show a weakness and it is over. It sounds stupid , but it is competitive driving. If you are trying to change lanes in stop and go traffic, or driving 70 miles an hour, a blinker is your weakness. They will line up like the '78 Bears defensive line....you "ebb and flow"....

The State highways are a bit different, but nobody will get out of the number 1 lane and let you go by, you have to pass on the right...it's just a shitty Ca. driving thing,, (until you get in the rural areas, country folk know how to drive and respect others) you can't really get too upset by it or you'll just end up shooting somebody....you just put on some tunes of your choosing and deal with it till you get home.

I have been working in Stunts in the film business for over twenty years, the scariest and most dangerous thing I do, is driving to work and back home each day.
Lol alright point taken. Agreed, it's not that bad in Texas. On the plus side you can do a blinker delete and save some weight.

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, don't get me started on Californian drivers. Although, I will say as I went further north into Humboldt county, people started to drive way more chill and I was the only asshole, driving like I was still in SoCal.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol alright point taken. Agreed, it's not that bad in Texas. On the plus side you can do a blinker delete and save some weight.

I love driving in Texas, everybody is so polite there, seriously.

The Metro areas of California are just different, it's brutal, but you get used to it....and then you sort of like it. Not quite Mad Max, but you could imagine it.

Sponsored

qnet

Big Bend
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2, Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes that is what I’m telling you. Do you commute on the 405 in rush hour? No one wants to let you over. People will wall you out. You have to play chicken to get over at times.

When you do get in people will try to maneuver to rush around you and cut you off so they are one more car length closer to home. Even though you are already doing 80mph.

I didn’t say I never use my signal. I use it all the time but there are times where you don’t. Also like someone said two lane highways. Also in California motorcycle lane splitting is legal and it is the law that you have to move over and share the lane. If you move over to hug the line the lane keep can jerk you back which is dangerous for the motorcyclist.

I have been driving in LA traffic my whole life. You gotta get in when you can or you are assed out. I also split lanes on my motorcycle. I appreciate the mirror light but I don’t want the nannies to jerk someone back into me.
That's insane, and I thought Atlanta traffic was bad.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, don't get me started on Californian drivers. Although, I will say as I went further north into Humboldt county, people started to drive way more chill and I was the only asshole, driving like I was still in SoCal.

I had actually grown to love LA drivers ( moved out last year to Reno), it becomes fun...always being safe of course....It keeps you awake on the drive home...Nascar driving when the lanes were open.

I hated the 5 mile an hour stop and goes....and goes and goes and goes....

agree, once you get out of the Metros, the drivers are better.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's insane, and I thought Atlanta traffic was bad.

No place is worse than Atlanta.

No disrespect intended, but Atlanta traffic drives me bonkers and I have driven all over the world....it just doesn't flow like stop and go traffic should flow....I don't know, it bugs me. I get traffic in cities, but usually there is a rhythm ...of all places Atlanta should have a rhythm , but in traffic, it does not.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also yes, the drivers in Reno probably hate me....I haven't quite adjusted yet ....

OP
OP
MVP

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m glad others got my back. The freeways are a dog eat dog world over here.

I always use my blinkers on the street. Especially making a left turn. It’s funny street driving in SoCal is pretty chill but when you get on the freeway it’s nuts.

I just got back from SF and it’s funny because it feels like slow mo back home now. Those people are absolutely bonkers. They drive like the freeway on the street. I rode my motorcycle through there and they were trying to nudge me off the road on the streets and the freeway. Mind you I have a 6 cylinder 160hp 700 lbs. bike. I can’t go slow on it. I haul ass and they are still trying to kill me.
Sponsored