First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m new to offroading but want to get into some hard stuff. What added armor will my Bronco need?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rory Shields

Badlands
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok thank you! It gets a little confusing with all the info out there, glad to get some clarity. I’ve got broncbuster tie rod braces and lower control arm skids coming, but if trans protection is the more pressing issue I’ll focus on getting that done.

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Your BaseSquatch will not have any armor at all. You will need front, engine/diff, trans, and transfer case. I would also add rock rails. About the only protection that yours comes with is for the fuel tank.

you can often find lightly used factory skid plates on member marketplace on here or facebook marketplace. You can also cut down the factory rock rails from a 4-door to fit you 2-door.

OP
OP

Rory Shields

Badlands
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I’ve got the Badlands with the Sasquatch package. I thought that came with some factory protection.

Sponsored

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Badlands does not come with trans skid. If you go off road there are scenarios where you could very well need both. Maybe not the same day, but maybe the same trip. We have both and of the two I would opt for a transmission skid first.T his based on my perceived needs.

In our Kansas fields there are corn stalks, big tumble weeds, hidden tree limbs and snow drifts that could build up in the cavern that the trans skid helps cover up. We also have gone off road where a little bouncing took place and where a deep rut or rock shelf changed the front wheels direction quickly. We were glad to have the extra strength of the tie rod braces.

OP
OP

Rory Shields

Badlands
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m in the Appalachian Mountains on the border of Va and WV. Most of what I’ve been seeing on the trail is rock crawling in mountain forests. Thankfully not too much brush or produce to get lodged anywhere. I’m thinking the trans skid and the rear shock mounts.

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That should be a good choice.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I’ve got the Badlands with the Sasquatch package. I thought that came with some factory protection.
It does have the top skid package, and the 2dr has a gas tank skid or I would have also called that out if you had a 4dr which does not have it. He misread badsquatch for basesquatch.

IMO control arm and diff skids are a complete waste, focus on the underbelly first.

OP
OP

Rory Shields

Badlands
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotcha, transmission and belly first. I’ve already got the control arm skids coming so that’ll just be what it is. Transmission will be next.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What engine????

A 2.3 does not have the crossmembers hanging down but a 2.7 does.

Ford Bronco 2023 2 Door Badsquatch Armor 1702594507216

These can take some damage but the rocket scientist who decided they need to be there also found it prudent to put a big lip on them to catch everything you try to drive over. Some companies make a skid for these but that will kill some ground clearance.

That transmission pan the others have talked about is just behind the crossmembers. Make sure at minimum that gets covered. 😁

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i miss read and thought it said basesquatch.

kpark_67

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other than trans armor, your steering rack and tie rods are your weakest parts if you want to get into some harder stuff on the rocks. You WILL break yours "in the hard stuff". You have a cheaper or more expensive route.

With the cheaper route you have two companies to choose from: BroncBuster or 74Weld. Both offer a bushing for the pinion side and an complete end cap for the other side. Those are the weakest points of the steering rack. Personally, I think the 74Weld option is better AND cheaper option ($1000 vs $1500).

The more expensive route, but by far the strongest, is only through 74Weld. They take your Hoss 2.0 or Hoss 3.0 steering rack guts and put them into their completely re-engineered, billet rack.

On both options I would recommend replacing the stock tie rods, as opposed to buying braces. There are a lot of options there. Ford, Icon and a few others (I think) offer a better than stock traditional tie rod. There are also heim joint options. Each have their good and bad points. The Ford performance option is $320.

Other than the trans skid, this is THE biggest upgrade to make sure you are able to drive off the rocks instead of calling for recovery.

kpark_67

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One last thing. You will get the stock Rock Sliders on yours but I highly recommend getting something stronger that also gives your doors some extra protection from rocks being kicked up by your tires. Frame mounted is stronger than body mounted but there are some fairly strong once that body mount. Steps that stick out or down will get hung up on rocks. It would be best if the sliders stick out about 6 inches and have a mostly solid top to give the doors protection from rock chips.

SeptuagenarianSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rory Shields /OP/I see you're in the East. Okay, southeast, still, "East," as opposed to the more distant West. I'm in New England, and one thing we share is: highly foliated (i.e. trees & bushes) trails. So you might want to consider body armor.
You might consider the MEK Magnet Body Armor (link, below) to protect your truck's sides (and maybe hood, optional). Since there's very little steel on the Bronco body, it comes with an adhesive backing. I put it on mine, and went through overgrown, overhanging Vermont trails without a scratch--literally. It comes in various designs, and I do get complemented on the topographic design I chose.

Some caution: the adhesive is very strong. Don't opt for the heavy-duty version, you won't need it. And although the lady on the demo version is perky and fast, installation is tricky: it is very definitely a two-man, four-hand job. I can't emphasize that enough. The demo lady has probably done it dozens of times, and you (and I) haven't. And getting those bubbles out is quite a chore.

But: it's really tough, looks great, and offers your paint very serious protection.

https://www.mekmagnet.com/products/mek-removable-trail-armor-bronco

This image is off their website, the "toppo" design I chose:
Ford Bronco 2023 2 Door Badsquatch Armor 1702707678078

PS: If you haven't figured it out yet, off-roading can be an awfully expensive hobby!
Sponsored