First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I’ve been searching for awhile to find a way to mount a winch on my Braptor. I don’t like any of the winch bumpers. I also don’t like the look of hanging one off the factory bumper with a bolt on mount. The hidden mount and winch were about $700 with my dealer discount. Total additional weight is 150 lbs.

The Rough Country hidden mount looks great, but they listed it as fitting the 2022 Braptor as well as the standard Bronco models. A call in to them produced the answer of it doesn’t fit and we have no knowledge of ever listing it as fitting. I pulled the trigger and bought the mount and their 12,000 lb synthetic line winch anyway. I own a suspension manufacturing company and we can generally pull off anything that comes up. I say that, because it turned out exactly as I wished but we had a drive on lift and some strong confidence. There was a lot of trial and error on relocating some components behind the bumper. Front camera, sensors, etc were all unaffected by the mount.

We started by removing the front skid plate, front lower bumper cover (the ugly grey one,) and the tow hooks. Cut off the frame extensions as shown. The two components that RC has you relocate, is the oil cooler and the coolant boost pump next to it. The cooler and pump are moved directly upwards and mounted on the backside of the relocation bracket provided, but with new holes drilled on the back side at the to of the bend. I did spend some decent time carefully flexing/bending the hard coolant lines and kept moving it upward until it was above the provided bracket. This allows room for the winch. All the hoses can remain attached to the cooler in the end and only the hard line leading to the top of the pump will be shortened as well as its rubber hose between it and the pump.

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_0947

This is not a great pic, but the black, supplied cooler mounting plate has the cooler barely visible in the background. It is mounted on the back side of the vertical mounting surface and straight up from its original location. We drilled new mounting holes and did cut off the upper mounting feet of the cooler, as shown in the directions. The pump is mounted on the supplied bracket and mounted on new holes off the driver’s side of the cooler mounting bracket. In summary, just know that it can all be done, if you have the perseverance. Sorry I didn’t get a good pic of the cooler and pump mounted. I also clearances the driver side , vertical winch plate to frame rail bracket to clear the driver’s side intercooler hose.

The winch on its plate will mount up fairly easily now. The kit includes an extension for the controller plug that I mounted near the battery.

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_0965

We had to remove the plastic box surrounding the solenoid so it can be sandwiched between the winch and its skid-plate. I used some high density grey shipping foam zip tied to the solenoid, to mount it snugly in place.

Next was how to access the free spool knob, as it is no longer accessible through the bumper or RC skid-plate. I drilled a 3/8” hole through the top and bottom of the front crossmember, that is directly above the winch free spool knob. I used an 18” long 1/4” ratchet extension to extend it up into the engine compartment. I modified a 10 MM socket to mate with the stud on top of the winch, after removing the handle. I used a second extension and cut/ground the end to accept the handle with a set screw. The socket is drilled to accept the factory set screw. The socket and extension stay firmly in place but turn easily when the handle is plugged in.

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_0963

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_0964

This allows me to only plug in the handle/extension when I use the winch. I store it and the controller in a bag inside a recess of the passenger side fender.

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_0966

I powder coated the tow hooks to match the RC skid-plate. I used a powder spray touch up in the same color on the plastic bumper cover. It matches the color and texture and should be very durable over time.

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_0970

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_0968

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_0969
Sponsored

APEX REX

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor and 21 2D Base 2.7 SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Super clean install, but I don't like how low it is. I would bash that thing offroading for sure.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Super clean install, but I don't like how low it is. I would bash that thing off roading for sure.
I kinda agree, This was a great install but If I need a winch in my part of the world it's because I'm up to headlights in water and mud. in that case I'm not sure I want to fish around to get the hook and then open the hood to get at the freespool.
To be honest there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution for the braptor.... some have problems with intercool air flow, other with mounting sensors and camera or look like cheesy addons.
This install may be as close as we get.....

APEX REX

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor and 21 2D Base 2.7 SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I kinda agree, This was a great install but If I need a winch in my part of the world it's because I'm up to headlights in water and mud. in that case I'm not sure I want to fish around to get the hook and then open the hood to get at the freespool.
To be honest there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution for the braptor.... some have problems with intercool air flow, other with mounting sensors and camera or look like cheesy addons.
This install may be as close as we get.....
That's also a great point and I agree. Anytime I have required a winch recovery, I was 2 feet deep in water, mud or snow, so this location would also make that a challenge.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is one that falls under looks over function. Great engineering though.

Sponsored

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why not use a portable winch in lieu of hanging 150lbs+ on the front of the vehicle 24x7?

TruckCamper

Base
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250 on 37s. 2021 Tacoma (manual)
Your Bronco Model
Base
We have the RC hidden winch. It lasted for 3 trails. Bent to heck. Love the design concept of RC (minus the lack of provision for clutch access) however the execution is poor (weak complicated mounting). Installing the LOBO mount today.

I like the low CG position. We don't use winches often and keeping the weight low, better handling, less leverage over suspension (further forward of wheels = greater weight leverage on suspension) and better approach angle (no massive protruding bumper).

We avoid mud (if mudding was your thing this is a bad option).

new to bronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nice install.

