Sponsored

Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco...

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

First:
It’s 99.9999999991% true that the people who make the biggest deal about an issue on a thing have never used/driven/flown said thing.

Second
I have a JTR and yes the steering is “different” but it’s not terrible. I haven’t had the TSB complied with yet, either. But I will. You are driving old technology (SFA/drag link/etc) and it feels like it.

“Death Wobble” is a specific condition that happens when the steering components wear and have too much play AND then a specific incident happens and you MAY get the wobble. If you keep your sh*t maintained it won’t/very unlikely to actually happen. But it is not unique to Jeep - it’s uniqu to ANY SFA set up. ?‍♂

As for the OP - if you want a known entity go with the Jeep everyone knows the good/bad/ugly. If youare willing to take a risk wait for the Bronco. ?‍♂
Yeah, that's the internet for ya.

Thanks for the real life feedback.
Sponsored

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

den_jkur

First Edition
First Name
Deepu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yes. thanks. That was a typo. I'll correct it.

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler-4xe.h...cfuUhI64zBNH-U-p7qxoCLGkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Have you looked at the new jeep coming out? Its an interesting concept.
In Colorado including the State tax credit we could save around $10,000 over the purchase price on the Wrangler 4xe. Also there is a dealer in Longmont who offers 5% below invoice if you ever decide to go that route.. I am closely watching the price on the 4xe..

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am all for supporting the new Bronco and I hope mine does well. But it is unproven and hasn’t been tested against the competition.
Tested against the competition and the competition was found wanting...

Ford Bronco Calling all those who own and wheel a JL and are considering the Bronco... Bronco Jeep winch 2020s

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sponsored

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You drive a CRV. To say there is no reason to buy a Jeep is a bold statement of support for a Bronco that has not even sold its first one to the public.
I do drive a crv. Its a great get around car.

However the jeep is built on a platform from like 40 years ago. The ride is awful and the interior room is just as bad.

the problem with the jeep is its axles. Which only exist for EXTREME off roading (honestly rock crawling)

The bronco will be better on and off road out of the factory. This isnt really a guess. Its just a fact. IFS is a better ride than solid axles period.

So unless OP is planning to lift his jeep 4-5 inches and do extreme competitive rock crawling or something. A bronco is better in everything except aftermarket (which in 2-3 years will be as good)

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this is a bronco on 37s

this was the "accessory" display bronco with a small lift and 37 inch tires
2021 Bronco 2 inch lift kit 37 inch tires.jpg
Just want to point out that that specific Bronco also has a Ranger Raptor rear end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

However the jeep is built on a platform from like 40 years ago. The ride is awful and the interior room is just as bad.

the problem with the jeep is its axles. Which only exist for EXTREME off roading (honestly rock crawling)

The bronco will be better on and off road out of the factory. This isnt really a guess. Its just a fact. IFS is a better ride than solid axles period.

So unless OP is planning to lift his jeep 4-5 inches and do extreme competitive rock crawling or something. A bronco is better in everything except aftermarket (which in 2-3 years will be as good)
I think the JL interior is pretty nice. Have you been in a JL Rubicon?
Like I said a requirement for me is the ability to run 37's without having to hack up the body and or frame up and have axles that can support it while not having to lift so high to introduce binding on the CVs. I've been through that fire drill with my last IFS rig and it is not easy to overcome the limitations of lift to fit large tires with keeping the axle angles in check. All of that is an unknown with the standard Bronco at this point. I agree IFS is a smoother ride, no one is arguing that. But, SFA and the fashion is which the Jeep has the hood inset from the fenders so far gives the ability to run large tires with not much drama. Now if Ford would just release some info on the ability to run 37's with a dealer installed lift I'd be 1000% committed to the Bronco.

