First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee LtdX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just picked up my 2024 Wildtrak with a tow package 6 weeks ago. After a 2 hr drive to pick it up, the dealer hadn’t installed the factory tow package. It was on the window sticker correctly. I accepted delivery and would bring it back at the first oil change for the install. Now they say they need it 6 hours because they have to run the wiring harness up to the front?! They say that’s a change from 2023…that the ‘23s had the wiring preinstalled but the ‘24s do not. This doesn’t sound right. Aren’t these pre wired from the factory so the dealer has a simple install prior to delivery? Anyone have knowledge on this? Thanks!
Sponsored

Peepers

Outer Banks
First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had the dealership install the tow package on my 24 OB. It was listed as a dealer installed option but had not been put on. Took them about 30 minutes to install it including both the 7 and 4 plugs.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard it was the other way around, the wiring is preinstalled. I think maybe even all the models?, in 2024. So all they need to do is install and connect. Are they trying to charge you for the install time? if so, it should be covered by the purchase.

FFbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m picking up my 24 Black Diamond this Saturday after ordering it 7 months ago. The salesman said they are installing the tow hitch today. So, I thought the same thing! If I added this as an option 7 months ago, Why isn’t this installed at the factory! So weird.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m picking up my 24 Black Diamond this Saturday after ordering it 7 months ago. The salesman said they are installing the tow hitch today. So, I thought the same thing! If I added this as an option 7 months ago, Why isn’t this installed at the factory! So weird.
From what I understand, dealer installed options (DIO) are provided by the factory but fitted/installed after delivery. Like mud flaps, floor mats, etc, things I guess they consider part of make ready. They were supposed to be installed pre-2024 at the factory, but there were a lot of issues getting them so a lot got installed by dealers anyway. I suppose they thought this was good enough, and part of why I thought they were wiring all the models.

Sponsored

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford changed it for 2024. The tow package is now a dealer installed option. All the wiring is pre run. The only thing that has to happen is that the left rear load space panel has to be moved enough to plug in the tow harness and the rear bumper has to come off to install the hitch and 7-pin plug. Also the option has to be turned on with the FDRS program. I'm a dealer tech and I took my 2024 OBX home on Mar 15. On Mar 17 I installed all the tow components in less than 30 mins.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My salesman said my 2024 tow package actually beat my bronco to the dealership and they installed it in about an hour while I did the paperwork.

LCW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How lame that it's a dealer installed option in '24. Glad my '23 had it on from the factory. The dealer I bought from (a mile from my house) are absolutely useless, so the less they need to touch the vehicle the better.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How lame that it's a dealer installed option in '24. Glad my '23 had it on from the factory. The dealer I bought from (a mile from my house) are absolutely useless, so the less they need to touch the vehicle the better.
Near impossible to screw up. Wiring is already there.

Utah Todd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BroncoBadlands 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I purchased my 23 it didn't have the tow option. I purchased all the necessary parts from Ford and installed it myself. There was wiring that had to be installed in the driver rear interior quarter as well as wiring had to be ran the full length of the vehicle and was plugged in up in the driver front fender area. My understanding is that the 24's with the option ordered had all that wiring pre-installed and all you had to do was put the plug in on the interior driver side rear quarter and bolt on the hitch itself by taking off the rear bumper. Hopefully that helps.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Morton2020

Morton2020

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee LtdX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had the dealership install the tow package on my 24 OB. It was listed as a dealer installed option but had not been put on. Took them about 30 minutes to install it including both the 7 and 4 plugs.
I've heard it was the other way around, the wiring is preinstalled. I think maybe even all the models?, in 2024. So all they need to do is install and connect. Are they trying to charge you for the install time? if so, it should be covered by the purchase.
Not charging for it. Was included in the purchase and shown on the sticker. What I was questioning is the 6 hour install time I was given 'because they needed to run the full wiring to the front'

My salesman said my 2024 tow package actually beat my bronco to the dealership and they installed it in about an hour while I did the paperwork.
For those following this, I changed my search terms and found another thread that gave good info on this also: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2024-trailer-tow-kit-new-ford-accessory-part.88899/

Thanks all for the feedback. I took the '24 Wildtrak in for the first service and hitch install this morning. They did this in the bay right across from the waiting area, so got to watch the process. Everything noted by others is correct. Wiring is preinstalled. They removed the cargo floor and worked behind the drivers side quarter panel cover for few minutes. Took the bumper off, took off a factory bracket with the harness attached, installed the hitch and torqued it, added the 4/7pin connectors from the kit, put the bumper back on and reassembled the cargo area. The tech then worked on the computer for several minutes to change the programming. Took about 40 minutes because the tech was training someone. Pretty quick and professional. The salesperson obviously gave me incorrect info. Short and sweet. They even gave me a tank of gas for having to bring it back in for the hitch install.

Combustion_King

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i got mine with no tow package, due to restrictions at the time and got the factory one after. Then installed it myself/ That took close to 6 hours no question about it. lol its brutal

The pre wired setup must be soooo nice, i had to take all kinds of panels off, run and solder wires to the lights etc. the dealer would've charged me an arm and leg if i had them do it.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is my understanding and I read an automotive review that said the same thing. Aka 2nd hand knowledge from a Ford engineer.

Tortuga

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Now they say they need it 6 hours because they have to run the wiring harness up to the front?!
I am amazed that some dealers still try to just "wing it" with customers instead of actually saying "I don't know, let me find out for you". Back in the day they could get away with it because there were not online communities that collectively know A LOT about a make or model.
I get it, sales is the name of the game, but so is follow-on servicing, referrals, trade-ins, and repeat sales. There's too many dealers to go to for me to put up with one that would rather give me a quick incorrect answer than ask me to wait for the correct answer.

Oh, I took delivery of my '24 OBX SAS last week. I watched it come off the carrier on a Thursday without the tow package, the customer order manager made sure the tow package was installed over the weekend during dealer prep so that it wasn't an issue when I picked it up Monday AM. He said it was only a 30min job for one tech.

Cux211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ram 2500 Laramie blackout cummins
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just picked my 24 badlands up on 3/30 all of the wiring is there with exception of the plugs so the dealer just mounted the hitch and installed the plugs
Sponsored