First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After coming back from a Colorado road trip in early July, I found a half dollar size oil spot on the garage floor. So I crawled underneath to see oil dripping off a transmission case bolt. Took it to the dealer and they traced it all the way up top to a small cover with gasket at the back of the engine. Warranty work done today. Service tech described it as a camshaft extension cover? Wish I had a schematic showing this part that had a gasket fail.

DSC01046.JPG

DSC01056.JPG
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That’s just the valve cover gasket. Not sure why they called it a cylinder head extension gasket. Common issue on some 2.3’s.

Also not sure why it says they removed the intake manifold, because that’s certainly not necessary 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco 2.3 oil leak-top back of the engine IMG_1881

Ford Bronco 2.3 oil leak-top back of the engine IMG_1882

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wilbur's son

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That’s just the valve cover gasket. Not sure why they called it a cylinder head extension gasket. Common issue on some 2.3’s.

Also not sure why it says they removed the intake manifold, because that’s certainly not necessary 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
Wilbur's son

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I still don't understand what the tech was saying. What I thought I heard him say was that a small extension cover was needed because the 2.3 engine had mismatched parts on the head to block. I don't get it.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I still don't understand what the tech was saying. What I thought I heard him say was that a small extension cover was needed because the 2.3 engine had mismatched parts on the head to block. I don't get it.
I’m not sure what any of that means either.
The only gaskets listed on that work order are for valve cover itself and the high pressure fuel pump (which needs to be removed to get the valve cover off) so I’m just guessing that’s all that was replaced.
There is also one EGR tube gasket which was needed when they removed the intake manifold for whatever reason.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Wilbur's son

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
UPDATE 8/29 Back at the dealership with more oil leaking. This time they want to keep it for a while to figure it out. Obviously the previous work didn't solve the issue. New pics attached from Sunday grocery run (14 miles).

DSC01062.JPG

DSC01063.JPG

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
UPDATE 8/29 Back at the dealership with more oil leaking. This time they want to keep it for a while to figure it out. Obviously the previous work didn't solve the issue. New pics attached from Sunday grocery run (14 miles).

Ford Bronco 2.3 oil leak-top back of the engine DSC01063.JPG

Ford Bronco 2.3 oil leak-top back of the engine DSC01063.JPG
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP
Wilbur's son

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
An update to my update post. The original service work done on the top of the engine is dry and shows no sign of leakage. Good news. Bad news, oil is still coming from somewhere. As a secondary issue, I asked the service manager to evaluate noises from my manual transmission. Service now has me scheduled to perform the manual trans TSB 23-2019 syncro fix in a couple of weeks. At that time, with the transmission removed they will be able to examine exactly where the oil is coming from. Feels good to hopefully get 2 issues resolved at the same time.
Sponsored