Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2016 Harley Davidson Sportster48
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If someone wants it that bad they can have it. Thats what insurance is for. I leave mine in the driveway wide open with doors and top of for a good 3-4mo out of the year.
Good for you not being worried if it gets stolen. For many people this is their daily mode of transportation and may not have alternative vehicles to drive. I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced having a vehicle totaled or stolen but there is a lot of frustration and difficulty dealing with that.
Sponsored

sjudas

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

<<< NOT ME / NOT MY BRONCO>>> This was posted on Reddit earlier today:

I bought a scrambler pouch on Amazon. I keep my key fobs in it every night.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

…..shooting the man in this video would be illegal in all 50 states.
unfortunately.
And to think, there was a time when we would hang horse thieves.

Flattie

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GMC 1500 SLT 3.0L Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is it possible to install an ignition kill switch in broncos with intelligent access?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good for you not being worried if it gets stolen. For many people this is their daily mode of transportation and may not have alternative vehicles to drive. I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced having a vehicle totaled or stolen but there is a lot of frustration and difficulty dealing with that.
That's easier to deal with than the trauma of killing someone.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For this hyper specific example, yes.

This type of attack is called a relay attack. Relay attacks come in many forms. The attack vector in this case appears to have been Ford’s Intelligent Access system, but that’s obviously not the only possible attack vector.
Which begs the question to be asked, did they figure out what RFID chip range Ford is using? Depending on fob style it's a Phillips 46 Crypto in 902 MHz, 868 MHz, 434 MHz or 315 MHz. Most locksmith suppliers sell cloning equipment which doesn't require plugging in and programming like we have to do. These cloners do require the fob/key be on or near the tool to read the chip then clones it to the blank in the new fob/key. I've never messed with these but the mobile guy that comes here to make additional sets for our non-Ford used vehicles, does. Don't know if Ford is vulnerable to CAN injection like some but I've not heard of that type of hack yet.

It would be hard to think these thieves are able to wake the vehicle up and force it into the security access mode, quickly program their own code and then just drive away. If they're able to tickle the remote to get the chip ID then broadcast it inside the vehicle, yes, it's just ride and drive. This is where a hidden start/stop button, brake interlock circuit interrupter (microswitch) and pretty much negate their ability to just drive off.

Greg2060

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's not constantly emitting a signal. It is simply responding to a request from the vehicle.

So, for example, if you have Intelligent Access (the feature that allows you to unlock the door when you touch the door handle), the vehicle will send out an authentication request to a nearby keyfob. If the keyfob responds appropriately, an authentication handshake will occur and the door will unlock.

The device they are using is basically relaying the request from the Bronco and amplifying it so the keyfob in the house picks up the signal. The keyfob then responds appropriately, and their device with its giant high-gain antenna picks it up, and it relays the response back to the Bronco so the Bronco thinks the keyfob is right next to the vehicle where it normally would be.

Same thing to start the Bronco, they're just relaying the keyfob signals so the Bronco thinks the key is literally in the vehicle. They start it up, reset FordPass/Sync, drive it away, program new keys, and ship the vehicle overseas to be sold. Boom...💰
How far away from the vehicle can the FOB be and still have this method work? For example, lets say a thief is stalking a shopping mall waiting for a potential victim. Would they be able to access the vehicle while you walk away?

Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is my daily transportation. I have an old grand marquis I recently picked up cheap just to have a spare. Yes I have dealt with a totalled vehicle on several ocassions, even once without full coverage that was my fault and left me with a pile of mangle mustang gt in the driveway. I completely understand the frustration and inconvenience of being without. These days thieves are everywhere and with technology its even easier for them. If they want it theyll get it. Doesnt do me any good to worry and stress it. I have added coverage on my insurance for the stereo and add ons Ive done. If someone stole it theyd probably be doing me a favor cause more than likely Id profit from it.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How far away from the vehicle can the FOB be and still have this method work? For example, lets say a thief is stalking a shopping mall waiting for a potential victim. Would they be able to access the vehicle while you walk away?
Most of these relay boxes use Bluetooth to communicate, so… think of the range of your typical wireless Bluetooth headphones.

But really there is no limit other than the speed of light. At some point you get too far away and the authentication request will time out while it waits for the waves to travel… so you probably can’t perform a relay attack from the moon. 😅

But I built one in college for a wireless communication class that worked over 2 miles. That was for garage doors and not automobiles, but same principle.

Last edited:

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That only applies if you're actually inside the vehicle.
Pasedena Texas

Joe Horn shot and killed two burglars outside his neighbor's home. IIRC,they were shot in the back as they fled. Grand Jury let him walk.

One vital piece of evidence were segments of Horn's 911 calls which could have possibly incriminated Horn or shown his innocence. The most scrutinized segment is presented below:

Horn: "I've got a shotgun; do you want me to stop them?"
Pasadena emergency operator: "Nope. Don't do that. Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, O.K.?"
Horn: "But hurry up, man. Catch these guys will you? Cause, I ain't going to let them go." (Horn then said he would get his shotgun.)

Operator: "No, no."
Horn: "I can't take a chance of getting killed over this, O.K.? I'm going to shoot."

(The operator tells him not to go out with a gun because officers would be arriving.)
Horn: "I understand that O.K. But I have a right to protect myself too, sir, and you understand that ... and the laws have been changed in this country since September the first [2007], and you know it and I know it. I have a right to protect myself. A shotgun is a legal weapon, it's not an illegal weapon."

Operator: "You're going to get yourself shot if you go outside that house with a gun."
Horn: "You wanna make a bet?"
Horn: "I'm gonna kill 'em"
Horn: "Well here it goes, buddy. You hear the shotgun clicking and I'm going."[12]
Horn, to burglars: "Move, you're dead."

(There were two quick gunshots, then a third.)
Horn, to dispatcher: "I had no choice. They came in the front yard with me, man. I had no choice."
The 911 call ended about 80 seconds after the shots were fired, when officers arrived on the scene.[1]

Status
Not open for further replies.