Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Like someone mentioned earlier, no one looks at their VIN in the windshield. But it was also mentioned that 3 recalls were done, isn’t the windshield the go to VIN for recalls and oil changes, usually using a scanner? If so, whatever happened must have happened recently, or it would have been noticed then.
No its usually the door VIN. I mean that's the one I always go to.
Sponsored

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's a different take.....
The vehicle was serviced for windshield sealant and someone stole the vin tag.
I know it's not easy to do or even likely it happened. Just thought I'd throw it out there as a remote possibility.

I have to admit I'm intrigued as to why it's missing or what happened to it.
When the window VIN tag is removed on this type of tag, it leaves a lot of VOID marks in the area.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm betting big that it slid down underneath when they did the window

Ford Bronco Where the hell is my VIN?! Missing Windshield VIN show-me-the-carfax

RAC-Wildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
RAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Crazy idea - print out another sticker with the VIN, don't need the QR code, and go to a glass shop and have the window pulled and pop the sticker on! However, I'm guessing it is already in the CA system so you can't just go back and say "Oops, the VIN showed back up!"
I would put this in the category of "Potentially VERY Poor Advice"

Just guessing, but I'd assume that fabricating a VIN Tag (even with good intention to replace a lost Tag) could be considered forging an official ID Tag. Sort of like making your own license plate to replace a damaged or lost plate. Regardless, I'd stick to the "official" channels.

Sponsored

Wiser Bronco

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’ve been considering this. But without the title or registration yet, they may not even touch the car when its involving the VIN

Thank you for posting this. I cant see the transparent overlay, to me it looks like it is printed directly on the FoMoCo sticker. If that is the case, I have that sticker, just nothing is printed on its surface, which would mean it came like that from the factory (which I know we have discussed is unlikely but, anything is possible). If its a transparent overlay, then I could see how it may have been removed during a sloppy window repair/exchange.

I tried to call the Dealer in South Carolina today but the Service manager was out so I left a message. I'm not even sure how to begin explaining this mess to them. Not as if they'll remember the car. The repair to the window for the recall was done on August 10, 2022.

My local Ford was baffled and said they have bever seen this before (obviously), but that the FoMoCo black sticker certainly looks official and there would be no real way to obtain that sticker on its own and place it there, nor would it make any sense. A scammer would just leave the area blank if anything and not go through the trouble to print a blank FoMoCo sticker without a VIN on it (fake or not).

By happenstance at the local Ford dealer was a California Highway Patrolman picking up his cruiser so I talked with him and showed him the missing VIN. He at first said the car may have been slated as a demo and manufacturers sometimes wont put visible VINs on vehicles that are used in commercials, etc. He said he has actually seen that a few times when doing inspections and investigations. I highly doubt that would be the case with this vehicle. He basically told me what a few have said, it may be a manufacturing error or was removed when the window was repaired but either way its Federal law to have a VISIBLE VIN in the window and so that I would have to get it inspected by them. They'll investigate and if all is well, they'll "blue tag" it. Essentially just place a new VIN tag on the car that is government compliant and official.

Ill keep you all updated on what the South Carolina dealership says when I finally speak to them...if anything.
Message me ill give you a recommendation in North County they might just have this figured out they do all my vin inspections.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Just guessing, but I'd assume that fabricating a VIN Tag (even with good intention to replace a lost Tag) could be considered forging an official ID Tag. Sort of like making your own license plate to replace a damaged or lost plate. Regardless, I'd stick to the "official" channels.
This. DMVs don't have a sense of humor about these things.

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ya I was very tempted, seeing as the original VIN tag is a joke anyway. I still cannot believe it is a sticker and not a permanent attachment or engraving. Knowing my luck though (as evidenced here), some ultra hardcore CHP officer will pull me over one day, look at it, and determine its not real and give me some $1000+ ticket and an impound for my troubles.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This. DMVs don't have a sense of humor about these things.
Yeah, I should have put a "JK" or something in my original post, I really wasn't serious. I had an '86 corvette once, and the VIN was rusted over and I was working on getting a new one, but sold it to a buddy who knew the issue before it happened. That was in FL.

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My hope is that is was not someone working at the dealership or window replacement company that is being paid to provide VIN numbers to someone pedaling hot cars.....

I am guessing but I think that VIN is applied to a layer of plastic (probably an HDPE or something along those lines) that is then applied over a "tamper proof" tape (the piece with the fomoco stamped on it). Possibly could have been removed with heat? would have to hit the exact temp so as not to melt the HDPE.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’ve been considering this. But without the title or registration yet, they may not even touch the car when its involving the VIN

Thank you for posting this. I cant see the transparent overlay, to me it looks like it is printed directly on the FoMoCo sticker. If that is the case, I have that sticker, just nothing is printed on its surface, which would mean it came like that from the factory (which I know we have discussed is unlikely but, anything is possible). If its a transparent overlay, then I could see how it may have been removed during a sloppy window repair/exchange.

I tried to call the Dealer in South Carolina today but the Service manager was out so I left a message. I'm not even sure how to begin explaining this mess to them. Not as if they'll remember the car. The repair to the window for the recall was done on August 10, 2022.

My local Ford was baffled and said they have bever seen this before (obviously), but that the FoMoCo black sticker certainly looks official and there would be no real way to obtain that sticker on its own and place it there, nor would it make any sense. A scammer would just leave the area blank if anything and not go through the trouble to print a blank FoMoCo sticker without a VIN on it (fake or not).

By happenstance at the local Ford dealer was a California Highway Patrolman picking up his cruiser so I talked with him and showed him the missing VIN. He at first said the car may have been slated as a demo and manufacturers sometimes wont put visible VINs on vehicles that are used in commercials, etc. He said he has actually seen that a few times when doing inspections and investigations. I highly doubt that would be the case with this vehicle. He basically told me what a few have said, it may be a manufacturing error or was removed when the window was repaired but either way its Federal law to have a VISIBLE VIN in the window and so that I would have to get it inspected by them. They'll investigate and if all is well, they'll "blue tag" it. Essentially just place a new VIN tag on the car that is government compliant and official.

Ill keep you all updated on what the South Carolina dealership says when I finally speak to them...if anything.
One thing that no one's brought up but could yours be one of the mannequins that Ford shipped out in '21 to dealers so they had something to show. I don't know if those potentially had the VIN removed but kinda follows what the CHP officer said.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing that no one's brought up but could yours be one of the mannequins that Ford shipped out in '21 to dealers so they had something to show. I don't know if those potentially had the VIN removed but kinda follows what the CHP officer said.
Like this?

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Except this is on a 2022.

Enough talk, go to the dealer and see how they can remedy. Going to end up with an expired plate and no title or registration.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My local dealer sold their mannequin as soon as Ford would let them. Actually, they took a 5k deposit a week after it showed up. I test drove it twice and I wonder what the mileage was on it when they sold it.
Sponsored