Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ALWAYS skip IL! Plus you coulda gone through Redbird state rec area in IN (there's a Jeep badge for it now I guess)! Woulda left just the CHI area to deal with! Missed Ya in Tomah Friday!
I was trying to negotiate with myself to stop but it was like 6PM when I got there and I still had to get to my hotel in MN.
Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks for posting. Sounds like a great trip. Too bad to go anywhere in this great country you have to experience the crap too!

Spotted Cows and Curds. I would have left the hat on the rack!

I tend to navigate IL (Chicago) around 2 am on my way from WI to OH. The Dan Ryan Expressway says 45 mph but there must be a 2X written somewhere that I can see with my eyes. During the day it's a divide by 2!

Supposedly south central WI is getting a Buc-ee's. Sounds like a place to miss. The Dells (Super CEL Wisconsin) is similar to Dollywood but water rides and river cruises on WWII Ducks.

Since it is down to just my wife and I, 2 doors will be more than enough room. I do wish it had dual tanks like my Lightning. That made really poor gas mileage almost palatable.

Looking forward to doing the trip out west again in the Bronco instead of the Lexus ES350. The Lexus is great on the road and gets great gas mileage but the ground clearance isn't much to brag about.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would not write off Buccees. You just happened to go to one that recently opened.

OfficialStorm

Wildtrak
First Name
Storm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've been to Buc-ee's in TN and it was still pretty packed but nothing insane. I always try to find a reason to make a road trip route around a Buc-ees because stopping there is surreal, haha.
Don't write them off!

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been to Buc-ee's in TN and it was still pretty packed but nothing insane. I always try to find a reason to make a road trip route around a Buc-ees because stopping there is surreal, haha.
Don't write them off!
Apparently we hit them at the worst possible time.

Sponsored

OfficialStorm

Wildtrak
First Name
Storm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Apparently we hit them at the worst possible time.
Sounds like it, we were traveling during thanksgiving weekend which is the busiest I've ever seen the interstate in my life.. yet it sounds like you had a way worse experience. As someone else said, may have been that you went to one that recently opened.

STX Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SuperCrew 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We got Buc-ee’s all over down here. It’s got a cult following for sure. It’s ok… my wife and kids love it and will stop by every chance they can. They started out a small establishment and have grown bigger and bigger each new one built. It’s a privately owned deal.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great post!! Sounds like an epic trip for sure.

I had to laugh at the Buc-ees part. In May I was in Nashville for a week at a conference. I had a Buc-ees shirt on the day I flew. Someone at the car rental desk said they heard of the store but never went because it was 2 hours away in Crossville. Wwwwhaaatttt you have one in Tennessee????

I got my car and a couple hours later I was basking in the glory of Buc-ees! I loaded up on shirts, jerky and beaver nuggets…oh yeah and a brisket sandwich. LOVE that place!!!😁

D6812823-F38E-4166-91D9-ACAD73ABC841.jpeg

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We got Buc-ee’s all over down here. It’s got a cult following for sure. It’s ok… my wife and kids love it and will stop by every chance they can. They started out a small establishment and have grown bigger and bigger each new one built. It’s a privately owned deal.
Yeah, I heard the original one in Bastrop is like a 7-11. Now they're like the old Woody's on steroids, 50k sq ft or larger.

We've got a Buc-ees here in Denton, across the freeway in fact. They have good gas and decent prices on beer and a decent car wash (they don't all have car washes). Most of the hot food isn't great, although the fried chicken sandwich can be excellent and the sausage on a stick is generally pretty good. The goods section sells generally pretty good stuff. They also have great ice. And of course the bathrooms are very well maintained.

Definitely agree it's a bit of cult, or at least a sucking sound that draws you to it. There's two when I go to Houston on 45, about 90m apart, so I'll go to both just to break up the 4hr drive. On holiday weekends when people are on the highways, that's when it's stupid busy. I like to start early to beat the cramped highways in general and Buc-ees isn't too bad.

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great post!! Sounds like an epic trip for sure.

I had to laugh at the Buc-ees part. In May I was in Nashville for a week at a conference. I had a Buc-ees shirt on the day I flew. Someone at the car rental desk said they heard of the store but never went because it was 2 hours away in Crossville. Wwwwhaaatttt you have one in Tennessee????

I got my car and a couple hours later I was basking in the glory of Buc-ees! I loaded up on shirts, jerky and beaver nuggets…oh yeah and a brisket sandwich. LOVE that place!!!😁

Ford Bronco 2 doors, 3 people, 17 days, 6000 miles D6812823-F38E-4166-91D9-ACAD73ABC841
My wife has videos of the chaos, I'll have to see if I can upload them. It's probably pretty cool once it calms down. I guess this one has only been open a few weeks?

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stopped at Buc-ee's and that was a circus event. Never again. Bumper to bumper, no parking, pumps full, got trapped at the pumps by people that left their cars anywhere they could fit to go inside. Pure anarchy.
My wife has videos of the chaos, I'll have to see if I can upload them. It's probably pretty cool once it calms down. I guess this one has only been open a few weeks?
Was it this new one in Sevierville, which just opened a few weeks ago?

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

First buc-ees I saw was while visiting my brother in TX. Didn’t seem like a big deal to folks from there so I bet your right, it was probably new and filled with bozos like me who traveled hours to get there. Lol

Im from WA state and by the governors decree, we aren’t allowed to have any fun here. 😁
Sponsored