235/85-16 on Base?

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As a lifelong fan of the OG Bronco I'm looking to mod my new one to have some of the visual cues of the OG. As such, pizza cutters are mandatory along with high profile rubber on steel rims. The tires I keep coming back to are 235/85-16 but I have some reservations about them.

How will handling be effected?

These tires only come in class e weight rating. Do they need high pressures to run properly?

Will the stock base rim with be an issue?

Thanks!
If you are not going to deflate them, it is just extra weight. Tall thin tires are great for sand, snow and mud (generally speaking). As long as the rim fits, wear it. Should be fine as it is 7". Just be sure to get an aggressive AT tread.
Sponsored

hellahella

Badlands
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I contacted Detroit Steel Wheels, they are the guys who built custom ”old school” wheels for Jay Leno’s first generation Bronco build that aired on Leno’s Garage.

They are building a set of steel wheels for the 2021 Bronco that you can purchase hub caps for. Here is a pic he sent me.

67F7F074-FFD4-4C4F-BA77-2B0DE229C72A.jpeg
Did they say in what style? I’ve been following them for the same reason

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did they say in what style? I’ve been following them for the same reason
I was only interested in the style shown in the pic but I think what they have available is on their website now.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm still interested in seeing what 235/86R16s will look like on a Bronco but I'll probably run my stock Big Bend wheels for a while. Lately I've been looking into 255/80R17s. Same width as stock but they measure out to ~33" in diameter. More options at that size too. Big dreams for mods but will probably just enjoy the vehicle for a while.
Xactly. And I like the stock BB wheels best, 255/80's are in my future.
Sponsored