Sponsored

285/75/17s on a Black Diamond NON Sasquatch?

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1. Are spacers absolutely necessary when getting the larger tire? If I'm keeping the stock steelies I mean......
No spacers required for going to the Toyo OC AT3 tires on stock wheels. Crash bars don't need removed either. You may get a tiny amount of rub on your sway bar - see photos above - not a concern for me.

2. Why would you trim the studs if you're putting on a spacer? Doesn't that make it so the studs are even less engaged with the lugnuts? I must be missing something here.
There are two styles of spacers. Thin spacers (<1") just have holes that allow them to fit over the wheel suds. Your lug nuts then thread to existing studs, but will have less thread to engage with (see photo above)
Thicker spacers have their own studs and a pocket to for a nut to secure them on to the existing studs. In the case of the Bronco, the studs on the rear wheels are longer than the front so if using a 1" spacer they will protrude a bit beyond the spacer to wheel mating surface. This is ok for alloy wheels that have a pocket on the backside. The steel wheels have no pocket and the protruding studs would interfere with the wheel. A 1.25" spacer will not have this issue. See a few photos below of a 1" spacer from this thread: Anyone running 1 inch wheel spacers? | Page 4 | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco & Bronco Raptor Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

1712341649111-s6.png

1712341768201-l1.png

3. After putting on the larger tire, is recalibrating the speedometer with Forscan required?
Not required, but your speedo, odometer and mpg calcs will be off by about 6%. I used Forscan to adjust to match GPS speed.

4. Leveling/lifting required at all? I want to avoid doing too much modifying.
Nope, that's the best part about this tire size: It is truly plug and play. Just install them and no other mods needed. It brings the non-sas Black Diamond right near the capability of the Badlands and sas models. Your ride height will be the same as a badlands and only 1.5" lower than a sasquatch. And since the badlands is on 33s, you'll have about a half inch more clearance under the axles.

Thanks to Scott, GiJo, redone, etc for all the info and photos.
(y)
Outstanding and thanks for the pics. I didn't realize there were spacers that came with their own studs so now everything makes total sense. Thanks for going into such detail!
Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thinking about getting the 285/75R17 Toyo tires after my General Grabbers are done and I've been through this thread a few times. I plan on keeping the steelies as I really like them. Just wanted to clarify a few things that are unclear to me:

1. Are spacers absolutely necessary when getting the larger tire? If I'm keeping the stock steelies I mean......

2. Why would you trim the studs if you're putting on a spacer? Doesn't that make it so the studs are even less engaged with the lugnuts? I must be missing something here.

3. After putting on the larger tire, is recalibrating the speedometer with Forscan required?

4. Leveling/lifting required at all? I want to avoid doing too much modifying.

Thanks to Scott, GiJo, redone, etc for all the info and photos.
Yep everything @Scott M said.
Yes I have only ever run quality bolt on spacers. I've never had a problem.

For me the spacers are mostly cosmetic. I did the spacers originaly when I had the Grabbers still to try to hold me over and not upgrade yet, but still make it look better and not as sunken in.

My tires now are 275/80-17 Milestar Patagonia XT's. Being so narrow I think they still look better with the spacers. I may do the KBD squared flares in the future and pull the spacers off. Only thing holding be back is the price, and the poor fitment most seem to have with them.

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep everything @Scott M said.
Yes I have only ever run quality bolt on spacers. I've never had a problem.

For me the spacers are mostly cosmetic. I did the spacers originaly when I had the Grabbers still to try to hold me over and not upgrade yet, but still make it look better and not as sunken in.

My tires now are 275/80-17 Milestar Patagonia XT's. Being so narrow I think they still look better with the spacers. I may do the KBD squared flares in the future and pull the spacers off. Only thing holding be back is the price, and the poor fitment most seem to have with them.
Ok cool. That’s a good idea to try the spacers with the Grabbers first. I only have 8k on them. And to be clear, if I do the spacers… do I get 1” for front and 1.25” for rear? Or 1.25” for all 4? I don’t want to cut any studs. Thanks!

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok cool. That’s a good idea to try the spacers with the Grabbers first. I only have 8k on them. And to be clear, if I do the spacers… do I get 1” for front and 1.25” for rear? Or 1.25” for all 4? I don’t want to cut any studs. Thanks!
Would probably be best to do 1.25" all the way around. They will be easier to find in sets of four. I happened to get a great deal on these 1" spacers so I just made them work.