Sponsored

How much rear glass will we see smashed in parking lots?

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So it looks like the rear glass can only be opened when the tire arm is in its' open position. But I'm wondering how many times you'll see someone try and shut the glass with the tire closed and break a window on the third tail light.

Or has it been confirmed the glass can open/close without any interference?
Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you have a tire on the back there is no physical way it would be able to open/close. ?‍♂

JK

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So it looks like the rear glass can only be opened when the tire arm is in its' open position. But I'm wondering how many times you'll see someone try and shut the glass with the tire closed and break a window on the third tail light.

Or has it been confirmed the glass can open/close without any interference?
I feel like most people would be reminded that they shouldn’t close the glass when there is a huge spare tire in their way.

Last edited:

351HO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150, 92 Ranger, 85 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The rear glass can not be opened unless the tailgate has been swung open.

I am hoping that the gas struts holding up the rear glass are strong enough to prevent it from slamming into the tire / 3rd brake light.

I don't see this being a big issue.

OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel like most people would be reminded that they shouldn’t close the glass when their is a huge spare tire in their way.
You'd think - but I've seen plenty of SUVs/Wagons/Hatchbacks lose a rear window when the hatch was slammed shut and someone forgot they had 2x4s or just had the hatch area packed to the extreme.

Sponsored
OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The rear glass can not be opened unless the tailgate has been swung open.

I am hoping that the gas struts holding up the rear glass are strong enough to prevent it from slamming into the tire / 3rd brake light.

I don't see this being a big issue.
A mechanical lockout would be a good feature.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'd think - but I've seen plenty of SUVs/Wagons/Hatchbacks lose a rear window when the hatch was slammed shut and someone forgot they had 2x4s or just had the hatch area packed to the extreme.
I think that is a little different than having to physically reach over/past the giant tire to grab the glass hatch to close it. I dont really think it will be an issue except maybe if the door open but is at just the right angle for the glass to clip the brake light

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't think that'll be a problem. When I first got my Jeep I tried it one time, just one time. It took a micro second to see the mistake, and re-opened the gate. If a person can't figure out their mistake after reaching over the spare tire to get to the glass maybe they shouldn't even be driving. IMHO

OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that is a little different than having to physically reach over/past the giant tire to grab the glass hatch to close it. I dont really think it will be an issue except maybe if the door open but is at just the right angle for the glass to clip the brake light
That's fair - I've just been thinking of my wife's FoST and how careful I am every time the hatch get's near full.

Sponsored
OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think that'll be a problem. When I first got my Jeep I tried it one time, just one time. It took a micro second to see the mistake, and re-opened the gate. Even if I would have pulled the glass down it would have hit the top of the spare tire first. No harm, no foul.
That's good to know - I kept playing the scenario in my head of getting back to the car dead tired after a long day of Mt. Biking / Hiking / Beach / Whatever and trying to shut the glass quickly and realizing you made a huge mistake as soon as the glass left your hand.

But even for just general driving around at low speed - I do hope the struts are strong enough to keep it open / they have a mechanical lockout.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have tried many times to slam (let’s be clear not on murpose ??‍♂) the rear glass of the jeep while the gate was closed.
Luckily it bounced of the tire everytime.
Hopefully that won’t be an issue on the Bronco either!

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A mechanical lockout would be a good feature.
with the removable top, mechanical lockout would be a real challenge to implement. Sound like closing the top of my food processor type of design!

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's good to know - I kept playing the scenario in my head of getting back to the car dead tired after a long day of Mt. Biking / Hiking / Beach / Whatever and trying to shut the glass quickly and realizing you made a huge mistake as soon as the glass left your hand.

But even for just general driving around at low speed - I do hope the struts are strong enough to keep it open / they have a mechanical lockout.
I don't think you'll have any worries there Greg. The struts on the Jeep do the job properly, and I expect the ones on the Bronco will also. With the quality of the struts these days I don't think being sans a latch will be a problem. I'm been on a Jeep forum for several years, and haven't heard any complaints in that department. Although I haven't done it, I've seen a few Jeeps in my town driving with the rear glass open. I think they are living on the edge of a problem, but that may be just me. I don't want to find out too late that it's not a good idea. :)

OP
OP
L8apex

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
with the removable top, mechanical lockout would be a real challenge to implement. Sound like closing the top of my food processor type of design!
I guess the simple mechanical lockout would just be a hose clamp on the gas strut...that'll be $100 please.
Sponsored