First Name
Lori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, MazdaCX-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I posted some photos of my drive down the Oregon and California coast a few weeks back, well this is the return trip, mostly the drive through Yosemite. An absolutely incredible drive. I left Los Angeles and was hoping to drive Angels Crest Highway only to learn was closed because of the snow storm the night before. Basically had to drive around the mountains so I took the I-210 to I-5 to US14 where I stopped in Mohave to check out one of those airport storage facilities....

DSC_5670.jpg

DSC_5673.jpg
DSC_5680.jpg

If you look close you'll see airplanes back there. Lots and lots of airplanes. I got a good run through the desert not far from here.

DSC_5689.jpg
Cool vista along the way.

2022-12-13 11.49.17.jpg

I eventually got to Fresno where I decided to take highway 41 to Yosemite. Only problem it had just dumped snow there as well and chains were required. I didnt have any. Crap. It was getting dark so I stayed the night in Oakhurst. The next morning I learned I could probably get to the park as the roads had been plowed. So off I went and after an insanely beautful drive along the bendy highway 41 I made it to the park.
2022-12-13 12.14.11.jpg

I learned upon entry it's up to a $5,000 fine for not having chains in the park. Crap I still dont have any chains. I decided to risk it and see what the oncoming traffic looked like and if I saw chains I would turn around. Thankfully, almost no one had chains! I only saw a few dozen cars over the 4 hours I took to drive through. I put the GOAT mode in slippery and damn, not a single loss of traction up or downhill. I will admit with the possibility of a 5k fine I didnt push it.
DSC_5707.jpg

Was sad to see a lot of the park burned.
DSC_5730.jpg

Fire sucks.
DSC_5750.jpg

My first sighting of Half Dome
DSC_5758.jpg

Another shot of Half Dome.

DSC_5761.jpg

The icicles looked cool...as does the Bronco. :)
DSC_5923.jpg

DSC_5814.jpg

The waterfall was amazing in motion, lots of freezing mist.

DSC_5820.jpg

DSC_5827.jpg

DSC_5842.jpg

El Capitan reflecting on the hood.

DSC_5861.jpg

The crows there have absolutely zero fear of people. (not Bronco related, sorry! lol)

2022-12-13 14.15.14.jpg

DSC_5895.jpg

2022-12-13 16.26.23.jpg

After exploring the park I hit highway 49. Look at that!

DSC_5961.jpg

Check that road out...and view!

DSC_5983.jpg

Highway 49. Stunning.

DSC_5986.jpg

DSC_6002.jpg

Im bummed a lot of my photos got sorta ruined by the LED light flickering. Longer exposures next time. The drivers headlight you can see the problem.

DSC_5869.jpg

One more shot of this guy.

Anyway, Yosemite was sick. I'd never been there and what a day I picked to go. Virtually empty, with all that wonderful snow.
Cheers.

DSC_5786.jpg

Weird, cant seem to delete this image. I edit the post, delete it, save its still there. huh.
Darn it… I wanted to know what railyard that is in the background!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
mark1031

mark1031

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 1966 VW Bus, 1999 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, interesting response. Not sure why my response triggered you so much.

Wildfires ARE natural. They happen all the time. They burn, and they stop on their own UNLESS humans change those natural cycles. Sorry if you disagree, but that is a historical fact.

I was NOT talking about arson, or power companies not doing what they are supposed to do which is to keep trees away from power lines so that we don't have fires caused by downed powerlines during high winds.

Fire suppression in wilderness areas was a bad course of action, and it has been compounding for decades. Undoing the "damage" that has been done will not be easy. Maybe this might be enlightening: https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-...ies-in-idaho/wildfires-and-forest-management/

This image, from the article explains what happens in a "natural forest" and one that has endured decades for "fire suppression"

firemanagement.jpg

You probably think the top left photo is what a forest is supposed to look like, but that is a modern perception and is not correct. The top right photo is what a forest should look like, and will look pretty much the same after a fire.

Yellowstone looks fantastic now, and it did 15 years ago too. We have different definitions/perspectives on what nature should look like.

I doubt anything I have written will change your mind. But Yosemite will look great again, probably sooner than you think, just as Yellowstone did.

And the fires we have (natural and otherwise) across the western US will get worse (due to drought, human-cause warming, and ongoing fire-suppression) until our national policy changes. A natural or arson set fire will have a much worse outcome in a "fire suppressed" forest versus one that is properly/naturally managed.
"triggered" says all I need to know. 🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
mark1031

mark1031

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Darn it… I wanted to know what railyard that is in the background!!
Thats right on the corner of highway 14 and 58 in Mojave, CA
The other direction isnt bad either

DSC_5667.jpg

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That word was for your benefit and it was a subtle dig that went over your head. I am as far from woke as anyone you probably know...

Balerstos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150, 2017 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mentioned you took 4 hours through the valley, but how long was the drive from Oakhurst to the floor roughly if you can recall? Also, what sort of speeds were you generally hitting?

I'm looking at doing a drive up this weekend and I'm trying to allot for time and keeping safety in mind.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did not post the photos to start a dumb debate about forest fires but I cant lets this go...

