l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

cool! i had been contemplating a road trip to my old stomping grounds in the spokane area this summer, but the wife doesn't have enough leave available.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

cool! i had been contemplating a road trip to my old stomping grounds in the spokane area this summer, but the wife doesn't have enough leave available.
When were you there last? It's gotten pretty bad, can't wait to get out.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When were you there last? It's gotten pretty bad, can't wait to get out.
i was recalled from the area (while in transit home from there)
when all our TDY activities got shut down at the beginning of C19.

i remember lots of smoke and the dim orange sun at noon because of all the forest fires.

Sponsored

Svanhildr

Black Diamond
First Name
Christal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Once was enough for me, and yep ... never again!

Sounds like a good trip otherwise, originally from Middle Tennessee and used to go up to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area quite a bit but it's definitely a tourist trap!
I drove past there heading to Super Cel and it was a complete no-go for me. Glad I skipped it!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have not even been to the new Buc-ee's , but I know better :) I did drive by it on Saturday going to NC for the day. Sounds like you had a great trip except for having to traverse IL, I don't miss living there one bit. Its been a while since I have been back to WI, I do miss that state though, might try to get a UP MI trip some time so I can drive through.

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i was recalled from the area (while in transit home from there)
when all our TDY activities got shut down at the beginning of C19.

i remember lots of smoke and the dim orange sun at noon because of all the forest fires.
Ah, that happens almost every summer.

Svanhildr

Black Diamond
First Name
Christal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Finally home and I'm beat!

With careful packing, we left the house with all the luggage contained behind the rear seats. About a week in one of them had to be laid down to fit everything.

Our first stop was Yellowstone Park and we reached Old Faithful just minutes before the eruption. Got amazing mileage through the park and after being limited to speeds between 45-55, my miles to empty showed 394 (on just 16.9 gallons remember) after the next fill up. That didn't last long.

The next morning was a Mt Rushmore pitstop, then the grueling slog through SD. Speeds of 80-85 slashed my mileage to 14. The Bestop was deafening, it's comfortable limit is about 75.

Kept grinding out the miles until we reached Nashville. Visited Broadway and had hot chicken at Prince's. Trust their hotness scale, it's accurate. I didn't and suffered through the pain, grabbing a milkshake at Hattie Jane's to survive. Later we watched the fireworks which were pretty badass.

The it was off to Chattanooga, where we took the Ruby Falls cave tour and rode the Lookout Mountain Incline Railway. Cruised up Signal Mountain to look around. Did some touring around the city, we liked it a lot.

Next it was off to the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon on the scenic route to Knoxville. Upon arriving to Knoxville my cumulative MPG average was 17.6, not too shabby.

Spent the next day at Windrock, amazing fun to be had there. Mileage dropped to 17.1 after just that day of crawling around. Did some other sightseeing but Knoxville kind of reminded us of home and we weren't digging it. Then it was off to Sevierville.

Stopped at Buc-ee's and that was a circus event. Never again. Bumper to bumper, no parking, pumps full, got trapped at the pumps by people that left their cars anywhere they could fit to go inside. Pure anarchy.

Spent a couple days at Dollywood. Also never again. They have severe ride reliability problems, stood in line for ages for nothing over and over again. Joe's Crab Shack was the highlight of that stop.

On our way up to the Tri-Cities we stopped at the Forbidden Caverns, and once there we saw the Appalachian Caverns.

We started picking our way north and mileage was looking pretty good, got up to 17.8. I recommend skipping Illinois, just awful from start to finish. Once into Wisconsin we stopped at Ehlenbach's Cheese Chalet and got New Glarus, curds, and a cheesehead. Passed by the Dells but didn't have time to swing into the Super Cel. Kept the pedal down and slept in Minnesota. The next day brought the dreaded South Dakota and 14 MPG back. We stopped at the Badlands and Wall Drug and feed prairie dogs peanuts. The awful mileage lasted all the way through Montana.

I used normal, eco, and sport off and on and noticed zero difference in mileage. Finished with an average of 16.7 over 6k. Never once used 6th as it put me in boost too much.

My grindy transmission survived. Time to start hounding the dealer to get it fixed.

This may be my last trip with it. I'll be selling it later this year as I've realized I'd much rather have a 1G and having both isn't feasible.

PXL_20230708_174644027.jpg

PXL_20230708_135156086.jpg

PXL_20230715_225523494.jpg

PXL_20230707_180648105~2.jpg
Sounds like a generally awesome trip! Recently came back to Michigan from South Dakota, myself and had a great time! It was odd to be the slow driver since I was conserving my fuel 😂

I've noticed I can get a few extra mpg out of Eco Mode, so I try to use that and stick to 79mph.

Since you took on the Tail in NC, did you do Iron Mountain Rd in SD? I found out about it on accident, but had to do it since I did the tail.

20230704_181648.jpg

20230704_182038.jpg

20230704_125929.jpg

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The next morning was a Mt Rushmore pitstop, then the grueling slog through SD. Speeds of 80-85 slashed my mileage to 14. The Bestop was deafening, it's comfortable limit is about 75.

Kept grinding out the miles until we reached Nashville.
Nothing between Mt. Rushmore and Nashville? I could have helped you with some recommended to-do items, as I've been both east and west. You missed the world's largest ball of twine! 😁

OP
OP
Tricky Mike

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing between Mt. Rushmore and Nashville? I could have helped you with some recommended to-do items, as I've been both east and west. You missed the world's largest ball of twine! 😁
Just a super sketchy motel in Sioux City, that was enough adventure itself.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just a super sketchy motel in Sioux City, that was enough adventure itself.
As a former resident and growing up in that area, I can attest to those sketchy motels and is the reason why I bring a sleeping bag and crash at one of the bigger rest areas that the truckers like.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ALWAYS skip IL! Plus you coulda gone through Redbird state rec area in IN (there's a Jeep badge for it now I guess)! Woulda left just the CHI area to deal with! Missed Ya in Tomah Friday!

Red Squatch

Heritage
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra convertible
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Once was enough for me, and yep ... never again!

Sounds like a good trip otherwise, originally from Middle Tennessee and used to go up to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area quite a bit but it's definitely a tourist trap!
First time I've ever heard of Buc-ee's sounds like a car crash, you should stay away but you can't help yourself.
Sponsored