Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi gang.

I've been a very happy owner of a 2022 OBX (non-SAS, no locker) for about a year now. I've put 6,000 miles on it, mostly on the pavement, but with a few mild off-road adventures with my kids. I am planning more serious off-road adventures with my kids later this summer.

On 3/27, I ordered a Wildtrak because (1) FOMO, (2) HOSS 3.0 (even for the comfort of daily driving), (3) the V6 (which I shied away from on my first order, when all the blown engines were happening), (4) because I'd like to own this vehicle for 10+ years ... so the more capable platform will be more conducive to adding fun things like 37's, etc, and (5) hard top (was heavily constrained last time so I was afraid to order).

My Wildtrak will come within ~2 weeks -- the whole thing moved SO MUCH FASTER than I was expecting (I thought it would be like a year from order to receipt of the vehicle). So now I'm trying to decide how to sell my OBX.

Option A: Trade-in.

Option B: Sell on private market without first paying off lien ($28k)

Option C: Sell on private market with first paying off lien ($28k) and thus sitting on it for a couple extra weeks until I get the title in hand.

Obviously, I want to get the most bang for my buck. But I also don't want to make my life unnecessarily stressful while holding two vehicles at once. So I'm interested in any advice you can offer. I've never sold a vehicle worth more than $10k before, so I'm not sure what I would be biting off that may complicate things.

As a bonus question: I've got some Vision wheels (bronze, see pic in my avatar) and tires (Recon Grapplers) that I really like on my OBX. Would I be better off selling the OBX with those wheels, or putting the WIldtrak wheels on there for the sale? Maybe that will depend on whether I go with Option A or B/C from above.

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a similar situation and ended up trading mine in. I was surprised to learn I would get credit for sales tax on the trade-in. Something to look into or consider in the equation.
Oh interesting. So are you saying the sales tax is now computed

(new vehicle price - trade-in value) * sales tax percentage

?

Offroad Newb

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

?
Depends purely on the state laws. Look into your local area. Arizona works the way you described.

Offroad Newb

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I should add that in California, it does not work that way. You are charged tax on the total price of the vehicle regardless of your trade in.

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

?
That is usually the case but agreed check with the dealer.

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ok ... so this is good information. Thanks guys.

That means I'm talking about $4,000 in Sales Tax on the purchase of the Wildtrak ($64k sticker, approx, @ 6.25% sales tax).

I'm assuming my trade-in will be in the ballpark of $50k, so we're talking about a difference of $14k that gets taxed ($875 tax).

So if I sell privately, I'd need to pick up that ~$3,125 to "break even."

Am I thinking about this correctly? Missing anything?

Thanks

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, you'll save on sales tax as described. Conversely, the dealer also knows this and can use this to lower the value they'll give you.

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep, you'll save on sales tax as described. Conversely, the dealer also knows this and can use this to lower the value they'll give you.
Yep -- no free lunch, after all.

But that will be an important context for understanding their offer, which I did not realize before. I'm going to take it in and see what they offer.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did that when I bought my Bronco. Tried to sell my FJ TTUE on BaT and didn't sell. Tried to sell privately and just had scammers contact me. I ended up trading it in to my dealer for tax credit for the Bronco. It ended up being a few thousand dollars, so I was ok in the end taking less than what I would have gotten for private sale for the total price of the FJ. Plus so much less of a headache/pita to go that route.

Trading in a jeep 392 for a new 392 soon and doing it the same way unless the dealer way low balls me.

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did that when I bought my Bronco. Tried to sell my FJ TTUE on BaT and didn't sell. Tried to sell privately and just had scammers contact me. I ended up trading it in to my dealer for tax credit for the Bronco. It ended up being a few thousand dollars, so I was ok in the end taking less than what I would have gotten for private sale.
Certainly the lower stress / ease of a trade-in is a major plus.

If the gap in total $$ amount ends up in the $1-3k territory ... I'll probably take that trade-in route.

If it's more like $4k+ ... maybe it's worth the hassle to find a private buyer.

mramella

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here in Missouri, we're allowed to deduct the previous vehicle sales price, whether you trade-in, or if you sell on your own via Private Party. So if I sell or trade-in a vehicle for $50k, and buy a Bronco for $60k, I pay taxes on 10 large, not the whole $60k. Because of this, I buy and sell vehicles all the time. If I had to pay full sales tax every time, I would not be able to buy new cars all the time. Thank god I live in a business friendly state! Hey California, if you want more economic growth, you should follow suit! Nah. Fat chance! LOL!

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did traded it in for the sales tax bump too. Got like 2k more that I would have selling to a private person. Ended up making almost $7k after driving my 4dr for 8 months with 10,000 miles. Weird!

Offroad Newb

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here in Missouri, we're allowed to deduct the previous vehicle sales price, whether you trade-in, or if you sell on your own via Private Party. So if I sell or trade-in a vehicle for $50k, and buy a Bronco for $60k, I pay taxes on 10 large, not the whole $60k. Because of this, I buy and sell vehicles all the time. If I had to pay full sales tax every time, I would not be able to buy new cars all the time. Thank god I live in a business friendly state! Hey California, if you want more economic growth, you should follow suit! Nah. Fat chance! LOL!
I live in California and think everything is overpriced and a lot of laws are ridiculous (looking at you out of state warranty "consumer protection" laws), but economically per GDP I think they are doing alright...Down from Covid for sure but still a strong economy overall, depending how you define that.
Sponsored