You call that photo 15 years later more beautiful then even!?!? See all those really tall trees? Thats what its all supposed to look like. See all those little 10-12 footers, year thats not restored nor is it better. Thankfully no one lives where that fire was, you do realize thousands of homes get burned in these "fires that need to happen"

If a forest burns today you and I will never see it the way it previously was, it takes a generation for trees like that.

Also yes some fires are a natural occurrence but I like that you convieniently left out that 10pct are caused by arson and that 6 of the last massive fires in Cali were caused by powerlines.

Its also very convienient to say our fire suppression policy has been a disaster. Whats your plan? You every fly from Los Angeles to Seattle? Thats an insane amout of forest to attempt to do whatever it is you think isnt being done.

Lastly, it doesnt help that the town I live in had an all time high temp of 98 degrees. Two years ago it beat that by 18 degrees to 116.

To suggest these fires need to happen is pretty ridiculous.
Welp i guess we see what side your on. You are wrong on this subject. Its exactly how its been for 100s of years. It didnt change in your lifetime. Idk whyyou are so triggered over this?

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
An
The same happened to Yellowstone about 30 years ago when a large part of the park burned. A lot of the tree huggers whined that the park was "ruined" forever, but within 10-15 years, all those burned areas came back more beautiful than ever.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2018/10/30/has-yellowstone-recovered-from-the-1988-wildfires/

Our country's "fire suppression" policy has been nothing short of a total disaster. Fires are a natural occurrence and they need to happen to keep the forest eco-system in balance. Not letting natural fires burn has put a literal powder keg in our forests nationwide.

Yosemite will be just fine and will recover in time. It may take a little longer since it seems like the western US is going to be in a more drought-intensive period moving forward.
Correct. 1000% agree.……….

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Basically had to drive around the mountains so I took the I-210 to I-5 to US14 where I stopped in Mohave to check out one of those airport storage facilities....

Ford Bronco Took my Bronco to Yosemite a day after it snowed. Incredible! DSC_5667

Ford Bronco Took my Bronco to Yosemite a day after it snowed. Incredible! DSC_5667

If you look close you'll see airplanes back there. Lots and lots of airplanes. I got a good run through the desert not far from here.
Hey! I been there!!!
I was stationed at Edwards AFB for six years.
Had a gurlfren who worked at Kieffe and Sons Ford in Mojave.
I usedta drive my F-250, or Honda XL600 across the desert all the time.
Back In The Day, it was a cool place to go offroad.
GREAT Yosemite pics!!!

BNSF E9

Big Bend
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kona Blue GT350 2019 Baltic Sea Green Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've seen a lot of pictures, read a lot of stories, and your photos are the best, plus the account of the trip. I've been in Yosemite many times, but without the right vehicle, never visited during this time of year. Outstanding, and thank you very much. Still waiting for my EG...waiting, waiting, waiting!

BNSF E9

Big Bend
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kona Blue GT350 2019 Baltic Sea Green Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not as good as Winter Scenery, but you get the idea.
Without a Bronco, you take what you can get...LOL.

DSC05854.JPG

DSC05862.JPG

Sponsored

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I posted some photos of my drive down the Oregon and California coast a few weeks back, well this is the return trip, mostly the drive through Yosemite. An absolutely incredible drive. I left Los Angeles and was hoping to drive Angels Crest Highway only to learn was closed because of the snow storm the night before. Basically had to drive around the mountains so I took the I-210 to I-5 to US14 where I stopped in Mohave to check out one of those airport storage facilities....

DSC_5670.jpg

DSC_5786.jpg

Weird, cant seem to delete this image. I edit the post, delete it, save its still there. huh.
Thank you for the great post. The final image is excellent so no worries. Easy on the forest fires. They happen and the forests are better for them. Not pretty but that is the natural cycle Our fire suppression and urbanization make them more negatively impactful.
Agree, they don't give the look we desire so no disagreement there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mark1031

mark1031

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've seen a lot of pictures, read a lot of stories, and your photos are the best, plus the account of the trip. I've been in Yosemite many times, but without the right vehicle, never visited during this time of year. Outstanding, and thank you very much. Still waiting for my EG...waiting, waiting, waiting!
Thanks man, most appreciated!

About once a quarter I want to take a road trip to Im sure you'll see some more. :)

Itsdchz

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 PB XLT - 2022 Bronco WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You mentioned you took 4 hours through the valley, but how long was the drive from Oakhurst to the floor roughly if you can recall? Also, what sort of speeds were you generally hitting?

I'm looking at doing a drive up this weekend and I'm trying to allot for time and keeping safety in mind.
We are 45 min from park entrance. Oakhurst to Park Entrance is 15-20 min with no line. 45-60 min entrance to valley floor. Dependent on traffic and weather- way slower with snow and ice. Stopping at tunnel view is a must. Yosemite is our backyard and OP did it justice with the gorgeous shots!

Oldirtybastirred

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 King Ranch 6” lift
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Amazing trip! Makes me miss Yosemite that much more. I lived in Monterey in the early 90's and went to Yosemite at least a dozen times. I want to take my Wife and son now, but I have heard so much about overcrowding and that it takes forever to get anywhere in the park now. It was very easy to get around in the early 90's, unless the glacier rd was closed. No more peole there than a normal state park back then.
Sponsored