Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm seeing a lot more regarding available shocks, tie rods and other such things outside of wheels and rims as upgrades. Do any of these improve both on and off-road manners? My thought is that it's one or the other but I'm a 100% noob.
I'm enjoying trying to do upgrades on my OBX but the reality is it's my 40 mile a day commuter car that may see some sand and dirt. But as I brace for a potential zombie apocalypse how can I future proof and improve my daily experience.
Sponsored

Bronco-ocnorB

Big Bend
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Upgrade to the Badlands Bilstein shocks, not much lift but from what I read, a better ride on road as well as better off road performance. Also, apparently quite cost effective.

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This seems like a quite reasonable question.

I suppose that while the majority of our Bronco owners wish to amplify their off-road prowess, there might be a subset that want a lower, tighter suspension.

Interesting thought experiment: Would you propose a a) gear reduction, b) height / center-of-gravity reduction, c)better tires? #honestquestion

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does your Outer Banks have the Sasquatch package? If not, most everything you do to it will likely compromise the on street performance to a degree. Lifts and larger tires for example would improve off-road performance but hurt the road manners a bit. There are items, for example high end coil over shocks, that all other things being equal would improve both street and off-road performance. But, now you’re talking significant investment and I can’t think of any that also won’t lift your truck at least some. Other items won’t impact on or off-road performance, for example stronger tie-rods or steering rack. It’s would drive the same the upgrades would just make it less prone to breakage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm seeing a lot more regarding available shocks, tie rods and other such things outside of wheels and rims as upgrades. Do any of these improve both on and off-road manners? My thought is that it's one or the other but I'm a 100% noob.
I'm enjoying trying to do upgrades on my OBX but the reality is it's my 40 mile a day commuter car that may see some sand and dirt. But as I brace for a potential zombie apocalypse how can I future proof and improve my daily experience.
I think the OBX is the sweet spot for the owner who will do mostly on-road driving mixed with light to moderate off-roading! I would change the tires to a more agressive all terrain and call it a day!

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the OBX is the sweet spot for the owner who will do mostly on-road driving mixed with light to moderate off-roading! I would change the tires to a more agressive all terrain and call it a day!
The bronco models kinda put people in a rock and a hard place. I wanted the wash out flooring and vinyl seating since I have history of not keeping carpet/upholstery super clean, add a kid to the mix and it's not looking great. I also wanted the lux package for the bells and whistles since I plan on keeping the vehicle for 12+ years. Would've been tempted for OBX but didn't want the non-wash out stuff. Since black diamond didn't get the high/lux packages, I passed on it. It'll be a DD that I plan on taking out on the trails for offroading or getting out in the woods for camping.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bronco models kinda put people in a rock and a hard place. I wanted the wash out flooring and vinyl seating since I have history of not keeping carpet/upholstery super clean, add a kid to the mix and it's not looking great. I also wanted the lux package for the bells and whistles since I plan on keeping the vehicle for 12+ years. Would've been tempted for OBX but didn't want the non-wash out stuff. Since black diamond didn't get the high/lux packages, I passed on it. It'll be a DD that I plan on taking out on the trails for offroading or getting out in the woods for camping.
Some of the same reasons we went with Badlands with the high pkg. we love it!

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The OBX provided the required usage. Unfortunately, the OBX interior options were not to my liking, and the pedestrian tire option on the standard version would force me to go with the Sasquatch package. Adding the package made the total cost close to the BL. So it made sense to go BL without Sasquatch, but with the interior option I liked, with lux, wash out floors. Yes, I will most likely never use the trail turn assist, or the disconnecting bar, but it is a BL in CO with MGV and BFG KO’s and it oozes satisfaction. If only it came with a small block V8.