First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ground clearance may be measured under the vehicle for the official stats and similarly I am sure there is some standard for measuring approach angle. That said, from a functional/practical perspective, based on the pictures you have shared, this must reduce either ground clearance and or approach angle. Do you honestly think that going down a steep hill and during front suspension compression during the transition that this protrusion isn't going to much more easily contact the ground?
I have the same setup (will copy the clutch extension, very cool idea) and it does not affect ground clearance or approach angle. The protrusion is narrower (same vertical) than the factory front skid which make it look like it sticks out more. Better rock clearance on the sides, the factory skid is overly wide, same straight on.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dougmhoward

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have the same setup (will copy the clutch extension, very cool idea) and it does not affect ground clearance or approach angle. The protrusion is narrower (same vertical) than the factory front skid which make it look like it sticks out more. Better rock clearance on the sides, the factory skid is overly wide, same straight on.
Ah thanks for confirming the approach angle. I am going to still measure it formally but I look at pics and was pretty sure it had not been affected. Let me know if you need measurements on where to drill the hole through the crossmember. It’s a little tricky to figure it out. The clutch operation is very smooth in operation and pretty convenient. It’s also ridged enough when connected that I feel like I could leave the handle in place all the time even. Just no point really as I get it out when I get the controller out.

JohnGalt

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Defender 110
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m surprised the approach angle is unaffected, but that’s great to hear. I estimated I lost a couple degrees with my ugly as sin JCR winch plate set up.

Nonetheless, you’ll want to avoid a solid shot on that mount. I was riding shotgun in a RC Hidden Winch equipped Bronco when it understeered over a berm and off my local track. The mount folded like a screen door in hurricane, driving the winch into the intercooler as well as a variety of other damage.

Ive taken a similar hit going too hot through a wash, but it just caved the skid on my Raptor in an inch as it scooted over.

Bombing at speed, stuff happens. Slow speed rock crawling this will probably be great.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Based on the bash marks on my front plate, this would get destroyed, but what do I know.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ah thanks for confirming the approach angle. I am going to still measure it formally but I look at pics and was pretty sure it had not been affected.
Not plausible without measurement.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great! Love the free-spool lever extension you created.

Any concerns of you storing that plastic bag under the hood, it might melt under extreme heat?

Wizbangdoodle

Wildtrak
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can confirm that this does not decrease clearance or angle. I installed this about 2 months ago. As stated by the OP, I did not find a solution that did not require a bunch of relocation of sensors or reduce/eliminate functions. Plus, it's a lot cheaper. The winch from Ford was something like $3500 and eliminated the front sensor, rendering the adaptive cruise inoperable. It also partially blocked the camera. No thanks.

This RC unit is a nice compromise, especially for guys like me who don't do any serious wheeling. I might go out and play a bit, but I'm not pushing any limits. Pretty much plan on using this to pull myself or others out of the snow or other "mistakes" that are made.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By measurement or observation?

The ‘standard’ was to measure is from tire to contact point
Once again I don’t have a raptor but having done this a minute 37” tires & lift would make my approach angle BETTER, not worse

is the front frame of the raptor different?

Do spoon bill front bumpers stick out further than factory???

I don’t know if the lobo works for y’all.
I do know a winch I may use that doesn’t change my approach angel or lose functions is better than none, OR better than a spoonbill.

If I had to winch as often as some of you I probably would buy a buffet object to drive

I don’t enjoy pulling wire or rope all day

note the hook can be moved to a shackle or I can put a smaller one

IMG_2883.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

bear’s Bronc

Big Bend
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Any issues installing the hidden winch on a capable bumper ?

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@isaacfinnegan, @Wizbangdoodle, @Dougmhoward

Very curious if all of the claims of no loss of ground clearance AND no loss of approach angle with this system have been verified by actual measurements. Please let us know. TIA.

TruckCamper

Base
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250 on 37s. 2021 Tacoma (manual)
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Dougmhoward - Do you have any pictures of the relocation modifications and what parts were used?

We just bought a Raptor and I'd like to fit the LOBO hidden winch mount. I'd love to learn from your experience before digging in.

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Raptor; 2023 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Why not use a portable winch in lieu of hanging 150lbs+ on the front of the vehicle 24x7?
I’ve been considering this but everyone says front is best and the only portables I’ve seen connect to the rear hitch.

TruckCamper

Base
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250 on 37s. 2021 Tacoma (manual)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve been considering this but everyone says front is best and the only portables I’ve seen connect to the rear hitch.
Portables suck. Terrible option. Maybe for a farm truck that needs to swap between rigs. Absolutely ruins clearance. Heavy. Awkward. Floppy in a 2" receiver. No thanks.

We have the LOBO hidden winch on our 2dr Bronco. It is ideal. Extremely low CG. Has access for reaching the clutch from the side. No ground clearance loss. No intercooler block. No approach angle reduction. No radiator obstruction. Or camera or sensors or whatever else these trucks have.

timrobporter

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Raptor; 2023 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Portables suck. Terrible option. Maybe for a farm truck that needs to swap between rigs. Absolutely ruins clearance. Heavy. Awkward. Floppy in a 2" receiver. No thanks.

We have the LOBO hidden winch on our 2dr Bronco. It is ideal. Extremely low CG. Has access for reaching the clutch from the side. No ground clearance loss. No intercooler block. No approach angle reduction. No radiator obstruction. Or camera or sensors or whatever else these trucks have.
Yeah I like the LOBO. I’ve spoken to Chris and am considering this. Just hate that parts of the frame have to get cut up for these hidden winches but I don’t really like any other solutions.
Sponsored