Hard to beat Jeeps when it comes to ease/functionality of installing a winch:
Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor IMG_7309

Ford Bronco 12,000 lb Hidden Winch install on Bronco Raptor WARN

Rosalieee

Raptor
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, BMW M3 Competition X-Drive
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Is the PC touch up you used on the plastic trim piece the one that comes in the rattle can? Or did you spray from a gun? Looks great!

Finbox

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KLR650
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
looks clean from the photo angles but…

I live in Florida, you would have to shovel out the front of your truck to get access to that winch and you’ll be a muddy mess getting back in your truck as well.

But there’s not a lot good options for the Braptor. I was thinking about mounting the winch to the Ford stock OEM mount with and an Anderson plug. When I really go wheeling just bolt it up and unbolt it when I get back home.

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Have to agree here. Fantastic fabing and looks, so clean, but the low position and sacrifice of both approach angle and and ground clearance make this a no go for me personally.

OP
OP

Dougmhoward

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Is the PC touch up you used on the plastic trim piece the one that comes in the rattle can? Or did you spray from a gun? Looks great!
It is a Cardinal powder, coat touchup in a can. It’s not a baked on paint, of course
Nice install.

Hard to beat Jeeps when it comes to ease/functionality of installing a winch:
IMG_7309.jpg

WARN.jpg
Jeeps are indeed super easy, look great and have great access to spool, clutch, etc. Broncos - pain in the neck!

We have the RC hidden winch. It lasted for 3 trails. Bent to heck. Love the design concept of RC (minus the lack of provision for clutch access) however the execution is poor (weak complicated mounting). Installing the LOBO mount today.

I like the low CG position. We don't use winches often and keeping the weight low, better handling, less leverage over suspension (further forward of wheels = greater weight leverage on suspension) and better approach angle (no massive protruding bumper).

We avoid mud (if mudding was your thing this is a bad option).
Agreed on everything you say. Low CG position is a plus for sure. It is a little vulnerable and I may design some additional protection for it. if you are a mud guy (why with the Braptor???) then yes this not a good idea. Winch bumper option is much better. Also, though, if I was going to be potentially in deep snow, or mud, then I would run the cable out a little bit and have it be accessible hooked to something up higher. I am going to add a stinger to the factory bumper which would allow this. Then having the remote free spool lever mounted in the engine apartment is a real plus and it’s a pretty good location then.

, but it provides a very durable finish and seems to have adhered very well to the plastic. Treated it with Prep All first before applying four or five coats to give it a thick base.
Why not use a portable winch in lieu of hanging 150lbs+ on the front of the vehicle 24x7?
I spent a lot of time, contemplating a portable winch mount that I could put in either the front or the back. It becomes a problem of how to store something that big in a vehicle like the bronco, that has limited storage. I’d have to build a very secure amount, so that if an accident occurred it would not be perilous for the passengers inside. The low center of gravity of this mount is pretty ideal and much better than having it hang off the front of the bumper. It seemed to drop my front end about a half inch, which I plan on using the Fouse collars to lift it a little bit in front and rear anyways. I’ll probably do the 2 inch colors in front and the 1 inch colors in the rear.
I have to disagree with you on this. The low center of gravity, not having to deal with changing sensors, cameras, adaptive, steering box, etc. is a huge advantage. I think the front end is pretty much factory and the weight addition is ideally added as well as it can be. The cost savings over doing a complete winch bumper with all the relocation and modifications necessary is huge.
Have to agree here. Fantastic fabing and looks, so clean, but the low position and sacrifice of both approach angle and and ground clearance make this a no go for me personally.
there is no loss of ground clearance with this mount. It does not hang down below the front crossmember. I will measure approach angle and see if I have lost any and report back. Factory is 47.2 degrees.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
there is no loss of ground clearance with this mount. It does not hang down below the front crossmember. I will measure approach angle and see if I have lost any and report back. Factory is 47.2 degrees.
Ground clearance may be measured under the vehicle for the official stats and similarly I am sure there is some standard for measuring approach angle. That said, from a functional/practical perspective, based on the pictures you have shared, this must reduce either ground clearance and or approach angle. Do you honestly think that going down a steep hill and during front suspension compression during the transition that this protrusion isn't going to much more easily contact the ground?

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ground clearance may be measured under the vehicle for the official stats and similarly I am sure there is some standard for measuring approach angle. That said, from a functional/practical perspective, based on the pictures you have shared, this must reduce either ground clearance and or approach angle. Do you honestly think that going down a steep hill and during front suspension compression during the transition that this protrusion isn't going to much more easily contact the ground?
I don’t have a raptor but neither of these are true with the lobo mount

Granted I’ve only actually offloaded in Ouray, Moab and Louisana (mud) so I’m sure that’s not varied enough to have an opinion.

also, in mud, you can move the hook to a front shackle to make it easy to get to.

I haven’t buried a front bumper in mud that I have no access to since I was 16.

my winch is for me anyway. Most of the people I wheel with chose Amazon lights, rotopax, and rims. They work for them, my gear works for me

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get the aesthetic but one flaw with hidden winches is that you can’t visually inspect the spooling of the winch line during retrieval nor the condition of the winch line itself.
Sponsored