Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So if I wanted to increase the amperage of any AUX switch...is it as simple as going to a hardware store and swapping out the fuse for a higher amperage rated one??

Ex......in the Engine Bay Fuse box:
F655Upfitter Switch #6 Output

So just switch out "5" for a "25"?

I got a 20 inch light bar and I am going to use AUX 1 for now. but in the future if I get a rooftop one, I wanted to see what options I have.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Short answer: No.

The wiring is not properly gauged for an increased amperage.
RIGHT. I did see the wire for AUX 1 is Thicker! Well maybe when time comes I'l switch out AUX 1 (use for rooftop bar)....then AUX 2 (use for 20 inch bar).

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RIGHT. I did see the wire for AUX 1 is Thicker! Well maybe when time comes I'l switch out AUX 1 (use for rooftop bar)....then AUX 2 (use for 20 inch bar).
Depending on your lightbar you may not be able to use any of the switches directly, and you'll have to run a relay like @DriveAllNight mentioned.

The factory wiring is 1.5mm2 which is somewhere between a 16 and 15 AWG wire (not that 15 AWG really exists in the wild). That's only sufficient for maybe 15 amps at most, but I personally wouldn't go much above 10 amps.

Most lightbars are going to be closer to 20-25 amps.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Depending on your lightbar you may not be able to use any of the switches directly, and you'll have to run a relay like @DriveAllNight mentioned.

The factory wiring is 1.5mm2 which is somewhere between a 16 and 15 AWG wire (not that 15 AWG really exists in the wild). That's only sufficient for maybe 15 amps at most, but I personally wouldn't go much above 10 amps.

Most lightbars are going to be closer to 20-25 amps.
Good to know :) This is the 20" bar i'll be using for AUX 1.
https://www.roughcountry.com/product/spectrum-20-inch-light-bar-80720

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree on the relay use.

I would add an inline fuse between the relay and light, close to the light. The most heat (resistance) is going to come from the light. [The actual flow of electrical current is from the negative connection to the positive connection.] If the light were to short while on the trail, it will protect your relay and battery.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would definitely recommend a relay no matter which switch you use. A lot of lights come with them standard.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anybody tried to re-arrange the circuit order in the AUX switch panel? i.e. moving the 30-amp and 15-amp circuits to switch 5 and 6, rather than 1 & 2? I haven't had the switch panel apart to look at the back of the switches but it seems like it would be a simple matter of swapping wire pairs on the back of the switches. But knowing OEM stuff it's probably not that simple. I know the hero switches on the dash are operated by some unholy strain of black magic that it takes a shaman on peyote to understand.

I ask because I'm currently using switches 3 and 4 for the lockers, as they only need the 10-amp circuits. They'd be more handy in position 1 & 2.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anybody tried to re-arrange the circuit order in the AUX switch panel? i.e. moving the 30-amp and 15-amp circuits to switch 5 and 6, rather than 1 & 2? I haven't had the switch panel apart to look at the back of the switches but it seems like it would be a simple matter of swapping wire pairs on the back of the switches. But knowing OEM stuff it's probably not that simple. I know the hero switches on the dash are operated by some unholy strain of black magic that it takes a shaman on peyote to understand.

I ask because I'm currently using switches 3 and 4 for the lockers, as they only need the 10-amp circuits. They'd be more handy in position 1 & 2.
Yup you can do that, just gotta cross-splice the wires (if that makes any sense). The overhead console switches control relays in the Battery Junction Box. So if you just rearrange the wires you can change which relays they are triggering.

Diagram below. Now that I'm looking at it, I think the diagram is actually laid out right to left. Aux 1 is Green/Blue and Aux 6 is Violet/Orange. But shouldn't be too hard to verify once you get into it.

Ford Bronco AUX Switch Amperage - Increase? 1710200468668-4

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It is crazy ford gives ya switches and wiring that do not have the capacity to power many devices we want/need to hook upā€¦the prerun wires are almost useless because they are so smallā€¦end of rantā€¦

Last edited:
OP
OP
SROC3

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You are at 8.75 amps so you can use any of the Aux switchs for a light bar that draws 105 watts.
So even AUX #6 will work fine??