Banned
Banned
First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
blazer, dodge van, dodge tradesman, left ford 10 years ago
The troller would sell , but I'm sure ford will screw this one up! we will see another another me too gutless suv, soccer mom 4 door version. all wheel drive, 10 speed transmission, total electric so it will stay in the shop! Instead of a true off road machine. with 4wd for bad weather and off road and 2wd for highway driving, Jeep has the ticket!!!
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The troller would sell , but I'm sure ford will screw this one up! we will see another another me too gutless suv, soccer mom 4 door version. all wheel drive, 10 speed transmission, total electric so it will stay in the shop! Instead of a true off road machine. with 4wd for bad weather and off road and 2wd for highway driving, Jeep has the ticket!!!
I'm glad for all our sakes that you are wrong. There are a lot of threads in this forum describing the known differences between the Bronco and "baby bronco" and heck even the Mach E if that's what you are referring to.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why are you here then?

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No major manufacturer has yet explored the advantages of electric motive power as it applies to 4 wheel drive performance. The benefits are varied and immense, and the engineering is trivial at this stage of advancement in automotive design. The only barrier is public ignorance, it won't be accepted because we are endlessly bombarded with the theory that the only way to get offroad performance is with ridiculous horsepower and astronomical gear reduction ratios. Neither are necessary with one of many possible forms of electric assistance in the powertrain.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No major manufacturer has yet explored the advantages of electric motive power as it applies to 4 wheel drive performance. The benefits are varied and immense, and the engineering is trivial at this stage of advancement in automotive design. The only barrier is public ignorance, it won't be accepted because we are endlessly bombarded with the theory that the only way to get offroad performance is with ridiculous horsepower and astronomical gear reduction ratios. Neither are necessary with one of many possible forms of electric assistance in the powertrain.
Eh, not so sure it is going to be as hard of a sell as you are thinking. Pure electric, quite likely hard sell. Hybrid, shouldn't be bad.

The reason we prefer gobs of horsepower and stupidly low gearing is.....torque. Which is were electric excels, all torque available 'at idle'. Make one, show it to not just be worthy of being an off-road vehicle, but to be a f'ing beast, and it'll sell. As long as it is done right. reliable, strong. If it breaks too much, doesn't last long, etc, it'll fall flat on it's face. Of course, that's one of the concerns with electric and off-road. That includes being submerged in water for long periods of time, so it'll have to be properly sealed which would be difficult as it isn't solid state, and much be open to air flow for cooling and rotating axles/driveshafts.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I hold some hope that you're right about public acceptance. I just wish someone would jump off that ledge and make it happen in a spectacular way as you suggest - no fail, over-the-top performance.

Using any of several cooling technologies other than air for an in-hub motor wouldn't be impossible - or even difficult. And an oil-cooled marine-spec motor also solves the first issue you mention, water immersion.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
no fail, over-the-top performance
"Energy" might be the biggest business in the world today...and the Holy Grail within that endeavor is energy storage. While resi users pay the same to run the dishwasher at 3pm or 3am, industry is pretty much tied to 'time of use' rate structures...huge incentive to 'peak shave'. We'll hopefully see blinding-speed innovation in that arena in the next 10-20 years. So it's not unlike buying a PC in the early 1990s - when totally new stuff came out almost every Thursday.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The better performance is in not carrying batteries. ICE->generator->drive motors. When light, energy-dense batteries make it to market someday, batteries will make sense. The aviation industry is working on it and automobiles will benefit from the trickle-down from that, but they're a long way off.

Where I live, almost all users (those over 600kWh/mo) are on a demand-based variable-rate electric plan. I was under 600kWh since I moved into this house, then my girlfriend's daughter and boyfriend moved in with us for a couple months - just that couple months of additional use will put my annual monthly average above the limit and push me into a time-based plan for the next year. From 11.672 cents per kWh 24/7 to the new plan at 10.873 cents per kWh off peak/24.314 cents on peak in the summer.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The better performance is in not carrying batteries. ICE->generator->drive motors. When light, energy-dense batteries make it to market someday, batteries will make sense. The aviation industry is working on it and automobiles will benefit from the trickle-down from that, but they're a long way off. ...
The advantages of electric motors have been known for about as long as internal combustion has been in use. The downfall of electrics has been batteries for the last 100+ years, and I'm doubtful we'll make economically competitive batteries for performance and endurance vehicle use in the next decade. As a daily commuter vehicle, sure, if the weather doesn't kill them.

Maybe unicorn batteries will be the incentive for us to go mine precious/rare metals from asteroids or wherever.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I cant pretend to know that we are at the limit of battery tech, but I do know that Lithium is one of the lightest elements so I am not sure how much energy density could be improved, let alone cost. Moving on down to Hydrogen you get the lightest element that can be useful for energy storage and ironically you can store more hydrogen in a gallon of gas/diesel than in a gallon of liquid hydrogen. Personally I think the future is hydrogen "batteries" and by battery I mean hydrocarbon fuel ;). What people often forget (especially those in charge of our environmental regulations) is that you can synthesize a great variety of hydrocarbon fuels using renewable/nuclear energy. Of course this is not cost competitive with pump fuel now, but if the overlords are going to shove a "solution" down our throats I'd like it to be something truly viable and beneficial to both the environment and consumer

bigrod

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
blazer, dodge van, dodge tradesman, left ford 10 years ago
I'm glad for all our sakes that you are wrong. There are a lot of threads in this forum describing the known differences between the Bronco and "baby bronco" and heck even the Mach E if that's what you are referring to.
Im glad you KNOW all the differences of what is offered on the broncos, and baby broncos, why don't you show us those pictures and spec sheets.

I have bled blue my whole life, owned 74,76,89,94 broncos (the 94 wire harness shorted out in the first 500 miles, left me stranded in Lano TX), 65.66,70 mustangs, 78 tbird hertitage, multiple Lincolns, marks, town cars, I spent a lot of time working on all my fords. I just wish ford would build something to bring me back to blue!!!! As far as an electric version, I have never seen a tree at a deer camp with a plug to charge my hybrid. Just keep wishing!!!! Ford will let you down again.

Why am I here, Hoping just hoping someone at ford is listening to these forums. who gives a shit about turbos, dirt will kill them too, it's just a way to breath fire into a wimpy little 4cyl. the 70's broncos ought to have showed them that , we saw gutless wonders that wouldn't last 100k miles. trannys blew, and motors blew. a black eye for ford.

I now have a 97 blazer, government issue, manual transfer case, crank windows, a real impressive v6, (first v6 I have ever owned). its an amazing little 4wd, shame they didn't revive it.
Sponsored