BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For context:
- 2.3 Auto BD, 2.4k miles
- Followed 1000 mile break in
- Turbo pressure seemed normal compared to other 2.3 Broncos driven

Having an issue (I think) where the Turbo does not build any pressure(e.g. 0 up to 3-4k RPM).. it will build up to ~5-7 lbs of pressure at higher RPM (really have to get on the throttle). The blowoff seems suppressed and power seems to be below what it used to be.

Checked some of the hoses visually and did not see any loose clamp/holes. Scheduled time with a dealer for them to check it out.

Has anyone experienced this? / What's the impact on the engine if the turbo is not assisting if I drive it?
Sponsored

Last edited:

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

not much harm can come to it, it'll just be down on power. ECU's are pretty good about going "oh, I'm only getting X amount of air, i'll only dump Y amount of fuel)

Things it could be though:

wastegate stuck/malfunctioning
boost leak (intake hoses or charge pipes)
intercooler issue (pinhole leak or something)

Not sure that you're seeing regular boost pressure though. even getting a tiny bit on the throttle and running it up to 4-5k, i'll see 7-10 psi. flooring it and running up to redline it will consistently hit 16-19 psi.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2600 miles 2.3 Sasquatch auto 4dr only 87 octane - I’m not experiencing anything like your description. I see boost at every RPM if I’m accelerating, even slight acceleration shows 1-3 lbs of boost.

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One time hit gas & brake simultaniously(dont ask why), in eco mode; and the screen came up with a prompt "Power reduced - Ok". And so i learned, never do that again.
Did you do that?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Djd7

Djd7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

One time hit gas & brake simultaniously(dont ask why), in eco mode; and the screen came up with a prompt "Power reduced - Ok". And so i learned, never do that again.
Did you do that?
Nope

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For context:

Having an issue (I think) where the Turbo does not build any pressure(e.g. 0 up to 3-4k RPM).. it will build up to ~5-7 lbs of pressure at higher RPM (really have to get on the throttle). The blowoff seems suppressed and power seems to be below what it used to be.

Checked some of the hoses visually and did not see any loose clamp/holes. Scheduled time with a dealer for them to check it out.

Has anyone experienced this? / What's the impact on the engine if the turbo is not assisting if I drive it?
Have dealer look at it

jphillips2

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Supercrew 4x4 Sport 3.5 ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For context:

Did you have any lights? My BB 2.3 Auto received an MIL light and a Reduced Power light. The code is for Wastegate Stuck Open. Same exact symptoms as you. Power feels ok, but not what it should be. Boost will NOT exceed 7 no matter what and is usually in the 0-2 range.

I removed the c-clip and rod to wastegate and was able to move the rod manually. I then put it all together with the wastegate in the open position. I also reset the codes. Within a minute of driving I got the codes again, and check to see if the wastegate had actually closed back...which it had.

Dealership confirmed the same things. The computer only tells them to "Repair as necessary" so they ordered a new electronic actuator (these are not vacuum controlled like others) to try first. Been waiting over a week for it to come in. If that doesn't work, he said he'll start tracing down wiring to see if something is amiss.

This started with 110 miles on it. Now has 1600. Drivability has still been good, just seems a little down on power and fuel mileage seems to be a little lower than what it should be.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you do that?
Weird I thought that's how you take screenshots from the front cam.

Sponsored

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Djd7 Did you get resolution on this? Having similar issue.

Bmisk19

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Grand Marquis
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This happened to me at 50 miles actually- dealer had to replace the entire turbo.

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm having the same issue. Light acceleration from 0 to 50 and I can see zero boost the entire time. If put a little more throttle into it I can get 2-5psi. If I mash the pedal to the floor I may see 12Psi. Sport mode mash will go to 15psi. It's just strange. I remember when I got it at 155miles on the OD if you just tapped the throttle it would make boost. I'm also experiencing a sluggishness, shudder of maybe the trans. When cruising At almost any speed the trans just wants to upshift, and the rpms fall to 1200-1500 and then it shakes or shudders cause there's not enough power to keep the speed. It's like when starting a stick shift off in 2nd or 3rd.

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I also noticed a couple days ago when the auto start stop kicks on and the truck shuts off, the boost gauge on the display keeps flip flopping between 0.0 and 0.1 continuously until I let off the brake and the truck turns back on.

OP
OP
Djd7

Djd7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have had no success with one dealer. The techs wrote it up as "operating normally" as it has some boost.. but not the same. Need to have them test drive a mannequin and ours side-by-side.

Has anyone had codes come up? seems like there have been ~15 unique reports of this on B6G so far.
Sponsored