Last edited:

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the JL interior in pretty nice. Have you been in a JL Rubicon?
Like I said a requirement for me is the ability to run 37's without having to hack up the body and or frame up and have axles that can support it while not having to lift so high to introduce binding on the CVs. I've been though that fire drill with my last IFS rig and it is not easy to overcome the limitations of lift to fit large tires with keeping the axle angles in check. All of that is an unknown with the standard Bronco at this point. I agree IFS is a smoother ride, no one is arguing that. But, SFA and the fashion is which the Jeep has the hood inset from the fenders so far gives the ability to run large tires with not much drama. Now if Ford would just release some info on the ability to run 37's with a dealer installed lift I'd be 1000% committed to the Bronco.
I did a test drive in a jeep a few years ago. Dunno if its the new model but it was within the last 10 years.

The interior was terrible and the visibility was non existent

OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I did a test drive in a jeep a few years ago. Dunno if its the new model but it was within the last 10 years.

The interior was terrible and the visibility was non existent
JL is 2018 to current, you test drove a JK. No clue if the visibility is any better on the JL, but it seemed just fine for me.

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In Colorado including the State tax credit we could save around $10,000 over the purchase price on the Wrangler 4xe. Also there is a dealer in Longmont who offers 5% below invoice if you ever decide to go that route.. I am closely watching the price on the 4xe..
I got 3k off one and 7k off my rubicons last time I bought them. Both were in the 48k range. I was pretty amazed. The second one was on the lot for a while though. I'll have to check that out. I didnt even think about the tax credit. Last time I checked though prices had gone up quite a bit. I ended up with a ranger instead of another JL because prices had just gotton out of hand. Even with 5k off I couldnt justify a 2 door base with no power. Got the fully loaded ranger for about the same price.

395N...
The electric/gas combos like the one in the 2.0 seem to work really well. I'm just worried about the complexity of the systems. I think the 4xe would be similar...I really like the hp and torque numbers though. It might be worth a test drive...

I really like the Bronco, but I think they are a little behind in terms of the market. Hopefully they can catch up. I'm not a big fan of the ev/gas combinations but they do work really well. Normally 35s would bog down any suv at 6000 feet where I'm at, but like I mentioned that 2.0 with the etorque works really well.

JL is 2018 to current, you test drove a JK. No clue if the visibility is any better on the JL, but it seemed just fine for me.
Agreed the JL and JK are day and night difference in terms of driving experience. They really did a good job on the JL. I have a feeling the Bronco will ride even better though if my Ranger is any indication.

Last edited:
OP
OP
395N

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I got 3k off one and 7k off my rubicons last time I bought them. Both were in the 48k range. I was pretty amazed. The second one was on the lot for a while though. I'll have to check that out. I didnt even think about the tax credit. Last time I checked though prices had gone up quite a bit. I ended up with a ranger instead of another JL because prices had just gotton out of hand. Even with 5k off I couldnt justify a 2 door base with no power. Got the fully loaded ranger for about the same price.

395N...
The electric/gas combos like the one in the 2.0 seem to work really well. I'm just worried about the complexity of the systems. I think the 4xe would be similar...I really like the hp and torque numbers though. It might be worth a test drive...

I really like the Bronco, but I think they are a little behind in terms of the market. Hopefully they can catch up. I'm not a big fan of the ev/gas combinations but they do work really well. Normally 35s would bog down any suv at 6000 feet where I'm at, but like I mentioned that 2.0 with the etorque works really well.
I am going to test drive some built JL's this week (2.0 and 3.6) and see how bad the on road drive is.
Good to hear you like the e torque. The 3.6 can only be had with e torque for MY21 with an automatic.
I have zero interest in the 4xe. I don't want to go into the reasons why here because people get sensitive about it. It's just not for me.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am going to test drive some built JL's this week (2.0 and 3.6) and see how bad the on road drive is.
Good to hear you like the e torque. The 3.6 can only be had with e torque for MY21 with an automatic.
I have zero interest in the 4xe. I don't want to go into the reasons why here because people get sensitive about it. It's just not for me.
The 3.6 with the etorque should be interesting. The 3.6 screams at above 3k rpm and it has a really nice linear power curve....For what its worth, I love the on-road drive...
Sponsored